How about this?

W

wrightme43

Ok
It was time to adjust throttle freeplay. It was out of spec.
Following the manual,
Remove seat, remove tank, remove airbox, remove battery.
Adjust

Reassemble, All conections are back where they are supposed to be.
Try to start bike, the fuel pump runs for a long time like its not able to build pressure or the line is full of air.
Attempt again. no start.
Acts like it has no fuel.
Tank is 3/4 full.
Remove conections on the bottom of the tank and reconnect.
Same condition.
Remove fuel line from the pump. Key on, fuel pumps.
Reconnect, attempt start. Fuel pump runs for a very long time then shuts down. Attempt start. no start.
Remove tank.
Disconnect fuel line at the rail
Check for obstruction. No obstruction. Reconnect fuel line at the tank, leaving it loose at the rail. Key on fuel out of the line, steady stream unknown pressure.

Reconnect. No start. Fuel pump runs on a long time.

Complete disassembly to see if I missed any connections or damaged kinked, or otherwise hurt any systems. Nothing I can find. All connections were opened and then reassembled.

Reassemble after charging the battery.
No start fuel pump runs on long time. It used to be very short.

It seems like the fuel system either has air in it and will not purge in the rail. Or that the fuel pump has picked this time to pump volume, but at hardly any pressure.

Any other ideas.

I used to be a desiel mechanic, and have pretty good mechanical experince.
I have been wrong many times in life, and if you have a good idea, toss it at me.

I am still under warrenty.

3 year unlimited miles.

W

wrightme43

Ok I have verified spark.
I have a spark plug with a clip soldered to it. Remove plug wire, attach to test plug, clip to exhaust manifold, crank engine. Hot blue spark with a consistancy.

I have compression.

It is with out a doubt a fuel delivery problem.
Line is not obstructed.

W

wrightme43

Completely tore down, and reassembled again. Triple verified everything is right.
Spark Yes
I can feel the suction at the airbox intake.
Fuel in the tank. Yes
Fuel in the line. Yes

I am very very confused.

I put the battery on the tender.
I will buy ether tomorrow. (yeah I know)
I will squirt it, and see if it will run on a outside fuel source. If so, it I think that makes a warrenty claim. It sucks though. I want to ride my bike.

W

wrightme43

Ran batt down again. It spits and sputters every once in a while. Still acting like fuel is not getting injected properly.
I am very confused. I dont know if its something I did, or it is just a coinciendence, or a part failure, or what.

Normally
If something has fuel, spark, and compression it will run no matter how badly.
This has those three things as far as I can check.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Sorry Steve. I can literally feel your frustration after reading your posts. I think you should take it to the dealer and make them sort it out. I mean jeez, it sounds like you have really spent a lot of time trying to resolve this. Make them earn that extra warranty money! :surrender:

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like it has air the fuel system has a problem priming back up. Have you tried holding the throttle wide open while trying to start the bike. That's what is suggested when a FI car is run out of gas and has to be primed. Just a thought.:confused:

W

wrightme43

Yep just got home and tried that on a fully charged battery.
Spoke to my friend ASE cert Master Mech.
He says from the symptons it is not getting signal to the injectors.
If it was air it would be out, and the pump would overide the air anyway.
If it was a bad pump it would either run rich from not enough line pressure to close the injector after it opens or run lean from not have enough spray from the injector.
Pump checks out good anyway. It has a solid pressure on the line and the rail.
Injector relay is the next step.
I have reverified all the plugs are in order for the 5th or 6th time now.

W

wrightme43

It is going to the shop.
F it right in the pooper and feed it fish heads.

