Replacing the Face Shield

blkparade

Reaction score
Visit site
Opinions if anybody can offer them. I would like to purchase a Face Shield (Shark RSI) for the sunny days. I was looking at the Dark Smoked and Mirrored versions. That said I would switch out at night to the clear shield. But during the day am I making the ride anymore dangerous than if I were wearing sunglasses? As far as the mirrored shield, I realize it may be goofy to some or all but I think it looks kinda cool, but if it is bad for the ride its out of the question. So is one better than the other, both dangerous or is it just a personal preference thing?

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about actual safety but a smoked shield feels safer to me than sunglasses. I use a dark smoke shield for my HJC CL-SP and don't have a visibility problem. With sunglasses, I worry about the frames obstructing my view and what if they come out of place while riding?

Having said that, I make sure to have my clear shield with me in my tank bag when I'm wearing my tinted shield so that I can switch if I stay out too late and it gets dark.

Another note; I noticed that when I'm wearing a clear shield and sunglasses I'll ride around town with my visor up on hot days. I don't dare do that with my tinted visor because then I have no eye protection.

W

wrightme43

Its better to have the tinted shield in my mind.

Mirrored are cool, but man they are easy to mess up. Soap and water only and a microfiber cloth.

I used windex on mine and ruined it.

Now I have dark smoke, clear, and a iridium light tint mirror for cloudy days.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer smoked, but I always keep a clear shield handy if I'm going very far from home in case it gets dark. I also wear sunglasses under the smoked shield, but neither are very dark alone.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Opinions if anybody can offer them. I would like to purchase a Face Shield (Shark RSI) for the sunny days. I was looking at the Dark Smoked and Mirrored versions. That said I would switch out at night to the clear shield. But during the day am I making the ride anymore dangerous than if I were wearing sunglasses? As far as the mirrored shield, I realize it may be goofy to some or all but I think it looks kinda cool, but if it is bad for the ride its out of the question. So is one better than the other, both dangerous or is it just a personal preference thing?

I just happen to have a Shark RSi Alien helmet with a Dark Smoke screen and its wonderful! I use to wear sunglasses but they would hurt my ears/temples/head after about 30mins. So i feel its safer with the smoked screen, blocks the sunlight, it makes a biiig difference. For daytime use i highly recommend. For night it sucks, i've been stuck with it before and you dont see much, lol!
BTW i think the Mirror looks really cool also! I would have gotten a blueish tint mirror but they're not easy to find in stores...so went with what they had, the Dark Smoke.

H

HavBlue

I have the dark smoked now and this was a change from the blue iridium. The iridium was awesome but like Steve said they are a real pain to care for. In my case I used micro fiber and pledge. It last a bit over one season before it was time to buy another. Either keeps the inside of the helmet cooler and while I like the looks of the mirrored iridium they just aren't as practical. Especially for $39 a pop as opposed to $29.

diggerdave

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been shopping for a helmet and decided on the Shark RSi. the prices I see for a faceshield are $53+... where are yo* finding them for $29???

thanks,
dave

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been shopping for a helmet and decided on the Shark RSi. the prices I see for a faceshield are $53+... where are yo* finding them for $29???

thanks,
dave

I think i paid around $50 at the dealership for mine. You probably can find one cheaper on some online site ;)

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I install my dark smoke visor on my RF-1000 on bright, sunny days. Visibility is 100% as good as with a clear visor, imho, if not better due to the lack of sudden bright flashes from reflections, etc. However....when it's a bit overcast, or getting into the late afternoon and early evening, visibility through the dark visor begins to suffer, and it becomes borderline dangerous very quickly. If I think I'm going to be out later, I will take my clear visor with me. It's no fun riding the last 50 km's with the dark visor up. Some jackets have an internal pocket at the side that fits a visor...I think the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 has one.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a light smoke shield and a dark smoke shield. With the light smoke, I can also use it at night, really don't have a visibiltiy problem. But during the summer here in Vegas, the sun will scorch right though the light shield and burn your face. So during the summer, where the temps is always over 100 degrees, and sometimes even in the teens, I go with the dark smoke so that it gives me maximum protection from the sun.

