Frame Sliders "How To"

Eviloliv3

I'm here for the women
Reaction score
Visit site
So I didnt see any thread with a "how-to" on frame sliders. So here goes with all the pics i took. i know its easy but i had some free time...

So first you will need the get some frame sliders. The ones i purchased were from Uncaged and arrived in a few days. They come with longer bolts, the mounting hardware and the tips which is the part that comes in contact (hopefully not) with the ground.

img0112mediumxi8.jpg

First you will need the correct Allen wrench size. I do not know the exact size of the allen due to the tool being old and without writing on it. I just dug through the drawers in my fathers chest til i found a fitting on. If you need, take the bolt in the kit to a local autoparts store. Most stores will let you borrow tools for a little while. the bolt was slightly tighter than hand tight, but not too tight.

img0113mediumbo3.jpg

take the new bolt and use the washer off of the old bolt for extra support.

img0114mediumng1.jpg

insert into slider hardware and thread in by hand until flush, then tighten up to manufacturers specs.

img0116mediumyn9.jpg

Eviloliv3

I'm here for the women
Reaction score
Visit site
With the uncaged sliders, you just have to thread in the slider ends and you are done with that side. repeat for the other side and you are done!!!

img0123mediumcg1.jpg

it took me a total of 10 minutes including finding tools, talking on phone, taking pictures and setting up lighting for pictures. if i was just doing the install itself, it would be a total of 2 minutes easy. DONT FORGET to do just one side at a time. if you remove both bolts at the same time, your engine might sag and make it hard to replace the bolts.

Finished product...

fz6desktopqi8.jpg

W

wrightme43

Good job, thanks for the write up. I like those much better than mine.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I paid something like $70 for these same Uncaged sliders. That's with tax and shipping. Oh yeah and these black ones are a little more expensive than the silver.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The one problem I had installing mine was the depth of the slider on one side. I needed a long metric Allen wrench that fit on my torque wrench, haven't found anything yet. I did just buy some "T"-handle heavy-duty allen wrenches (Craftsman on sale!), now I just need to jury-rig something to fit them to my torque wrench.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
The bolts take an 8mm allen wrench.

I got my sliders from FS6 Sliders (hmmm, FS6........FZ6......gotta be a coincidence). They were pretty slow shipping them too me, took about 5 weeks before I had them in hand, but they refunded my shipping costs in the end. They are Canadian based so you canucks shouldn't have that problem. They were relatively cheap (40 USD) and the hardware seems good, but I haven't had any occasion to test them yet. If anyone is interested I'll snap some pics and post up for comparison.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you looked for sliders in the UK? I'm struggling to find the here. I understand R&G do the for about £55 a set but they appear to be special order only.

I'm also after crash bobbins for the swinging arm; same problem.
I have mate. I have heard mixed things about the quality of them.

W

wrightme43

I have the 15$ extended length solid aluminum ones from ebay. I have tested them and they did thier job very well. They are however very very ugly. Upside you can put one foot at a time on them, for somewhere else to rest your leg on long trips. Its not comfortable, but it somewhere else to put the foot for a minute and it helps.

Ironhide

Reaction score
Visit site
The bolts take an 8mm allen wrench.

I got my sliders from FS6 Sliders (hmmm, FS6........FZ6......gotta be a coincidence). They were pretty slow shipping them too me, took about 5 weeks before I had them in hand, but they refunded my shipping costs in the end. They are Canadian based so you canucks shouldn't have that problem. They were relatively cheap (40 USD) and the hardware seems good, but I haven't had any occasion to test them yet. If anyone is interested I'll snap some pics and post up for comparison.

I purchased mine from the same place. Ordered Tues and arrived Thursday the day after i dropped my bike. Very easy to install

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasnt going to put on sliders because I'm lazy and thought it would take awhile. Thanks to your how-to I'm going to go look at getting some. Thanks for the post and they look great!:thumbup:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Although my 06 FZ6 has a black frame/black engine, they list the silver-coloured base for 2004-2006, and the black base for the 07 FZ6. I don't think there's any difference in the frames, so the black-based "07" slider should fit my 06 ok, correct?
I currently have the OEM Yamaha sliders on my bike.

delboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you looked for sliders in the UK? I'm struggling to find the here. I understand R&G do the for about £55 a set but they appear to be special order only.

I'm also after crash bobbins for the swinging arm; same problem.

Hi there! I got some sliders off ebay from the UK last week and they are really good quality. Cost £29 + postage. The sellers name is coastalservices22
Very quick delivery too! Hope that helps :thumbup: