General Track Day Info - Getting Started Etc.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I will add information to this over time...

THE INFORMATION I'M POSTING PERTAINS TO THE FZ6 AND THE U.S.A.! FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR OWN LOCAL COUNTRY INFO. AS YOU SEE FIT. ALSO, FEEL FREE TO POST ANY QUESTIONS THAT YOU THINK SHOULD BE ANSWERED HERE.

General Information Sources:

trackdaymag.com: TrackdayMag - Home
This site has a map for finding tracks and track day orgs in your area. It also has a ton of great articles and product reviews as you'd expect from a magazine.

ApexJunkie.com: TrackDays
Great "what to expect on the first day" information written by a NESBA control rider.

National Track Day Providers:

NESBA track day org: NESBA : Northeast Sports Bike Association
NESBA provides excellent instruction both on and off the track, is a non-profit org., offers FREE intro sessions, and has a helpful online forum. This is my preferred org right now.

STT track day org: Sportbike Track Time - Get on the right track !! Toll Free #888-390-4020
Similar to NESBA but with a more structured Beginner class with 6 or 7 classroom sessions every day. For profit but still a pretty friendly org. They also have a online forum but it's not too active.

Protective Gear:

The required prep will vary from track day organization to organization, region to region, and of course the level you're at. The track day you sign up for will provide you with the requirements in advance. For example, STT and NESBA post all gear requirements on their website by level (novice, intermediate, advanced....).

Dedicated back and chest protectors are highly recommended.

Stock FZ6 at the track:
(ground clearance, tires, suspension, brakes, etc.)

Please remove your peg feelers and sidestand. The sidestand switch can simply be folded back and zip-tied in place.

To be continued...

Insurance Coverage:

Track day accident coverage will vary by provider. Most companies will cover you so long as the track day is not a "timed event" and has the underlying purpose of skill enhancement. Check how you track day provider markets their offerings and then check YOUR insurance policy.

Whatever you do, make sure you have proper health insurance!!!

Bike Preparation:

The required prep will vary from track day organization to organization, region to region, and of course the level you're at. The track day you sign up for will provide you with the requirements in advance. For example, STT and NESBA post all bike requirements on their website by level (novice, intermediate, advanced....).

That said, there is no such thing as making your bike too safe. A safe bike benefits you and those you share the track with (who have paid a lot of $$$ to be there and want to go home safe). I won't spend any more time on bike prep. since many issues specific to the FZ6 were addressed above, and it's largely dictated by org. / personal choice.

Here are some pictures of the safety wire I use on my FZ6:

2748538386_a8ce98b097_b.jpg

2747701271_32f4791489_b.jpg

2747712405_d1a0e55b5b_b.jpg

2748542538_ab85c959ab_b.jpg

I also prep my bike with distilled water and water wetter in place of regular coolant.

The FZ6 in Action!!!!:

Autobahn Country Club, Joliet, IL - Turn 7
2453853579_9a0aae0aee_b.jpg

Ped, Hellgate, etc. we need more pics!

3801965146_7b9b2886df_o.jpg

Last edited:

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!

I'm in the process of getting my 07 GSXR600 ready for the track. Just need plastics now!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
fz6nick said:
Is one tank of gas going to be enough? Am I going to need to bring like a 5 gallon gascan with me?

It depends on your pace.

Faster guys cover more distance during the day and are at WOT more of the time. If you think about the amount of track time you're going to get, your anticipated lap times, the track length, and factor in a low MPG, you should be able to estimate your fuel consumption.

At the track, I always keep the bike at about 2 gallons and just keep adding to it every other session during the day as I can definitely notice the difference in weight a full tank makes when in knee-draggin trim. In any event, most tracks have gas pumps but the cost is usually really high.

If you don't have a gas can and don't want to buy one, I'd just show up with a full tank and keep an eye on it. The last thing you want to do is run out of gas on the track.

bard

Secret Soi Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is another tip remove the peg nipples as they will hit the tarmac before your knee which is not what you want.

For FZ6 I found that I have to put my toe on top of the inside peg in the curves as if you use normal track technique your toe will hit before your knee which is also not what you want.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I went my first time with a full tank of gas and didn't run out...had an extra 5 gallon container borrowed from a riding friend. I could feel how much easier the end of day was with a 1/4 tank of gas left! Next time, I'll just add for each session, but not a full tank. Gas cans are cheap, so you should just get one...plus a jerry can help save your car too ;)

Thank you for the advice, Defy! It's really good stuff.

As many can assume, the track has high speeds, but a safe environment. Don't go to be stupid. Please go to work on technique...the speed will follow. AND after the track, you'll realize that "some" of us need to SLOW DOWN on the street...

you requested some pics of our FZ's in action: (Streets of Willow Springs, Willow Springs Raceway, CA)

n3610222_39956243_3537.jpg

n3610222_39956248_4703.jpg

n3610222_40079223_9455.jpg

Last edited:

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Man with all these preps for the track, we are talking lots of money. I always wanted to go to the track, but I will wait a whole lot longer now knowing how much money I will be throwing out. But I love those pics. Please post more track pics and our FZ6 riping thru the turns. :rockon:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Man with all these preps for the track, we are talking lots of money.

