Drive chain slack?

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
I was running the bike at a standstill in 6th gear at idle, to clean and lube the chain, and I noticed that the chain slaps around quite a bit. Measuring it, there's about 1-7/8" slack, outside-to-outside. That seems like a lot to me, but the owner's manual specs 1.77-2.17". Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks. It's an '07 fz6.

p.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It'll slap around when the bike is up on the stand, but you shouldn't have it in 6th standing still. Maybe 1st. Most safety advocates will say not to have the engine running when lubing the chain and to spin the wheel yourself or have a friend help.

Where are you measuring it from?

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
So when under load, not only the top of the chain will tighten up, but the bottom will consequently slap less also? I'm measuring near the midway point of the lower run.

I run it at a standstill not only to rotate the wheel but also to work the wd40 and then the chain lube in. The chain lube suggests running the bike right away (though I don't think it says at a standstill) because it sets up after ten minutes. I figure 6th is the best gear, not only because it works the chain the most, but because if something happened it might stall the engine easier. I also have a huge chock block in front of the front tire.

p.

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
No, I definitely don't work on the chain with it running.

That suspension point is excellent. I hadn't thought of that!

p.