They said it will be a while before they can look at it.
Oh well.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok
It was time to adjust throttle freeplay. It was out of spec.
Following the manual,
Remove seat, remove tank, remove airbox, remove battery.
Adjust

Reassemble, All conections are back where they are supposed to be.
Try to start bike, the fuel pump runs for a long time like its not able to build pressure or the line is full of air.
Attempt again. no start.
Acts like it has no fuel.
Tank is 3/4 full.
Remove conections on the bottom of the tank and reconnect.
Same condition.
Remove fuel line from the pump. Key on, fuel pumps.
Reconnect, attempt start. Fuel pump runs for a very long time then shuts down. Attempt start. no start.
Remove tank.
Disconnect fuel line at the rail
Check for obstruction. No obstruction. Reconnect fuel line at the tank, leaving it loose at the rail. Key on fuel out of the line, steady stream unknown pressure.

Reconnect. No start. Fuel pump runs on a long time.

Complete disassembly to see if I missed any connections or damaged kinked, or otherwise hurt any systems. Nothing I can find. All connections were opened and then reassembled.

Reassemble after charging the battery.
No start fuel pump runs on long time. It used to be very short.

It seems like the fuel system either has air in it and will not purge in the rail. Or that the fuel pump has picked this time to pump volume, but at hardly any pressure.

Any other ideas.

I used to be a desiel mechanic, and have pretty good mechanical experince.
I have been wrong many times in life, and if you have a good idea, toss it at me.

I am still under warrenty.

3 year unlimited miles.
Off to the dealer it is then mate, time to trade up to the BLACK and SILVER one. that don't suffer this sort of problem..

W

wrightme43

LOL
Its at the dealer.
They said the Yamaha trained mechanic that is best on these new ones is going on vacation next week. Even if he gets to it tomorrow or saturday, it would be friday next week before the parts get here. Then since he wont be back till tuesday of the week after next, I guess it will be a while before I see her again.
All you guys that are needing to catch up on milage now is your chance. 82xx miles since april.

Sad Sad Sad Sad.
I had a date with a pretty little petite redhead to ride saturday. No bike No ride.
Sorrow Oh woe is me.
I cant even go sit on it.
I wish I had a extra bike now. I need to round up another one.

Oh say this one
Honda Motorcycles

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Buuummmeerrr, man. My big question to the mechanic would be what was the actual cause of the signal malfuntion? Doing the things you did should have had no bearing on that kind of problem. It's odd that it just so happend to f&@# up when you had stuff apart. Good thing the warranty should take care of it.:confused:

W

wrightme43

I may of messed something up as well. I dont believe I did, but it is a possibility.
If I did, I would say it was something that was marginal bad, and by touching or bumping it, caused it to fail all the way.

re-pete

Reaction score
Visit site
Wrightme43, you have way more patience than i do. Bike would be off to the dealer long ago. Hope it doesn't take long to sort out though. Keep at the dealer call them everyday or run the risk of it just sitting in the corner until they "get round to it"
I agrree with perryn, buy a silver and black one. :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
(quote) I cant even go sit on it.

Were you talking about the redhead or your bike? LOL

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wrightme43, you have way more patience than i do. Bike would be off to the dealer long ago. Hope it doesn't take long to sort out though. Keep at the dealer call them everyday or run the risk of it just sitting in the corner until they "get round to it"
I agrree with perryn, buy a silver and black one. :)
It makes sense...........................

W

wrightme43

Well the redhead is still up for a date, she was disappointed that there would be no riding though. Oh well. Coffee, conversation and the new Simpsons movie will just have to do.

If they had the option of 2007 in black thats what I would of got. I love black bikes. Then add copper and blue retroreflective flames.
Its the only way to go.

W

wrightme43

Damn it I miss that bike so freaking bad. I want my little ninjette back. And my big FZ back. And a 07 VFR. And a 75 honda cb. And a RC 30. And a Triumph speed triple.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the redhead is still up for a date, she was disappointed that there would be no riding though. Oh well. Coffee, conversation and the new Simpsons movie will just have to do.

If they had the option of 2007 in black thats what I would of got. I love black bikes. Then add copper and blue retroreflective flames.
Its the only way to go.

Maybe it's a British use of the word, but I'm sure there has to be a pun about "no riding" on a frst date ;)