Stoppies

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this maybe a dumb question and I will probably get harped for asking but, I have had my Fz6 for a while now and have tried many things on it. One thing i can't seem to get it to do is a stoppie. Everytime i try my front wheel just wants to skid. Is it because the bike is too heavy? well let the harping begin.

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay... I'll start the harping... :squid: :squid: :squid: :D

Actually, I'd be curious to know if it's possible on a stock FZ6 too, just out of curiosity! :D

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it's possible. Get your front tire warm, do it on a good surface, wear your gear, and get your weight forward. First time I did it was on the track by accident. Be smooth or you will land on your face!!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it's possible. Get your front tire warm, do it on a good surface, wear your gear, and get your weight forward. First time I did it was on the track by accident. Be smooth or you will land on your face!!!

DI is correct you need a FULLY warmed up tire otherwise it will lock up. When you get on the brake dont grab a huge hand full all at once, as you begin to slow grab the brake harder and harder and before you know it the rear wheel will be up. The brakes on the FZ really are amazing.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DI is correct you need a FULLY warmed up tire otherwise it will lock up. When you get on the brake dont grab a huge hand full all at once, as you begin to slow grab the brake harder and harder and before you know it the rear wheel will be up. The brakes on the FZ really are amazing.

Very good description of how to do it, it is all about the smoothness, if you just gab it hard the wheel will skid, but if it is smooth and hard pressure it should lift the back, also get your a$$ off or very forward on the seat, you may be holding it down with your weight.

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't attempt "stopies" with the stock suspension, not that it's not possible.... just wouldn't want to try it.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't attempt "stopies" with the stock suspension, not that it's not possible.... just wouldn't want to try it.

the fork will go "clunk"

How do you like the CBR??? Very cool looking bike. :thumbup:

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the replys hey what are the best forks to change to? I have heard the r6 forks but i have also heard that they can be a pain to interchange. and what after market rear shock would you recommend?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the replys hey what are the best forks to change to? I have heard the r6 forks but i have also heard that they can be a pain to interchange. and what after market rear shock would you recommend?

The easiest change is to Race Tech fork springs and 15 weight oil. R6s can be done. I have a set coming, should be here in the next couple of weeks.

They are really not too bad. If you have a new FZ you MAY need to get an R6 front fender. I may end up making brakets for mine so I can use the stock fender, otherwise I'm looking at $88.00 for an R6 front fender.

But the Race Techs are great. If you search under "Race Tech" you'll find several how to threads.

For the shock any aftermaket is much better than the stock one, Ohlins, HyperPro, Wilders, Penske. The entry level Penke and Ohlins are both very good shocks. The base Ohlins is on blow out at Hardracing.com for about $465 or so.

Last edited:

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
The easiest change is to Race Tech fork springs and 15 weight oil. R6s can be done. I have a set coming, should be here in the next couple of weeks.

What he said:thumbup:, I actually plan to sell my 1kg springs someday since dont use the FZ for "sport" riding anymore.

I love the CBR, comfortable for commuting, though I have discovered a pain while riding about 75miles. Torque is fun:rockon:

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hey thanks guys for all the replys im looking at what i want to get im going for the streetfighter look and i have a guy here who is going to do my custom paint. i'll update when things are done.

Northern

Reaction score
Visit site
039_kadr_its_all.jpg

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site

Dude, are you seriously cnsidering "forking out" money to replace your forks so you can do STOPPIES?

Are you completely MAD, man?

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Just my 2 cents but if i want to stunt or learn to stunt more seriously (stoppies, wheelies...) instead of pimping out the FZ6 i'd buy a beater SuperSport that i could drop and not care about. Theres tons of used ones...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well its actually rather easy to do a stoppie:

The way I do it is:
Put my weight to the front, brake firmly, now the back end comes up. The I adjust the brakes so I will keep rolling.

I found out that it is of great importance that the tires are warm, else way the front wheel will just skit.

I've read in several places that steel-brake lines are advised. I have steel ones, so I wouldn't know if it will work ok with plain plastic ones.

To just answer the question that started this Thread:

Yes, it can be done.
But only on the superior silver one......

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've read in several places that steel-brake lines are advised. I have steel ones, so I wouldn't know if it will work ok with plain plastic ones.

To just answer the question that started this Thread:

Yes, it can be done.

On the 04-06 FZ6's, they only have 2 pot calipers, and i have found with the oem brake lines it is very hard to do stoppies due to the fact there is not enough "bite" at the lever. Since i put on braided steel lines, stoppies have become quite easy to do...but have only done a couple, i happen to like my bike the way it is, and i have seen first hand what happens when it all goes wrong...explain that one to the Insurance guy! (Track Bike IS the answer for stoppies!)