Finally got it!

rdksek844

Newbie Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, finally after 20 years of wanting I was able to get my first bike. It's an 04 FZ6 and I love it. Ridden it twice about a half of a mile around the neighborhood, but I have seen enough to know that I love it. What a great machine!

Ironhide

Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on the bike. I have had mine about 1 month and only have 215 miles on it and have loved every one of them. Going to the MSF course on the 1st and will start adding the miles after that.

rdksek844

Newbie Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I am going to take the course on the 11th of september. Taking the written test on monday to be legal for a start. Can't wait!

Ironhide

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I am going to take the course on the 11th of september. Taking the written test on monday to be legal for a start. Can't wait!

Written test for the DMV or the MSF course. Alabama has a 20 question test for Motorcycle license and that is it no riding skills test. The military requires that I complete a MSF course before i ride. It's a two day course with 100 question test and riding skills test.

rdksek844

Newbie Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I am taking the written test MOnday for a temporary 90 day license. Then I will be legal to ride until I take the MSC course to get my complete license. That way I get some time on the bike to ride around near the house, and be ready for the course. It should be fun.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
If FL is the same a NJ you will still have to have a licensed motorcycle rider ride on their bike with you. The 90 permit is very restrictive.

Ironhide

Reaction score
Visit site
If FL is the same a NJ you will still have to have a licensed motorcycle rider ride on their bike with you. The 90 permit is very restrictive.

WOW! Alabama does not require anything except passing the test. Very easy test

rdksek844

Newbie Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

No, Fl does not require a rider with you. You can renew your temp license up to 5 times at 5 dollars a pop, but I plan to only get it once, then take the MSC once to get my final permit. Not too bad, but all of the retirees drving down US1 and pulling out in front of you are tough obsticles to avoid. Too many bikers et hit here, that is another reason it took me so long to get a bike.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am taking the written test MOnday for a temporary 90 day license. Then I will be legal to ride until I take the MSC course to get my complete license. That way I get some time on the bike to ride around near the house, and be ready for the course. It should be fun.
Welcome! I'm in the same boat, my MSC course finally happens mid-Aug, I've had my FZ6 since July 5. I put 50 miles on her just this morning (all at 30 mph :D ) thank goodness for small, untraveled neighborhoods!

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Good deal. Now just take it slow, get your gear, and be safe. It's going to be scary at first but your going to have lots of fun too. ;)

billiam46

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll tell you, one thing that makes it easy in Nj is that if you take the Basic Rider course, offered by Rider of NJ, you only have to take the written exam at DMV. They upon comletion of the 2 1/2 day course, and successful completion of the road course, you get a waiver for the state issued riding test. So you get to learn a few important does and don't plus you get your 'M' endorsement much easier. We all know how driving testers can be!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, The UK test has a theory component and now a guy following you with bike to bike coms testing your practical skills .In the |UK you have to have passed the CBT(compulsory basic training) first. I took my test in the 80's. It was proper bonkers mad. I had to make 4 left turns, 4 right turns then a combination of left and right turns to form a figure eight. Then the finale was. (Did I mention this was all done on proper streets with an old guy observing) Old guy steps of the kerb and I had to execute the perfect emergency stop. Oh yeah the mean machine I was riding to give me access to anything with two wheels. Was a Suzuki ER 50cc 0-60 (never). I can say though that the test has changed here for the better. However, if you look at UK death stats they are not too different from pre test and post test stats. What’s the MSC? Safe & happy riding to you all. Neil ps FZ6 great choice of bike.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Passed my DAS (Direct Access Course) In the UK last month ... First you complete a theory test, then go on to a one day compulsory Bike training session on a 125cc bike. You start on a parking lot type area and eventually move on to a 2 hour ride around town or city. You are then assesed as to how much further training you require on a bigger bike to be competent enough to take your full license test. I did the final part over 2 days on a Honda cbf500.

It was a great way to learn and very enjoyable, It seems a little more complicated to get your license here than in the US. Is your MSF course similar to this ?

p.s In the UK you can only ride a bike over 125cc after completing both theory and CBT and must then only ride with a qualified instructor and be using 2 way radio for coms. Seems like a very good idea to me.

Last edited:

rdksek844

Newbie Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Good deal. Now just take it slow, get your gear, and be safe. It's going to be scary at first but your going to have lots of fun too. ;)

That's my plan exactly. I have the helmet, and I am going to order my jacket, gloves, and boots this week. I have taken it out twice just around the block, and it is fun. But I can see it takes some getting used to. I can't wait to get more time under my belt and find a quiet street to practice turns, stops, etc. SO far, the most fun I have had in years.