Recomend a torque wrench

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys & Gals,

The time has come to consider my first chain adjustment. This guy down the road wants £20.00 quid for the pleasure. On pervious bikes I have just used an extension bar and wound up the nut until the safety pin would go back through the hole. With my FZ6 I feel slightly different. I want to do the job proper so to speak. Can any one recommend a decent torque wrench that will do the job but won't break the bank?

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
if you are tightening the axle nut, you don't really need one.

It's all stainless and there's really not a way you can screw it up. Not so sure about the adjustment nuts and bolts though.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
if you are tightening the axle nut, you don't really need one.

Oh yes you do... ;)

jfreakman said:
It's all stainless and there's really not a way you can screw it up. Not so sure about the adjustment nuts and bolts though.

The fact it's made of stainless has nothing to do with the reason for torquing a nut/bolt. If there's one nut on the bike's chassis that SHOULD be tightened to the correct torque (120 NM or 85 ft/lbs) it's the axle nut(s).
Buy a torque wrench and use it. :)

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yes you do... ;)

The fact it's made of stainless has nothing to do with the reason for torquing a nut/bolt. If there's one nut on the bike's chassis that SHOULD be tightened to the correct torque (120 NM or 85 ft/lbs) it's the axle nut(s).
Buy a torque wrench and use it. :)

oh yeah?

thx for the info.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats my problem, 120 NM is a fair old bit of torque. I do want to purchase a wrench so advice on which one would be good. Thanks for the responses though.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
You should be able to buy a proper adjustable torque wrench for about 35 to 40 Brit Pounds at any automotive tool store (Mine was $79 Cdn). It won't be 'top of the line' brand like SnapOn or MAC, but it'll be just fine for individual owner repair & maintenance.
If you can only afford one, get the 1/2" drive, with the lowest setting you can find. They will usually be adjustable from 25 to 250 ft.lbs. You can use a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor for the smaller stuff.
As I mentioned, get the better model that adjusts the torque setting by turnin g the handle, which indicates that you've reached the correct tightening torque with an audible CLICK, not the visual "swinging pointer" type that is very difficult to use accurately.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
# My father told me, lying on his bed of death,
"Boy," he says, "Buy the best tools you can afford" #

Norbar are good, but you are looking at 80 quid for something that'll do 120Nm. But, at 20 quid a pop for someone else to do it - 4 uses & it's paid for (unless you need to buy sockets too).

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way: Adjusting a chain is not hugely difficult. Like all things mechanical, if you don't feel confident or competent to tackle the job, don't bugger about with it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mate I’m devastated to the core of my soul......lol incompetent me sir, no sir. I just never bothered using the correct tool for the job when I was a motorcycle courier, as if it fell of Duck tap would do the trick. This is the first precision machine that I have owned. Its just well, you know. I love me bike and want the best for it. Having only owned a selection of varied weight hammers and rounded sockets before. I thought time had come to do it proper. Plus there is no way I’m paying £20 a pop. As you quite rightly said it will pay for itself. I will look at Norbar. Incidentally my father also said something similar to me. Were not related are we LOL? None the less the mechanical advice is spot on. I would not touch a wiring loom or wiring diagram if my life depended on it. Cheers mate

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't realise this thread was here !!!

Posted a similar one in the Tech bit...

I've just bought Halfords Pro range Torque wrench 6-60nm for the smaller jobs but am going to have to purchase the bigger one too for jobs such as the axle nut !! bugger ... another £50 !!!

Very good quality though and with a lifetime guarantee :thumbup:

My missus will no doubt say " Another bloody tool to gather dust in the shed !!
They never understand :)

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mate thats stonking value, Have you used one yourself? Im going to get one though, thanks very much.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I got the Screwfix one. Haven't used it yet but it looks a substantial bit of kit. Got A 32mm socket from "tooledup.com"
Phil I can't believe my luck, on my ride in today I saw a new banner going up on a whare house. Screw fix direct have come to Reading. No P+P for me ha ha.

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
if i need one i steal it from my old man when hes not looking, he then thinks hes left it on a job and buys a new one;) joking apart my old man is a mechanic so i borrow the torque wrench once in a while he does get fed up with me using it as its a Snap pro wrench very good bit of kit and i must get round to buying a good one not the £15 Argos special LOL

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I now have two torque wrenches in my shed worth over £100 ... still in the wrappers lol :eek:

I'm sure I'll get some use out of them...

:Sport: