Combat Boots?

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
I am the proud owner of a pair of combat boots, graciously issued to me by the US military ;)

Basically, these, but with a bit more of a 'lived in' look to them.

Finally, the question: Are these adequate protection?

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Drive a car over your foot and see if they protect your ankle!!! :p

I wouldn't say they will help you much, considering they are not built for motorcycles and for simply walking in!!

Anyways its up to yourself but IMO, steer clear if you enjoy your feet.

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Fair enough.

I've been wearing my work boots: 6" high 'hiker' style, steel toe - better or worse?

I'd like to get 'real' boots, but I want to avoid looking like an idiot with racing boots sticking out of my jeans.

They're great with full leathers, on a track, but I'm just an average joe, riding on the street - is it so much to ask to have boots that don't look like hand-me-downs from a stormtrooper or flipping 80's moon boots?

Vanity... :rolleyes:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am the proud owner of a pair of combat boots, graciously issued to me by the US military ;)

I disagree with Scorph on this one, I wore German Para boots when I was a courier (at the time they were the only boot that was waterproof).
During that time I had a car hit my right leg head on which resulted in a bruised toe. I fell of doing 65MPH and friction burnt through the top laces my boot stayed on.
I have also fallen off wearing a pair of Sidi race boots and had a closed fracture of my left tib and fib. The boots are leather ( as long as they are in good working order as with any boot) if they are all you are able to afford at the moment they will offer better protection than a shorter boot. It would be advisable to get proper biking gear asap despite the fact you consider yourself an average joe, just like the rest of us.

Nelly

Nelly

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair Alpinestars race boots, but if I want to do a bit of walking about when I get off the bike then I wear these.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They are better than Nikes, but they are not a real riding boot. That said I do ride to drill in my desert jungle boots 80040-001 US ARMY ACU APPROVED DESERT TAN HOT WEATHER BOOTS [80040-001] - $149.95 : Wellco Enterprises, Providing Quality Footwear For Over 60 Years!. The 'cruit boot has two kinds of soles, the old one is platicy, the new one is more rubbery. The old one can be very slick on a wet surface.
So top,
You don't condone neither condemn them? I think Danny aka sportrider wore his work boots for a long while before getting riding boots.

Nelly

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm with Nelly on this one. I think the combat boots will be fine under most crash circumstances. I have both Frank Thomas "racing" boots and some HD boots - what we used to call "Engineer Boots" in my day. Neither is going to protect me if my ankle gets run over. What you're looking for is abrasion resistance as you're sliding down the asphalt and the ability of the boot to stay on during said slide. Both my boots pass those tests as will your combat boots. The "race" boots have what looks like a titanium plate on the outside to assist with the abrasion resistance but for "Street" riding it might be overkill - though to be fair I have seen pics of the boots of crash victims with wear in exactly that location... YMMV.

I've worn both in public and neither will generate much attention - unless you wear them with a tee-shirt and shorts. ;) As for walking around comfort - I wouldn't want to walk 10 miles in them, but for walking a few miles a day they're fine. I very seldom pack separate walking shoes when I do a long trip.

Bottom line - gear up and ride safe.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
These are the boots that I always wear on my bike :

30024001_oxtarhptouring.jpg

Oxtar HP Touring Waterproof. They are super comfortable, I love 'em! They look good enough under jeans, not as flashy as some of those racing boots.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Nelly on this one. I think the combat boots will be fine under most crash circumstances. I have both Frank Thomas "racing" boots and some HD boots - what we used to call "Engineer Boots" in my day. Neither is going to protect me if my ankle gets run over. What you're looking for is abrasion resistance as you're sliding down the asphalt and the ability of the boot to stay on during said slide. Both my boots pass those tests as will your combat boots. The "race" boots have what looks like a titanium plate on the outside to assist with the abrasion resistance but for "Street" riding it might be overkill - though to be fair I have seen pics of the boots of crash victims with wear in exactly that location... YMMV.

I've worn both in public and neither will generate much attention - unless you wear them with a tee-shirt and shorts. ;) As for walking around comfort - I wouldn't want to walk 10 miles in them, but for walking a few miles a day they're fine. I very seldom pack separate walking shoes when I do a long trip.

Bottom line - gear up and ride safe.
Just to add fuel to the fire:sinister: I looked after a guy last month who hit the central reservation on a supa scooter. He had the Alpine Star short boot (comfy for walking) he broke his Tib & Fib above the boot line.
So even an Alpine star bike boot won't necessarily save you.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These are the boots that I always wear on my bike :

30024001_oxtarhptouring.jpg

Oxtar HP Touring Waterproof. They are super comfortable, I love 'em! They look good enough under jeans, not as flashy as some of those racing boots.

Mine are Oxtar as well (oxtar urban). As with most bike gear theres a compromise with them, just as in leather versus textile. They don't have armour like my alpinestars but nice and comfy off the bike. They do have some reinforcing and padding, and lots of leather if it comes to a slide.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
well mine are pretty well reinforced on the front side, all the way up to where the armor in my pants start...

W

wrightme43

Its all a compromise. Comfort vs Safety. Cost vs Protection.

The higer boots are definitley better than shorter boots. More area to transfer energy to.

On big thing I like about my Sidi boots is the achiles protection. It limits movement of the foot, and protects from rear impact.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So top,
You don't condone neither condemn them? I think Danny aka sportrider wore his work boots for a long while before getting riding boots.

Nelly

They are a tough leather, but there is no padding at all around the ankle of shin. You won't get any road rash, but you will probably get some bumps and bruises in a fall. They are much better than nothing.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I've riden in my combat boots a few times, and my feet would hurt after long rides (over 100 miles) I have a pair of Thor 50/50 boots (black) to ride in and they are comfortable with a low profile so they aren't that bad to walk around in. Plus they don't really look that bad with jeans.

I've wanted to get a pair of the full race style, just haven't done it. Maybe before I go out on a longer ride I'll break down and get them just for that. Other wise those Thor's are very comfortable.

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear these boots and love them. They have the non-metallic steel toe and neoprene soles that are light-weight and oil resistant. The tread pattern I have is a bit different but it's the same boot. They are like wearing sneakers and I swear by them because I had 900lbs dead weight (a trailer tongue) drop on the toe and if it wasn't for these boots I would be missing toes. The ankle support is there as well as padding for the Achilles but still aren't riding boots. The bummer part is AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) quit selling these so I can't find another pair.:(

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
I wear my desert combat boots when I ride to work and I sometimes where my old jump boots when I ride. Hopefully I can get some real riding boots soon. I think the combat boots work in a pinch, but I'm planning on upgrading soon.