Why will it only start in neutral ??!!

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I stalled my new bike today for the first time since collecting it last week ...

I could see oncoming traffic so quicky pulled in the clutch and hit the start button ... to the sound of nothing !!!! As soon as I put it into neutral it fired up ok ... Is this the norm with FZ6s ??

I learnt on a Honda CBF500 and could start it in any gear as long as the clutch was in.. I was under the impression that all bikes were the same.

I think if this is the norm then it is extremely dangerous ... a rapid start is often needed and trying to quickly knock it into neutral only adds to the panic..

Is there anyway I can over-ride this (in my eyes) stupid design ???

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
You should have got a red one...they don't stall. :D

Blue ones probably don't normally !! with a proper rider on it that is :banghead:

2nd_day_out_002.jpg

:Im With Stupid: ----> me learning how not to stall

W

wrightme43

If the kickstand is down or the switch thinks it is down no starty in gear. Check that as well. Mine will start in gear, clutch in, kickstand up.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
:(

Back to the dealer then :)

300 miles on the clock .... hope its a quick fix ... I'll check the clutch wire is plugged in and maybe check the kickstand..

Thanks fellas

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I stalled my new bike today for the first time since collecting it last week ...

I could see oncoming traffic so quicky pulled in the clutch and hit the start button ... to the sound of nothing !!!! As soon as I put it into neutral it fired up ok ... Is this the norm with FZ6s ??

I learnt on a Honda CBF500 and could start it in any gear as long as the clutch was in.. I was under the impression that all bikes were the same.

I think if this is the norm then it is extremely dangerous ... a rapid start is often needed and trying to quickly knock it into neutral only adds to the panic..

Is there anyway I can over-ride this (in my eyes) stupid design ???
Did it stall when you put it in gear again? Only 300 miles, I would carry out the checks suggested and if your not happy run it buy the dealer. After all it’s a fair investment. The really important thing though, is that these babies are bullet proof. You rarely hear of anything gong badly wrong. Although the red one is the (allegedly) the fast one. Cheers

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to mention the kickstand but that was already mentioned. Maybe after and only after a stall, there is some type of computer that need to reset so it will only start back up in neutral. Have you tried starting in gear from your inititial start up? I will try to pop the clutch and stall my bike for the first time and see if it will start up in gear:(

VEGASRIDER

W

wrightme43

No I have stalled and restarted in gear. Clutch in, kickstand up, it will start no matter what.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I found my clutch switch unplugged from the dealer, and another member noted the same experience, I am willing to bet his clutch switch in unplugged!

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I found my clutch switch unplugged from the dealer, and another member noted the same experience, I am willing to bet his clutch switch in unplugged!

Might sound like a silly question but is the clutch switch located near the clutch ? :)

I'm not with my bike at the mo ... its in a friends garage ... we can't all afford garages in the UK !! especially when bloody bikes are so expensive :(

I'm gonna pop round in the morning to investigate ... couple of days off work you see !! By the way... If you want to see me embarrassed giving a TV interview !! check this link (I'm the winchman not the casualty !!) ...

BBC Media Player

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Problem Resolved !!!

Yes it was the clutch switch that wasn't connected ... might be worth mentioning in your new member forum to pre warn on delivery of a new bike...

Anyhow its sorted now thanks to you fellas :rockon:

:Flash:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
pictures of clutch cable

Thought I'd add these pics just incase anyone else has the same problem in the future :thumbup:

clutch_switch_disabled.JPG

clutch_switch_plugged_in.JPG

delboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem with mine when i got it, switch not connected.
They should sack the guy at the factory that is in charge of putting the connectors in. :D