Chain maintenance question, when to start for new bike.

TigerHijinks

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my '08 for 9 days now, right around 750 miles. When I was getting ready to drive it off the lot the technician said the chain came waxed from the factory and that I wouldn't need to touch it for a long time. He didn't really specify what a long time was though. I've checked the chain a couple times so far and it's starting to look a little grungy but I'm coming off a shaft drive so I don't really know much about it and how it should look. I could probably post up some pictures a little later if that might help. I had the bike in for it's first service on Saturday and they didn't say anything about it, but it was a different tech than the one who did the set-up when I bought it.

At any rate, just curious on a new bike, when do you start thinking about chain maintenance?

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
If you have the owners manual it would be wise to read it. If not then my '07 manual will be a fair guide; "The drive chain must be cleaned and lubricated at the intervals specified in the periodic maintenance and lubrication chart"...

"Every 500 mi (800 km) and after washing the motorcycle or riding in the rain."

Others do it more often, others less often. You'll get the feel when it needs it. The type of lube used, may also play a role in the frequency of lubrication.

I sense a chain lube thread... :eek:

:Sport:

tag1963

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually lube my chain once a week or depending on how hard I'm riding. I'd rather have to much lube then not enough. Once month I'll strip the old wax off with a chain cleaner and apply new lube. I use PJ-1. :rockon:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in a college town right now and I can always tell when an idiot rides by on a bike. I know they're an idiot because I can hear their chain sqeaking when they go by.

I lube mine about every other time I get gas or after a wash or rain. So around every 350-400 miles of straight riding.

Read the various threads on here and apply the lube correctly and enjoy a long life out of your chain.

I've noticed if my chain needs lubed bad and I am riding, I can tell by moving my left leg outward as to not block the sound, and my head down to the left and I can really hear the chain. When it's nice and lubed I can't really hear it.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Best practice is more often than not enough. You can't lube a chain too often! I try to lube it every other fill-up and thoroughly clean and re-lube once a month. Most lubes will penetrate the chain better with the chain warm so do it after a good solid ride.

Since you're new to this, how you lube is important too. Some n00bs think you lube the rollers but that isn't what you're shooting for. The lube is for the link plates. What hits the rollers will just be squeezed out when it hits the sprockets. Do your best to hit both sides of the plates on both sides of the chain.

Remember to get lube that is for O-Ring chains. There's a lot of talk about what to use but it comes down to personal preference. I used to use PJ1 but just switched to Dupont Multipurpose Lubricant (Wax).

Cleaner? Kerosene and a grunge brush are my preference. Many here use WD-40.

RickFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Good link from Bikerider. I clean and oil mine every 500 mi or after riding in significant rain. Cleaning is important, you can clean with any number of environmentally friendly cleaners or just use karosene and a good nylon brush along with nitrile gloves. (I use the later as it cleans great and is fully compaable with o/X ring chains) I also like using the "Grunge Brush" which is a three sided brush available at your local shop or on-line. The choice of chain oil is personal, but I found the Motul Street Bike Chain Lube to be good and does't flick off easily. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.