At first, the only real cost is the track fee and getting there. Assuming you already have proper safety gear. What other costs are you talking about?

The cost of NOT having the skills that can be acquired in a "safe" environment at the track are potentially far greater than the monetary cost of gettting out there a couple times a year.

NESBA offers free intro sessions for first timers. That's right, free track time. Check it out on their website.

Truth

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots if great info, and great post!

I'm looking forward to my first track day, but in the mean time I'll watch the other guys rip around. Great fun even if you're only a spectator.

Are you guys using dedicated, track only bikes? And what's the deal with the safety wire? I can't tell what it's for.

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
At first, the only real cost is the track fee and getting there. Assuming you already have proper safety gear. What other costs are you talking about?

The cost of NOT having the skills that can be acquired in a "safe" environment at the track are potentially far greater than the monetary cost of gettting out there a couple times a year.

NESBA offers free intro sessions for first timers. That's right, free track time. Check it out on their website.

Good points. This holds true of track day costs and of riding school costs. I often hear people balk at the idea of spending $$$ on a good quality riding school only to hear them talking about re-painting or putting on trick parts. The money you invest in improving your skills is absolutely worth it if it prevents you from having even one crash. We often have people sending notes to our school (California Superbike School) saying that the techniques learned saved their lives!!! Can't put a price tag on that.

The track is a great place to practice and improve your riding skills in a safe and controlled environment. The only way it gets super expensive is when you get addicted to track days or racing like I did and you spend your life savings chasing your dreams ;)

Ride safe!

Misti

'05FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
^ Well said.

I will add information to this over time...

Well, if you insist :D

Stock FZ6 at the track:
(ground clearance, tires, suspension, brakes, etc.)

Please remove your peg feelers and sidestand. The sidestand switch can simply be folded back and zip-tied in place.

To be continued...

I'm prepping for my first track day (at Road America in WI), interestingly enough in the intro group and noticed that the stock suspension (shock) was adjustable. I'm 5'10, 165 lbs. and want to be able to make the most of the suspension when on such a fast track against those with more power.

I removed my center stand, what should I use to remove the peg feelers? To be honest I'm not that sure I really want to remove these unless it's really needed...

Any suggestions on tire pressure/shock setting? I'm running the Michelin Pilot 2CT's.

Any creative suggestions if you don't have the 'special wrench' the manual calls out to adjust the stock shock?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
you could always just grind the peg feelers off (as the previous owner did to my bike!)

maybe a set of mole grips, not sure if they unscrew

'05FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Any creative suggestions if you don't have the 'special wrench' the manual calls out to adjust the stock shock?

Thanks for the help!

Looks like I forgot the tool kit that is underneath the seat... there it is!

Track day at RA was bad ass! Went too hot into turn 6 one lap but managed to keep it up right :rockon:

Anyone who hasn't tried a track day should!

BTW, I was told by another rider that you shouldn't be using the rear break much if at all on the track. Make sure to make good use of down shifting to slow you going into corners as well as (obviously) the front break! I could have used those reminders my first day out...

Last edited:

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Great post Nate, I have been really thinking on doing some Track riding. but notice that some of these track days are out of California. So does that mean that i will have to travel or are there any organizations Near by?

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
as for the peg feelers just take a pair of pliers to them they unscrew... and you would definately want to do this before hitting the track... they offer you much more lean angle and the bike will hit the peg before you run out of lean angle... i removed mine the second week i had my bike... huge difference in confidence knowing i had more lean to work with in a turn... track days are a great investment and can teach you loads about yourself and your motorcycle and not only that they instill great habits for proper riding...

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
as for the peg feelers just take a pair of pliers to them they unscrew... and you would definately want to do this before hitting the track... they offer you much more lean angle and the bike will hit the peg before you run out of lean angle... i removed mine the second week i had my bike... huge difference in confidence knowing i had more lean to work with in a turn... track days are a great investment and can teach you loads about yourself and your motorcycle and not only that they instill great habits for proper riding...

I have yet to ride my FZ, but i have a question about these peg feelers..

On the street, does it make sense to have them on as well? I was under the impression that they would act as a warning that you were getting too low and close to scraping something that could actually make you low side...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have yet to ride my FZ, but i have a question about these peg feelers..

On the street, does it make sense to have them on as well? I was under the impression that they would act as a warning that you were getting too low and close to scraping something that could actually make you low side...

That is their intended purpose. However, if you need them on the street to tell you're leaning the bike over too far, you are either pushing it too hard or your form is off.

I've scraped mine few times before I pulled them off (only because I was taking the bike to the track), but it was during very slow u-turns where I was practicing making tightest turns possible.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
My first track day is two weeks away and I'm starting to get itchy. Peg feelers, center stand removed. What else? Got my painter's tape, safety wires, etc. Lots of good info here, but I feel like I should be doing more to the bike.