For my ride home at night, I carry clear safety goggles or glasses, rather than taking the time to replace my dark smoke shield for the clear or light smoke shield. My freeway time is very minimal if I choose to use it all on the way home, so glasses are okay. If I had to go a long distance using the freeway at night, I might consider swapping shields. But I highly recommend using safety glasses or goggles rather than swapping out shields for night riding. You can get them for about $10.

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
I install my dark smoke visor on my RF-1000 on bright, sunny days. Visibility is 100% as good as with a clear visor, imho, if not better due to the lack of sudden bright flashes from reflections, etc. However....when it's a bit overcast, or getting into the late afternoon and early evening, visibility through the dark visor begins to suffer, and it becomes borderline dangerous very quickly. If I think I'm going to be out later, I will take my clear visor with me. It's no fun riding the last 50 km's with the dark visor up. Some jackets have an internal pocket at the side that fits a visor...I think the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 has one.

I too have the RF-1000 with a dark smoke visor and it's great for bright days. When it's overcast, I use the light smoke shield. This does mean I have to carry 2 extra shields in my trunk or tank bag.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a light smoke shield and a dark smoke shield. With the light smoke, I can also use it at night, really don't have a visibiltiy problem. But during the summer here in Vegas, the sun will scorch right though the light shield and burn your face. So during the summer, where the temps is always over 100 degrees, and sometimes even in the teens, I go with the dark smoke so that it gives me maximum protection from the sun.

For my ride home at night, I carry clear safety goggles or glasses, rather than taking the time to replace my dark smoke shield for the clear or light smoke shield. My freeway time is very minimal if I choose to use it all on the way home, so glasses are okay. If I had to go a long distance using the freeway at night, I might consider swapping shields. But I highly recommend using safety glasses or goggles rather than swapping out shields for night riding. You can get them for about $10.

Great idea using safety glasses/goggles....why didn't I think of that. I was "caught" by a sudden heavy cloud formation darkening the early evening sky about a month ago with my dark smoke visor and still with about 50 km's to home. I pulled over and put on my progressive-lens reading glasses, which did help a little bit to stop my eyes tearing up with the visor up. If I'd had my Revision shooting glasses (as issued to the Canadian Army) with me, it would have been much better and they're a lot easier to pack around than the clear visor.
Thanks! :thumbup:

blkparade

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, 1st thanks for the reply's. I ended up going for the Blue Iridium Shield. I just used it on our 1st sunny day in awhile and their is quite a difference. I would stop at a light and lift up the visor and it was kind of a shock. A great purchase for sure. For the night time solution, if I know I will be riding into the evening I purchased a Fieldsheer Visor bag. It clips around your waist like a fanny pack and holds my spare shield. I use it on the days I don't have my backpack with me and so far so good. I don't even notice its on me. As far as cleaning I use a microfiber cloth with plasma tv cleaner. I know, its a test in progress. So far no film or issues with scratches, got the bugs off nice and easy but I will reserve my final verdict until a few months of use. Thanks again to those who replied.

andrewclaycomb

Reaction score
Visit site
My Icon Mainframe came with 2 visors, 1 is clear and the other is a blue/green mirrored visor. I've used Windex on it without any problems (only used it on the outside though) I like the mirroring though because if you do get caught without the clear visor and it starts to get dark, you aren't blind. I haven't done it yet, but if needed I could wear it at night and still see reasonably well.

I had a dark smoked shield for my older HJC helmet and once it started to get dark, you have to flip it up and wear clear glasses underneath. (It happened once and luckily I carry the clear glasses in the tank bag.)

I realize these aren't Shark lids but the technology can't be that different between the brands.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a silver mirrored face shield and I also have no problems with scratching. Maybe the scratching varies by manufacturer. Mine is a Scorpion. I bought it because people can't see my face and I like that. When you're ugly and you know it, there is no reason to go scaring little kids in mini-vans as they pass by on the freeway :eek:

blkparade

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so honesty is the best policy as they say so here goes. I am blkparade and I am an ugly b@$!@*d, but you cant see because of my face shield. :eek: