Scary discovery on my FZ6

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I now have just over 400km's on my new 06 FZ6. When riding back home yesterday afternoon, I noticed a "click" beginning to develop from the front end when applying the front brake. When I was about a kilometer from home, the click started getting gradually louder, so I stopped using the front brake and just used the rear brake.
When I got home, I checked the front end of the bike and was shocked to discover that the left front brake caliper was hanging down, the top mounting bolt missing and the bottom mounting bolt hanging on by a couple of threads.
So much for the PDI!!!
I obtained a new bolt from the dealer and reinstalled the front caliper.
Both the dealer and Yamaha Canada will be hearing about this incident, the possible consequences of which I don't even want to think about.
Does anyone know off-hand how much assembly is performed by the dealership when the new bike arrives in a crate?

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw them uncrate my bike and assemble it. All they did was put on the front tire, adjust the rear tire and chain. Then charged the battery put gas in it and i was off. The bikes come from japan with most of the parts already on it. Mine had everything on it but the front tire. Ohh....and the handle bars had to be put on. That was it. It took them about 2 hours to get it ready. I think it was mainly the charging of the battery that took so long.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
THAT IS A PROPER SCAREY STORY. Oh my god dosn't even bear to think about. Im not being parranoid but could some one have screwed with your bike?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
THAT IS A PROPER SCAREY STORY. Oh my god dosn't even bear to think about. Im not being parranoid but could some one have screwed with your bike?

That thought did cross my mind, but the bike has not been out of my sight when I take it for a ride and park it, and it's kept in my son's locked garage when I'm not riding it.
I'm pretty sure my son still likes me. :D
I really don't know what to think, quite honestly...:confused:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im sorry to hear about that. When I picked up my bike from the dealer, it had a purple permanent marker mark on the top over almost every single bolt on the damn thing! I say almost, because some of the bolts on the engines covers and such didnt have marks. I would assume that this was from them doing an excellent job of assembling it and checking it over before they gave it to me. But, to be sure when I got it home, I also checked everything, and nothing was amiss, so they did a good job in my opinion. I think that every dealer should do something like that. So what, the marks washed off after about a week, but I think it was very important and gave me more confidence when taking delivery of my motorcycle. The next time I buy a bike from them, if it doesn't have the marks on it, Im going to ask them to recheck everything infront of me...But it's most likely if they practice this now, then they will continue. You should ask your dealer if they have this sort of policy in place, and if they don't tell them you would like to see a policy like this put into place.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That thought did cross my mind, but the bike has not been out of my sight when I take it for a ride and park it, and it's kept in my son's locked garage when I'm not riding it.
I'm pretty sure my son still likes me. :D
I really don't know what to think, quite honestly...:confused:
Mate only one word..........Inheritance...................

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mate, English humour (toilet variety) dako81 was obviously referring to an alignment mark drawn on the bolt and on to an adjoining component to indicate correct tightness. Or the marks could simply be that some one is putting a mark on the bolt they have tightened in PDI.
Dako81 also said "So what, the marks washed off after about a week" In UK when you have a pant S**ting moment the resulting debris in your pants is referred to a "Skid mark". I’m sure that One Track had such a moment on discovering this, I would have. My marks would certainly need more than a week to wash away.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The marks werent referenced with another, so Im pretty sure they were just marking which ones they had tightened down. Which Im glad they did. And if I looked down and my caliper was hanging there my marks probably would take longer than a week to wash off as well :eek:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Brad sorry I entered angry Icon in the title, can't get rid of it so I guess I am angry in a way, but not at your reply.:eek:Thanks for the clarification, What washing powder do you recomend?:Sport:

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to see toilet Humour can cross oceans, transcend cultures, and unite countries but best of all make us giggle like girls.

S

sportrider

this thread is an example of why you should periodically check your fasteners!!!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
this thread is an example of why you should periodically check your fasteners!!!

...and your underwear. :D (I'm surrounded by Yank and Brit comedians here..) :p

I contacted the selling dealer, and it's all good now. They're very concerned (of course) and are going to "make it right". ;)
That's good enough for me.
It's all good. :rockon:

S

sportrider

...and your underwear. :D (I'm surrounded by Yank and Brit comedians here..) :p

"make it right". ;)
That's good enough for me.
It's all good. :rockon:
yup a new pair of draws is a good place to start, what are they going to do about your bike?