What type of spark plugs??

fudge_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
from what I understand they are the stock plugs I'm just wondering if anybody has tried any other type of plug. ex. platinum plugs, etc.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Interesting. I haven't changed my plugs, so I didn't know that.

I did some quick reading, and according to NGK, the extra grounds are there to extend the plug lifetime. That does make sense.

I'll revise my statement to say that you won't see a performance gain from extra ground electrodes.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have iridiums in (CR9EIX).... The bike idles better and is stronger through the rev range... not huge, but noticable.... The theory is that they will last much longer as well....

Im using the same ones too.. I also noticed a difference.

jsp

Easyrider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have iridiums in (CR9EIX).... The bike idles better and is stronger through the rev range... not huge, but noticable.... The theory is that they will last much longer as well....

I was told about that.
As it seems, the Iridium plugs (NGK CR9EIX) with a single ground electrode is more effective than the stock ones (NGK CR9EK) with two ground electrodes.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Go with the Iridium plugs. They are only a $ more per plug at Advance Auto here in Orlando than the std plug. Suppose to give hotter spark and more durable electrode. I have heard claims of more HP too. I just figured for an additional $4 why not go to of line?

IMHO!:thumbup:

Lewis

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the CR9EKs, which I paid like $22 for... then I got redoliander some CR9EIX from a buddy of mine for $20. He seems to like them...

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
I was told about that.
As it seems, the Iridium plugs (NGK CR9EIX) with a single ground electrode is more effective than the stock ones (NGK CR9EK) with two ground electrodes.

my assumption is that the other electrode will hinder the flame front or shield the mixture when the spark gaps to the other electrode. kinda like indexing the spark plugs.
voltage takes the path of least resistance. each electrode is "working" half as much. thats why they last longer as two.

all for the extended maintenance interval.......

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got through replacing my stock plugs with the CR9EIX's. I broke my plug tool, so I was worried about the project ahead. I took the upper and lower radiator mount off and pulled the wires. It was nice to see they were numbered(idiot proof). I gathered the tools(plug socket, 2 extensions and a rachet), and got busy. I started with #4, and it went too easy, so I knew something was wrong!:eek: Moved onto #3, which was a little harder, but still on the butter side, #2 was the trickiest for me. I have huge hands, and had to work a little to get it out. When I say tricky, I mean 5 minutes worth of wiggling a socket extension to get the plug backed out. Once I was done with #3 I grabed a beer and prepaired myself for the dreaded #1 plug! I put the socket and extension in, and slid the rachet in between the v in the frame right next to #1. It was the easiest of all 4, I don't really see the big deal that people make of this. I have HUGE hands and had no problems with it, 45 minutes start to finish.

Here is a pic of the stock plugs with a little of 7,000 miles on them.