Visor cleaning and fog

blkparade

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All,

I searched the the forum and did not find anything quite related to my question. Here goes. I have A Shark RS1 about 3 weeks old now. I have been cleaning the visor with soap and water, rinsing and drying with a 100% cotton cloth. Two questions based on that. 1st anybody disagree with said method and what suggestions do you have? Second I am a new rider and just completed my 1st night ride and I seemed to have a light fogging. Enough to notice but i was not uncomfortable with it, but at the same time i realize any fogging is still a slight impairment. Is the light fogging normal? A condition of my cleaning method or the helmet and the fact that it may not be venting as well as it was designed to?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I just use a water soaked rag (more on that in a minute) to clean the dust and bugs off my HJC CL-15 shield and then use a soft shammy to dry it. This works perfectly fine. The water soaked rag isn't really a rag, but one of those towels that swimmers use when they get out of the pool (think the Olympics). I got it at Wal-Mart for like $5 and it's great. Just wet it down, fold it up, and put it in a ziploc bag. I keep it in my topcase, along with the shammy, at all times. This thing holds TONS of water and won't lose a drop. If you've never seen one in action, you'd be amazed.

I'd say the "haze" you're experiencing is a result of using soap on the visor. Use some rubbing alcohol or some other light cleaner that won't damage the plastic and clean it off. Then try using just water to clean it. I think you'll see a huge difference.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wet it down, fold it up, and put it in a ziploc bag. I keep it in my topcase, along with the shammy, at all times.

Good idea but doesn't it mold after a while?

I was thinking of sticking a travel size package of this in my tank bag:

Clean 'n Go

They clean the gunkiest crap off my daughter's face and are probably very mild.

I have thought about carrying windex wipes or laptop screen wipes but am worried about using ammonia or rubbing alcohol on my visor. I have bad luck in the past with clear plastics crazing from even mild solvents. I'm not saying not to since I have no experience with a visor and these solvents; I would just rather be safe until I know more.

W

wrightme43

I just use a water soaked rag (more on that in a minute) to clean the dust and bugs off my HJC CL-15 shield and then use a soft shammy to dry it. This works perfectly fine. The water soaked rag isn't really a rag, but one of those towels that swimmers use when they get out of the pool (think the Olympics). I got it at Wal-Mart for like $5 and it's great. Just wet it down, fold it up, and put it in a ziploc bag. I keep it in my topcase, along with the shammy, at all times. This thing holds TONS of water and won't lose a drop. If you've never seen one in action, you'd be amazed.

I'd say the "haze" you're experiencing is a result of using soap on the visor. Use some rubbing alcohol or some other light cleaner that won't damage the plastic and clean it off. Then try using just water to clean it. I think you'll see a huge difference.

NOOOOOO!!!!!! RUBBING ALCOHOL!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!
it will craze the plastic.

the rest is perfect.

Over time you will also learn to breath so that you dont fog it so much too.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I clean with dish soap like Dawn. (NOT dishwasher detergent, please)

Hand soap often has moisturizers in it that will leave your hands feeling silky soft. They also leave your visor silky translucent.

Dish soap doesn't have these, and it's an excellent degreaser.

Plexus is also good.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I always wipe down my helmet and shield with a wet terry cotton cloth and then dry it then spray the whole thing with Plexus and buff it off with a microfiber cloth. Keeps the helmet looking great and the shield clear as day. My understanding is Plexus also acts like RainX for plastic. The one time I got caught in the rain, it beaded right off the visor quite nicely.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been having good luck with Meguiar's quick detailer occasionally followed by quik wax.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use lens cleaners with anti-fog that come in individual packs so I stuff them in my jacket pockets.

If it's really dirty I use sprayway.