Dealer Replaced Tires, but didn't Tighten everything

BobSchmickle

Reaction score
Visit site
OK... Friday I took my bike to the Yamaha dealer near work because it was recommended by a couple of people. It cost more to have them change the tires than the suzuki place near my house, but I figured it was more convenient to drop it off while I'm at work and pick it up on my way home. And usually "you get what you pay for" so I wasn't too worried about saving a few dollars. Yesterday was the first day I got to ride it since Friday (I did take it to a vacant parking lot for some tire scrubbing). On the way home yesterday, I hear a clanging sound. They didn't tighten the plates used to align the real wheel. I don't know exactly what they are called and I can't find them in the parts diagram on yamaha.com. It has the bolt sticking out the rear of the swingarm. The left one is gone. The right one was barely hanging on (1/4 inch of threads left before it fell off. Why is it so hard to find a decent place to get work done on a bike? Even paying a premium, I still get screwed.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I do most of my bike and auto work myself. But when I do take stuff in to have it worked on when I pick it up I ask a lot of questions and look over the work before I leave. Sure they are going to look at you like you have cancer and why don't you trust them, but it's better than finding out while you are going down the road at speed. Most of all I am glad you are OK and nothing "big" came off the bike or happened.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm so not surprised...this is why I just buy the rubber online for much cheaper and remove/install the wheels myself.

The one time I let a dealer touch my FZ6 was to do the recall work. They blew fuses and severely over tightened my chain. The was Chicago Cycle Center, one of the largest bike shops in the midwest with $90/hour (IIRC) labor rates. How is one motorcyclist going to send another off into city traffic with no lights and a dangerously tight chain? Oh yeah, they don't care!

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on what Defy said in reguards to not caring. They have bikes lined up out the door that all need something done to them and the only thing that they care about is hurrying and getting your bike out the door so they can work on the next one so their work does not pile up. And when you hurry you forget things.

Last edited:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you called them afterwards...not only for yourself but for possibly preventing it from happening to someone not as mechanically inclined as you.

S

sportrider

I agree also after the horror story I went through at a shop I'll never let another shop touch any bike again. it sounds like your talking about the chain tensioner bolts. double check your axle nut, if the blocks are loose your axle is too.

BobSchmickle

Reaction score
Visit site
They suggested I just ride it in if the axle nut was not loose. They did offer to order the parts (4-5 days) and install them. I said I would just pick them up and install them myself. They didn't like that idea. The service manager is supposed to call me when he "has time to look into it put the order in."

Anything else I would do myself. I guess I should have just taken wheels in. I just figured it was easier to drop off in the morning and pick up after work.

ALWAYS GO WITH YOUR FIRST INSTINCT!!!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
This type of story seems all too common. I picked up my FZ6 less than two weeks ago, rode home and found:

(1) Coolant was LOW - below the minumum on the reserve tank.
(2) Brake caliper was LOOSE!!
(3) Windshield screws were stripped badly (easy enough to do, but one was actually broken....doesn't the shield come already mounted at the factory?).
(4) Forgot to put on my plate. They STILL haven't sent in the paperwork to the State either. If I didn't have copies of everything I'd be worried.
(5) Cold tire pressures were FIFTEEN (front) and EIGHTEEN (rear)! Guy even said "we checked the tires and you're good to go".

All this after I had to listen to their sales manager drone on and on about their great service.....yeah right.

I only took my last bike to the dealer once. It was to take a link out of the chain, and the guy let me watch. They were a great, small town dealer with experienced mechanics. Then they got bought out and closed down by the big dealer down the street.:(

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
we are one of the good shops we have people riding of upwards of 2 hours for us to service their bike we have a stratoliner coming in next week from about 1hr and 15 mins away. as far as the chain tensioner bolts they should have checked them however you really do not need to loosen the chain to change the rear tire....I guess as said before the small town repair shop that has been there for a few years and has older people that are experienced are hard to find. My dad won't hire any brand new mechanics without them being watched over for 2 weeks everything they do get checked over etc. had a brand new mechanic from MMI come in and he didn't even know how to change the rear brake pads on a FZR600 one of the easiest.... and then after that I went to test ride it and he didn't pump up the rear brake needless to say he only worked for us for 5 days... did many stupid things and it was a lost cause these people think because they grad MMI they are the world's best mechanics its a big joke! Granted the Mechanic should have noticed something looked off on your adjuster bolts. GLAD NO ONE GOT HURT THAT IS THE MAIN THING!!!