FZ6 Overheats, Tiny Pebble is to Blame, Radiator fan toast?

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Well I was idling in front of my driveway after a long cruise and I look down to see that the coolant temp was 233F. I shut off the bike and the temps goes rising up to 254 and starts blinking. I noticed that I did NOT hear the fan running. So I turn on and turn off the bike. Nada. So then I look at the radiator fan and try to spin it. When I did this, it did not want to move. With a closer look I saw this:

pebble1.jpg

I removed it and started the engine. Still no fan. Well the pebble must have overloaded the fuse. Sure enough after removing panel "D" the fuse was blown.

pebble3.jpg

So I replace it with the spare 20A fuse. I thought this would fix it, but after letting the engine warm up to a temperature of 225, I guess I was wrong. I'm afraid the fan might be toast, but I'm pretty sure there is more stuff between fuse and the fan motor that I havent yet checked... My FZ6 only has 1500 miles. Can anyone please help me out?

Beware of the pebbles. They are evil...

pebble2.jpg

Last edited:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That happened to me once too. The engine was at at temperature I thought the fan would be turning at but not. Reached in and spun the fan a little, it started to turn making this horrible racket and then the pebble fell out.

Good point to bring forward! :thumbup:

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
heh talk to Antmb, that's exactly what happened to him on our way from Jersey to NC. If you keep speed and don't slow down, you should be able to make it. However in really hot humidity, you may be screwed.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, the exact same thing happened to me. I thought it was a fluke, but now I see it has to be a design flaw! Luckily mine had a couple weeks left on the warrenty, and it was covered. Let us know how you make out.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The rock stalled the motor. The motor's brushes overheated and before the fuse blew, they got hot enough to melt their plastic holders.

Time for a new fan motor.

Sorry about the bad luck.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, the exact same thing happened to me. I thought it was a fluke, but now I see it has to be a design flaw! Luckily mine had a couple weeks left on the warrenty, and it was covered. Let us know how you make out.

how long did it take to get it fixed? The fz6 is sort of my main source of transportation so I guess I will be renting or borrowing a car from someone. Thanks for the reply guys.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
It took 2 weeks for them to get mine back to me. Once they had the fan in the building I had the bike back the next day, so I guess it all depends on how fast they can get the fan, and how busy they are. Good luck with it.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:
I brought the FZ6 into the dealership. They replaced the fan under warrantee. I looked at the new fan and it seems a bit different. Maybe its me, but the gap between the radiator and the fan seems greater. I remember before, when the pebble was wedged in there, I had to use a scribe to poke it out because of the tight clearance. Now I can actually stick a finger between the radiator and the fan. Also, the fan motor seems larger as well, I am sure of it. Perhaps Yamaha is aware of the problem. At least now I feel more confident that this probably wont happen again. :)

If anyone that lives in southern california that's curious as to which dealership I brought it to, it was Pasadena Yamaha on Colorado Blvd. The service manager Kel seemed nice and honest. The work was done by Tom, who seems like a well knowledgable mechanic. It took them about 4 days to get it done.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a terrible picture of the new fan.

gapp.jpg

It was taken at night, so I had to use my maglite to give some light. I will try and take a better picture tomorrow.

The gap between the fan and the radiator is apprx 9/32'' and the fan motor (the silver portion) is apprx 3.5'' in diamter. I used a drill bit and a 6'' ruler. Is it really bigger or am I worried about the fan too much?

NoxCruor

Nocturnal Predator
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, long time lerker and first time poster here. You all put out some really great information. I'm going to be getting an '08 FZ6 here shortly as soon as my leave is approved so I can head back home to CO to get it. Just had to pop on here to ask two quick questions:

1. Pete, can you send those images to [email protected]? For some reason my browser isn't showing the pictures at all. Thanks!

2. Is this a problem with the 08 FZ's? Or previous years. I ask because if Yamaha has a fix to the problem, did they impliment the fix for the following year?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There was another Forum member who had this happend to them when returning from the Gap meet.

I was washing my FZ the other day and noticed a few good dings on the rad itself. Looks like the rad and fan are a good PMCS (Preventative Maintence Check and Service) item, Before, During and After. I'm considering add a layer of fine construction mesh between the plastic rad guard and the rad itself. It helps keep the stones from making a direct hit on the rad fins.

NoxCruor - Are you stationed at Carson? BTW..Welcome to the Forum and the world of the FZ6, you will love it!

I've only seen two issues of "stone-jam" on the board over the past 6 mo. That's it tens of thousands for miles of riding so I don't think it is a big issue.

Pete - Is the p/n the same from the old one and the new one? It is common for MFGs to retrofit a replacement item across a model line.

NoxCruor

Nocturnal Predator
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome, and I can't wait.

Hellgate - Nope, I'm actually stationed at DLI in Cali for now, but hopefully for not much longer. Tradoc environment is getting to me, and want to get out to a real post. Chat me up on the yahoo addy sometime if you'd like.

<goes back to lurking>

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys:

I just found something interesting about the cost difference in fans between an 06 and 08 model. Part number 5VX-12405-00-00, the Fan Assembly for the 06 goes for around $300 while 4S8-12405-00-00 Fan Assembly for the 08 goes for around $160? Wat-up wit dat?

If my fan burns up I'm seriously going to study whether to buy and 08 fan and change out the mounting brackets, cause based on the pictures that appears to be the only difference.

Maybe if some of the members with an 04-06 and 07-08 model bike live near each other they can scope this out to see if a bracket change might work? If anyone on the forum with an 07-08 lives in Orlando, PM me and we can compare and report back.

Lew:D

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
P/N behind the fan that is currently installed reads:
065000 - 4050
12V 7J12 - 60

P/N that is on a yamaha parts dealer website reads:
4S8-12405-00-00

I don't think these numbers are related.
If someone with an 07 could please read the P/N off their fan it would be great.

NoxCruor,
Pictures sent

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
P/N behind the fan that is currently installed reads:
065000 - 4050
12V 7J12 - 60

P/N that is on a yamaha parts dealer website reads:
4S8-12405-00-00

I don't think these numbers are related.
If someone with an 07 could please read the P/N off their fan it would be great.

NoxCruor,
Pictures sent

Oh wow. I cant believe this has happened to someone else!!!
I bought my GORGEOUS new fz6n about 2 weeks ago and as much as i love the bike it has been a DISASTER so far.
I too have fallen victim to "stone jam" but my case is dreadful. Not only did the bike overheat (after the fan burned out) but in doing so it purged all the coolant ballast in an explosive mess all over the road and both wheels which acted as a great lubricant as i was trying to pull up to see what all the steam was about.
Needless to say the front slid on the camber of the shoulder and my new baby went down and kissed the road. I was devastated but not as devastated as i was when i was told by the dealer that this would not be covered by warranty and i had to then shell out $99 just to have them tell me that. (the fuct fan still attached)
I am keen to contact Yamaha about this so am I able to get the details of anyone who has had this same issue.

Ah yes and btw mine is actually a 2007 model and the part number (AS WRITTEN on the thermo fan) is
DENSO 065000-4050
12V 8J29 <- 60

So far I have been quoted $411 to replace the fan (not fitted)

Can anyone tell me where i can get a replacement fan for a (less criminal) price?

cheers
Heath

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With all this talk of stuck radiator fans I ended up making a plate to prevent this from happening to my 07.

I used a 1/16" aluminum plate, about an 1.5" wide that extends the width of the fan itself. I bent (90') a small tab just off from the middle, drilled a 1/4" hole and bolted it to the lower radiator mount (goes inbetween the bracket off the engine and radiator).

There is now no space for anything to get thrown up in between the radiator and the fan. It does not interfere with air flow or anything else, just road debris kicked up from the front tire....

I was going to space the fan away more form the radiator by just adding some flat washers (between the radiator and fan itself) but the fan is pretty close to the front of the engine as it is stock.

Please feel free to utilize my design to prevent this problem.

Scott

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
This whole failure scenario is one that Yamaha should be addressing another way. Adding a guard to prevent the debris from locking the rotor is treating the symptom. (Darn good solution, but it doesn't address what's really wrong.)

It is incredibly short sighted of Yamaha to use a fan that does not have locked rotor protection built into it. Every high availability server built for the IT industry, as well as the Telecommunicaitons industry uses DC fans very similar to what is being used here.

Most of the fans used, have a self healing fuse that will 'pop' if the rotor is locked for some reason.... and will 'heal' when the unit cools off. It's a very common feature. Buying a fan wholesale at the volumes that Yamaha purchases at..... it would add less than 0.10 USD to the cost of the fan. That's small change, compared to $500 to replace the entire fan and bracket assembly, and possibly replacing an overheated motor as well.....

Has anyone checked to see if the same arrangement is in place on the FZ6R? Does it use the same fan, and bracket?

Last edited:

Lemon

Reaction score
Visit site
I just found out after a hot day in traffic that i was also a victim of this small pebble in my fan. I only bought the bike new from the dealer about a month and a half ago (no warranty from yamaha). I've probably ridden the bike maybe 500 miles though i think the pebble breaking my fan probably happened a few weeks ago, i just didnt notice until i was stuck in traffic on a hot day.

Anyway, i ordered a 2006 fan for 50 on ebay. I am having a lot of trouble getting the center nut off the mounting plate to remove the fan. How have others who have had to remove their fan removed this upper-most center nut? I have looked all over these forums but have yet to found out how to properly remove this fan. Any help is much appreciated.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just found out after a hot day in traffic that i was also a victim of this small pebble in my fan. I only bought the bike new from the dealer about a month and a half ago (no warranty from yamaha). I've probably ridden the bike maybe 500 miles though i think the pebble breaking my fan probably happened a few weeks ago, i just didnt notice until i was stuck in traffic on a hot day.

Anyway, i ordered a 2006 fan for 50 on ebay. I am having a lot of trouble getting the center nut off the mounting plate to remove the fan. How have others who have had to remove their fan removed this upper-most center nut? I have looked all over these forums but have yet to found out how to properly remove this fan. Any help is much appreciated.

I PM'ed you back Lemon. A craftman, 10mm racheting wrench should do it (see below picture).

Also, I edited my original post (#17) with pic's should anyone wish to make this farkle for themselves and solve the problem permanently...

Last edited: