No front light.

kalli

In the middle of the pond
Reaction score
Visit site
During a week long trip I just got back from the front light stopped working on my 2007 S2. (both the high and low beam)
The blinker works (I taped the button in so I could been seen in the fog that followed me through most of the trip :eek:).
There is no power on the green blueish wire that leads up to the High/low switch. That wire is supposed to give power when the engine is running.
I have no idea where it gets it from... If there is a rely or something that feeds current to it when the engine is running or where it starts.
As you can see English is not my first language, but hopefully you can understand what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance.

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
To me it sounds exactly like a fuse. Take your seat off and the right side plastic cover and your fuse box should be there(I haven't looked at mine in forever so I apologize if I am wrong). Once you get to the fuse panel, just start looking for a blown fuse (black or burnt looking instead of clear). Hope this helps!:thumbup:

W

wrightme43

Sure check under the side pod for the fuse first. Its fuse number one from the left or rear of the bike. If you have power on both sides, move on to the relay. If I remember right its on the front fairing. If you have power in but none out its either the relay or the switch.

kalli

Reaction score
Visit site
The fuse is fine.. The light works fine if I use the blinker (Operated by the left index finger).
Does the green wire that you weld into, when doing the "front light mod", on 2007 go into a relay somewhere under the fairing
I am not able to follow it down to where it starts.

W

wrightme43

So you are saying the headlamp works if you hold down the Pass switch? If so it would probley be the headlamp switch.

Let me make sure this is right so we are all on the same page.

Bike running.

You have done the headlamp mod so that when you are running you have
two lowbeams and on highbeam you have one low and one highbeam or did you do the one where on highbeam you have both lowbeams and the highbeam active?

Describe the exact lighting you have.

IE
On low beam I have no lights what so ever.
On high beam I have no lights what so ever.
On low beam I have one lit bulb and one dark bulb
This will help cut down on confusion.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm reading this correctly, your headlight works when you turn on the blinkers? :eek:

If this is the case, the headlight mod you did, you tapped into the wrong wire on the harness. Try removing that wire at the headlight to see if it all clears up.

The blinker operation is completely separate functionallity and electrically wise. They do not affect each other.

kalli

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes that is correct. I taped the button to be visible through the rest of my trip. That gave me high beam on one light.

The problem is that I don't have any front lights at all.

Before the lights failed I had low beam on both lights. On high I had one High and one low, the Mod has worked fine for almost a year.

Last edited:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Let's try this one more time. You said you had to tape a switch down to make the high beam stay "ON". From the picture, indicate by the number, which switch was that?

kalli

Reaction score
Visit site
None of these buttons. it is the one on the front Not visible on this picture. Would probably be number 5 :).
I did change the fuse to be sure but no luck.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And that is the difference between the North American FZ6 and the European editions. We here do not have the #5 switch (what you would call a passing switch, right?)

W

wrightme43

Yes you all have a pass switch. I was trying to make sure in the questions post.

If you have light when the switch is down the problem should be in your headlamp switch. Maybe not, but probley.

under warrenty?

kalli

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes that is correct, pass switch is it called.
I will have the dealer looking at it in the morning and see if they can find the problem.
Thanks guys.

kalli

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes they fixed it under warranty.
And by the way I really didn't notice that the lights were gone until I drove into a dark tunnel.
Then I understood why cars going in opposite direction had been overtaking on my part of the road as if I didn't exist. :scared:
I really don't know how I would have continued if I would not have been able to get the lights going again using the pass switch.
Because as I said before the conditions on most of my trip (five days) was dense fog. And the roads are just one lane in each direction, so not being seen is quite dangerous.

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
maybe the headlight mod is slowly overloading everyone relays and we should all invest in higher rated ones to avoid this?

I took a look at the wiring diagram to see if this could be happening. I don't believe that the headlight mod is going to stress the relay any more than the stock setup.

In stock form, the relay sends power to the high beam filament (assuming it's on) and the single filament left side headlight.

With the mod, the only change is that when the low beams are on, the low beam filament on the right is activated. That filament is identical to the high beam.

The maximum amount of current through the relay is unchanged since there's never more than two filaments lit at any given time. So the stock relay will be fine with the mod. It sounds like kalli just had a defective relay.

As a sidenote, if you have a relay failure like this, you should be able to bring your headlights back by taking a piece of wire and jumpering between the green wire and one of the red and yellow wires on the relay connector.