FZ6 on dirt

Traf001

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my FZ6 for about a year now and I'm planning a long distance trip this summer into the mountains. One of the rides I want to do is 30 miles of dirt road which is described as "suitable for any passenger car." I have the stock Dunlop 252's on my bike and am wondering if they will do OK on dirt. They don't need replacing yet. Should I plan to lower the pressures in the tires and pump them back up when I get back to pavement or just go for it? Thanks for any advice.

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had mine on gravel at low speeds but nothing more than a mile. It handled alright. As far as a long distance trek somebody on here will give you some good info on what to do like WRITEME43 or HAVBLUE are pretty wise fellas on these type things. Hold tight one of them will answer you for sure!!

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
If you're talking about fire roads/dirt roads, the kind cars can travel, no problem. I do it ALL the time. Just remember to go slow! It's not a KLR650.

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

One of my favourite mountain passes has a 6 mile stretch of gravel road right in the middle. Go slow, and stay off the front brake as much as you can as it will slide out from under you if you grab too much brake.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep... what they said. I did a couple of miles on gravel/dirt this morning. It was fine in 2nd and 3rd gears at low rpms.

However, I fear mud. Some say "no problem", but I've barely kept mine straight and upright on mud. That's what the XT is for:rockon:

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
So anyone have an opinion on the best pressure to run for extended dirt roads etc.?

For extended dirt road use I would run the lowest pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer. If you really run a lot in these conditions, I would look into an adventure touring tire like the Ulysses or 1200GS use... if the sizing is available.

Yamaha FZ6 Adventure Tourer... That would be cool. :rockon:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
For extended dirt road use I would run the lowest pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer.

And what approximately would that be most times? Tire manufacturers will tell you to run about 30 lbs. +/- at the track but I've never seen anything on LOWEST recommended pressue. Highest is on the sidewall but where would you find lowest?

Yamaha FZ6 Adventure Tourer... That would be cool. :rockon:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FlPH34wgEU"]YouTube - FZ6 river crossing[/ame]

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
And what approximately would that be most times? Tire manufacturers will tell you to run about 30 lbs. +/- at the track but I've never seen anything on LOWEST recommended pressue. Highest is on the sidewall but where would you find lowest?

Although I said tire manufacturer I meant Yamaha's recommended pressure (which is almost always too low) 33front/36rear if memory serves me. I have noticed a difference in "dirt road" stability with lower pressures, but I don't change it often as I'm not on dirt for extended periods....usually.

Check this link for Metzeler Recommended Minimum Tire Pressures http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/products/tire_pressures/default.page

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We dirtbiked for a while on the Covered Bridge tour. No problem! 5 FZ6's without a spill along with a Ninja 500, an SV650 and a V Star 650.

Do you plan on taking a 12V compressor with you? Make sure you have an accessory outlet of the Battery Tender jack to use. It would be a bear to have to lift the tank to blow up the tires. :D

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
please keep us updated with pictures of the fz6 on dirt and/or any clips!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27263322@N05/2564977656/sizes/o/

2687577759_5f97656bd8_o.jpg

:rof: