FZ6 as Girls first bike - what do you think?

talus

Reaction score
Visit site
So, my wife is just finishing the MSA course and I have been shopping for a bike for her. Since she is a very new rider we were thinking about an old 400cc beater as a starter.

Then I ran into a 2005 FZ6 with 3500 KM (2200 Miles). Never in the rain, single girl owner, never dropped. Pretty much new out of the box and I'm pretty sure it hasn't seen high side of 10,000 RPM either. The seller was a new rider and is giving it up.

I think I can get it for $5000 CDN - for comparison the best price I can find on a new 2006 is $7000 not including taxes (add another 14%)

It would be my wifes' first bike and I think I would steal it occasionally for my work commute. I normally ride a VFR800 but even it's "relaxed" sport touring posture is nowhere near as comfortable as the FZ6' when your stuck in traffic.

What do you guys and gals think? I know I'm asking the converted but give me the good and bad points please.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It would be my wifes' first bike and I think I would steal it occasionally for my work commute. I normally ride a VFR800 but even it's "relaxed" sport touring posture is nowhere near as comfortable as the FZ6' when your stuck in traffic.

What do you guys and gals think? I know I'm asking the converted but give me the good and bad points please.[/quote]
Mate I think its a great choice as the FZ6 is predictable in relation to rider input. The only bad point I have come across is the slightly on off throttle due to the fuel injection. Having said that I have not tried to adjust the throttle cable. So its great to geat comfy on as a beginner. Despite what many reviews say, it does not require masses of gear changes to keep it moving. These reviews are written by people who look at acceleration and top end. I ride (commute) every day and don't come home with an aching left ankle. + Once its got used to it totally has the ability to thrill. The average FZ6 rider will reach their limits before the bike reaches its. If your wife could get a test ride that we be cool as its her decision. It also sounds like its a bargin. Why is the other rider quitting? Talus is an interesting name. Is it something to do with the highly articulate joint of the tibia amd fibula?

Last edited:

talus

Reaction score
Visit site
Why is the other rider quitting?

The other rider is a new mom and her husband doesn't ride so the bike just sits most of the time. She feels guilty about that - or she's lying and out to buy an R1! :)

My wife is worried about bashing up a shinny new bike. She had a little spill on the CB 125 trainer and now accepts the fact that gravity sucks - pretty much all of the time.

I was thinking that some frame sliders could go a long way to minimizing any damage. And that a VFR and FZ would make a nice combination when out for a cruise.

S

sportrider

how much experience does she have? the FZ6 is a forgiving bike but it does have enough oomph to get you in trouble if your riding over your head. plus it weighs roughly 450lbs that can be overwhelming for a new rider. I believe in the theory start small gain experience before moving on to a bigger bike. a good first bike is a good first bike male/female no difference. I recommend the Kawasaki Ninja 250 for a first bike they are relatively cheap and easy to perform routine maintenance plus they are fun to ride. I bought my wife one a few months ago I think it was a good choice, she now has 526 miles on the clock and I've just done the first service which included adjusting the valves.( actually very easy, just like a VW bug) that's my honest 2 cents. if your wife already has street experience the FZ6 is a great choice!!!
:Sport:
P.S. welcome aboard!!!

W

wrightme43

Second on the ninja250 as a great learner. Thats where I started, 8k miles later went to the FZ6. I sold the ninja for 100$ less than I paid for it, I bought it used for 2500$
Ninja 250 Riders Club is a very thorough site on the littlest ninja. I enjoyed mine, and it is a very confidence inspiring bike IF IF IF IF you remove the stock tires and throw them away.

talus

Reaction score
Visit site
That is great info re: the 250 Ninja. I have looked at the Ninja as well as the new CBR 125. What did you and your wife think of the Ninja riding position? I did not sit on it and worry that it may be to much sport bike tuck/hunch? Is it just as upright as the FZ? Can you get the pressure off your wrists? How is the slow speed handling?

My wife will have nothing other than her MSA course (~16 hrs on CB125's) and then a Traffic Skills course (~14 hrs group street riding on 250cc-650cc bikes). I realize that is a pretty shallow well to draw from and the name of game here is to keep things fun and not scarry.

I agree that weight is a very important part of the equation. The 250 Ninja is 305 LBS dry. All the old beater 400cc bikes tend to be ~400 LBS so they are about the same as the FZ.

I think that what makes a good beginner bike is one that handles well at slow speeds. On my VFR it is very challenging to get the steering column all the way to the lock - you just can't get your hands in between the tank and grip. That makes slow speed handling a chore and you really have to work for your u-turns. And the VFR is easy compared to full sport like a CBR or GSXR. Sportbikes just were not designed for that type of maneuvering. I don't want the FZ6 to fall into this category.

I also feel that a beginner bike should have a decent amount of torque. It helps with throttle/clutch co-ordination. Or un-coordination as the new rider case may be. This is where I was thinking the Suzuki SV's fit in nicely with their engines.

As for speed - you can get almost any bike to go fast enough to kill you no matter what it is.

The upright ride is what I like about the FZ6. And I fully agree about the amount of power available - I took it for a spin and it was nice and peppy. That is what concerns me most - do raw beginner riders feel it's handful or can it be easily tamed?

What really bothers me that there is a lack of beginner street bikes to start on. I grew up on motocross and you could always find a bike to fit your size... from 50cc to 500cc +.

I have even been looking hard a street legal dual-sports such as KLR250, XT225 and WR400. I love these bikes - first thing you do is drop them so they look like you use them : ) Very good slow speed handling. Great torque. Very reliable and dead simple to maintain. Somewhat of a stretch to reach the ground if you aren't tall enough - not a problem for wife. But they do lack highway ability and have such limited protection from the elements that you can't really go anywhere with them.

Thanks for the welcome. Keep the input coming - I respect it all.

W

wrightme43

Well the little ninja is sport standard just like our FZ. The seat position is almost identicle, it is a little closer to the ground. So wrist pressure or seating position are not reallly a issue.
I never had a issue with the torque or hp output. It is a quick fun bike to ride. Like I said before the stock tires stink. I would also recomend if you buy used to drain and replace the brake fluide while swapping to braided lines and good pads. It makes a huge difference in feel to me.

Alot of ladies ride the ninja 250. One of them on the site Marylin is very cool, she is a grandmother and has been riding for 25 years. She has a vfr as well (older 400)

I agree I wish they would bring back the smaller bikes, I would of bought the fz with half the displacement and hp for the brakes, fuel injection, gauge pack, and radial tires. I like the power but it is very easy to get to speeds that are just to fast for the street.

S

sportrider

I would go for the 250, my wife has rode my FZ6 once and was very intimidated by it. she now has 500 miles on the little ninja and is starting to understand what my motorcycle love affair is all about. not to mention I just performed the 1st service on the Ninja including the value adjustment, it was fairly easy. I called my local dealer and they wanted $400.00 to do the service with the valve adjustment, so I saved myself that money!!! it only took about 3 hours (but I know I could do it faster the next time) from start to finish. so maintenance is no big deal, if your mechanically inclined.
as far as worrying about the torque the bike is surprising on how well it really runs, I weigh 225 + or - lbs and it pulls me with no problems. the seating position is similar to the FZ and in a tuck wind protection is good. also I agree with writeme43 the stock tires are junk!!! I haven't replaced them yet but new rubber is the top priority on the must do list. the stock tires are loud and squirrelly( my wife will 2nd that 100%) , we haven't desided on the replacement tires yet but we will soon.
anyhow thats my 2 cents worth again, feel free to ask anything else you want to know!!!

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I find that if you keep the FZ under 7000 rev/min, it's quite tame. You're still going to beat 99% of the traffic on the roads away from the lights at that. But it all quite calm & comfortable.

Get it over 7k & it's a different animal all together! My '07 has 2200 miles on the clock now, the first time I opened her up after the break in period stunned me. I don't know the actual performance figures, but it's not many seconds between 0 & 100 mph.

I've had a break of 20 years since my last bike, & technology has moved on a bit since then, so I'm almost in the new rider bracket. I'm still something of a wuss when it comes to corners & while I'm still pushing my limits, I've got nowhere near pushing the FZ's limits.

rdksek844

Newbie Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought one as my very first bike, and I have also ridden a ninja 250 as my very first bike encounter. I can agree that the 250 is a little easier to learn on. Very easy bike to ride, but I will say the FZ is very easy also, and just like said before, below 7,000 rpms it is as docile as a lamb. I have ridden my FZ6 twice now, and hope to go out tomorrow, and I have never been surprised by the bike at all. Everything I wanted it to do, it did. I have never taken it above 8000 rpms as I have not needed to, but I know when the time comes and I am ready, I will see the redline.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I find that if you keep the FZ under 7000 rev/min, it's quite tame. You're still going to beat 99% of the traffic on the roads away from the lights at that. But it all quite calm & comfortable.

Totally agree

The FZ6 is my first bike ... Its a pleasure to ride. I am only 5ft 7 tall and 72kg but it fits and feels like a silk glove....
its very easy to ride and very tame if you don't wind on the throttle.
It does everything I ask of it and is really good to ride around town as much as out in the twisties ....

The brakes are fantastic and the ride position is very comfy. It has a massive fuel tank and easy to read instruments ... what more could you ask for :)

I have had a little play above 7000 revs but only when i'm certain I have a clear run ahead in areas that no traffic can pull out on me. I'm sure it has more capabilities than I'll ever dare push it to. Maybe i'll test it a little after a few thousand more miles :)

10/10 and no regrets on my purchase. For a mature enough rider I agree with the people who recommended it to me as a first bike. People might argue against a 600cc bike to start on but I'm sure if you stick to the basics and don't ride like Rossi out on the streets then its ideal.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Go for it!

I think FZ6 is a great first bike for women. Especially if you're looking for something that will be useable for more than a year. I have mine as my first bike and at the moment I think that there isn't a better one in the market.

Here are a few things to consider (not in any special order):

+ Upright riding position
Arms and back won't get so tired in longer rides and it's easy to see around you. Sitting farther back in the seat changes the position more fit for motorway driving.

+ Half fairings
I know some of us like to feel the wind on their faces, but I rather appreciate the cover the fairing gives.

+ Indicator display for dummies
Tachometer stops flashing -> engine warm enough for driving; Fuel level starts flashing -> go refuel; speedometer showing three numbers starting with 2 -> oops, I did it again -> slow down.

+ Tame behaviour on lower revs
It won't jump out of hands with inexperienced drivers.

+ Enough power
It will keep you happy for a long time. When you turn the throttle, the bike _will_ move.

+ Low center of gravity
The bike is not very heavy and when most of the weight is down close to the ground it's quite easy to handle.

+ Good driving features
+ Long service interval
+ Beautiful appearance
+ Easy to find parts and place for service
+ Maintains its value

- Wind noice and air resistance
On some riders it's more noticeable, but a taller touring screen may help.

- Height
It's not the lowest bike, I must admit. I'm 5'7'' and I get the balls of my feet down nicely. Even my heels on even ground. Moving the bike around while seated is not the easiest thing to do, but I've managed. And I dare say that being a woman your wife will be quite careful with her bike. Not to say that men aren't, but... ;) :Flip: The bike can be lowered too by changing the dog bones for shorter ones and modifying the seat.

- Hard seat
Hands up anyone whose a** hasn't grown numb on longer rides. Anyone? Anyone...? Yep, the seat is not the best one.

All in all, the FZ6 is a great bike. And as many have said it goes only as fast as the one holding the throttle will make it go. And I can assure you that the FZ6 will not make your wife feel uncomfortable at any point. (Except the seat maybe. But it can be replaced.) And she won't propably get tired of it any time soon.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+ Indicator display for dummies
Tachometer stops flashing -> engine warm enough for driving;
Hmmm, I have not noticed that yet. I'll have to watch for it tonight when I start my evening practice session (I had just been waiting until the Temp indicator went from "Lo" to "xxx degrees"... ).