Can you ride with the BRIGHTS on?

YoungAndDumb

Reaction score
Visit site
I have ran a couple batteries dead in the last few months. As of this last incident, I did it with a perfectly healthy battery and a perfectly healthy charging system (both have been checked twice now). Apparently, my riding (or should I say, sitting in traffic :Flip:) habits are to blame. So here's my question:

Does ANYONE besides me ride with their brights on all the time? If so, is your battery going dead like mine?

I have heard talk about keeping the revs up. I live in LA, so I spend a lot of time in traffic, but there are a lot of FZ6's in LA so I know I'm not the only one. I'm suspicious that the brights might be what's screwing me over and over again.

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
Never had that problem, run the brights all the time during the day.Two years on the same battery.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
before i did the dual harness i did, however i am not in a city so I guess it wouldn't have bothered mine plus when i get home mine goes on the optimate III every time!

YoungAndDumb

Reaction score
Visit site
Never had that problem, run the brights all the time during the day.Two years on the same battery.
What do your RPM's look like, if you can characterize them for me? Also, do you let the engine fan run after you shut down the bike? I was doing that for a while too, which I've now stopped.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my FZ6 in May 2007. For about a week, I heard "you've got a headlight out", brights on ever since, no battery problems, but only sat in 1 traffic jam so far. If the majority of your riding is sitting in traffic, I'd try running with just the low beam on and see if that helps, or get out of the city as much as possible to recharge the battery and yourself. I usually don't ride at less than 4krpm and I only let the fan run when I stop to hear that no pebbles are stuck in there to kill the fan motor as happened to several others here

Last edited:

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, do you let the engine fan run after you shut down the bike? I was doing that for a while too, which I've now stopped.

Thats good you have stopped. It doesnt cool the engine, its liquid cooled. I ride with my brights all day. At night I ride with them on unless a car flashes as me. I dont care if its to bright for them, they will see me better.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats good you have stopped. It doesnt cool the engine, its liquid cooled. I ride with my brights all day. At night I ride with them on unless a car flashes as me. I dont care if its to bright for them, they will see me better.

I think I only turn my brights off for about thirty seconds each week. I do a lot of freeway though, so I'm sure the bike is making plenty of electricity at 7k on the open road.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually ride with my low beams on ( I have done the dual headlight mod), but on occasion, I will ride with the high beams. My bike is about 16 months old, and I have never had a battery issue. But of course, during these 16 months, I have ridden my bike every single day. There has not been a single day that my bike was idle.

Keep in mind that anything less than 4000 rpms, you're pretty much draining the battery so keep your revs up! Like some other member said in another thread, 8000rpm is our happy place;).

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
even if the charging system is healthy it needs higher RPM's to keep the battery charged. You could consider a battery tender and plug your bike in every night. It sounds like your riding habits are the most to blame.

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
Brights on 100% during the day. My FZ is a 2006 and still running on stock battery. I seem to remember reading that for the charging system to be effective, your RPM's should be over 4K RPM's.