Help with kickstand malfunction!!!!!

yamahamahafz6

Reaction score
Visit site
God damn bike will randomly jerk and cut out while riding. I traced the wires and everything seems good. All reading adequet power readings while running. Just seems to be the switch maybe? Has anyone else had this trouble? Any information would be helpful considering im 150miles from my house visiting a friend. lol. Thanks.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i know of a few people that have had the kickstand switch malfunction. if you cut the wire it will disable that safety feature and IF that is your issue then it should get you home until you can replace the switch (unless the cut wire somehow grounds itself, so i would tape it off...)

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like sportriders problem, turned out to be the kill switch. If you can recreate the problem in neutral, look at the kickstand switch, if not, suspect the kill switch. I'd try rocking the kill switch on and off a few times and see if I could get home cautiously and safely.

Good Luck,
Chuck

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
God damn bike will randomly jerk and cut out while riding. I traced the wires and everything seems good. All reading adequet power readings while running. Just seems to be the switch maybe? Has anyone else had this trouble? Any information would be helpful considering im 150miles from my house visiting a friend. lol. Thanks.

Maybe the switch is just dirty.
You know the volume knob on a stereo, and after a whle it gets that scratchy sound?
Well, that's dirt on the contacts.

Go ahead and flip those switches a couple dozen times, and see if it clears up.

If not, look very closely at the kickstand switch, and disconnect/reconnect it.
It's the place I'd suspect the most due to it's constant exposeure to the elements, dirt, and bug a$$es.

yamahamahafz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help so far. I was riding tonight and have more info on the problem. I'll be riding and the engine will cut out. I will have full display and electronics running but the ngine cuts out. I turn the keyswitch and (sometimes) i hear the fuel injection load...sometimes not. One time took about 25 turns. I have no idea...ignition...fuel injection setup...maybe the vacuum feed is messed. I have no idea.

yamahamahafz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Misposted maybe...so reposting here as well. I hope nobody minds but i'm desperate for advice.

Just follow the link if you are interested:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/6359-help-kickstand-malfunction.html
in helping and offer your two cents .02 lol on what the hell my bike is doing. You know it feels like i'm posting a game for people...but the only prize is me getting a safer riding bike so sorry you don't win something along the lines of an akropovic exhaust or scorpion OR a power commander. Hahaha i
m going crazy right now from this blue bugger acting up. Thanks for the help.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds more and more like the kill switch. When the switch is in the kill position, the fuel pump doesn't activate with the key and it does when it is in the run position.

Follow the wires back and unplug the kill then jumper the two wires together to keep it running until you pick up a new one.

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Misposted maybe...so reposting here as well. I hope nobody minds but i'm desperate for advice.

Can you kill the bike with the kill switch or kickstand while in a gear (other than neutral)?

J

jsteinb95

Re: Misposted maybe...so reposting here as well. I hope nobody minds but i'm desperate for advice.

People are trying to help you in the other thread. There are suggestions on how to rule out the kickstand switch and others have asked questions, but you haven't even posted back in the other thread. There has also been a suggestion that it's the kill switch....sportrider was having the same exact problem.

S

sportrider

Thanks for the help so far. I was riding tonight and have more info on the problem. I'll be riding and the engine will cut out. I will have full display and electronics running but the ngine cuts out. I turn the keyswitch and (sometimes) i hear the fuel injection load...sometimes not. One time took about 25 turns. I have no idea...ignition...fuel injection setup...maybe the vacuum feed is messed. I have no idea.
that is the exact same thing mine did when the kill switch on the bar went bad. you can test it by hotwiring the switch and going for a test ride, if it doen't cut out I'd place my money on the switch. also try testing it with the bike running parked in neutral, tap on the kill switch, rock it side to side with out turning off the bike (leave the switch in the run position) if the bike cuts out or misses replace the switch. mine started with just a miss then progressively got worse until it was hard to keep the bike running. I'm not saying 100% thats your problem, but the FZ6 has a good track record and I seemed to be the guinea pig for FZ6 problems. so I'm pretty sure thats it. the new switch assembly cost $57.99. I can walk you through changing it if thats what it turns out to be.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These threads have been merged. We know you're in need of help and several have posted valid suggestions, including myself.

Please refrain from starting a new thread for the same purpose going forward.

Now, have you tried anyone's advice here?

S

sportrider

just an after thought but any chance it's residual damage from your crash?

yamahamahafz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for starting multiple threads on this topic but i dunno what else to do. I live in Plymouth, ma and am out in Amherst. Thank you everyone for all your help and i'll try cutting the killswitch out in the morning. Thanks everyone for the advice and especially sportrider for pricing and walkthrough help.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for starting multiple threads on this topic but i dunno what else to do. I live in Plymouth, ma and am out in Amherst. Thank you everyone for all your help and i'll try cutting the killswitch out in the morning. Thanks everyone for the advice and especially sportrider for pricing and walkthrough help.

No problem. I hope that Sportrider's experience helps you with the issue and you get back safely!

When you mentioned the fuel pump sound, it is a dead giveaway because the fuel pump with the kill switch in RUN will ALWAYS sound with the key and the kickstand down.

Keep us informed!

yamahamahafz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet sweet sweet. Thanks everyone for the advice on where the problem might lye and how i could handle it. I took apart the cut-off switch by the throttle and cut those wires out to eliminate the cut-off switch. I also cut out the sensor for the kickstand...as well just to be safe. I took it apart and off. I mean i learned to ride on my dad's older bikes that didn't have a sensor anyways so that doesn't bother me. Works pissah and rode for about an hour today without any hassle. You guys on here are a good group and responded very quickly with my problem. I really want to be on here more often now and try to help out others as well. I usually just come on to check for parts selling. Thank all and safe riding! :rockon:

yamahamahafz6

Reaction score
Visit site
just an after thought but any chance it's residual damage from your crash?

Oh yea and i don't believe it had any tie-in with my crash last season. That spot did get impacted at all. I think maybe moisture issue...i use a cover, the bike doesn't get garaged. Maybe? I didn't think of that before and when you asked it got me debating that. Thanks.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent news! Thanks for the update!

I'm beginning to wonder if we should poll all FZ6 forums to find out who else had or is having issues. This could turn into a service bulletin or a recall if enough complaints come in.