exhaust?

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
could some of you guys with aftermarket exhausts on your 07's maybe post some pics and reviews? i would guess that this is a popular mod and there are a few different mufflers you can buy. i am considering buying a new slip on system, but dont really know anything about the quality of the systems that are out there. i do know, however, that there is a BIG price difference between many of the different brands.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have used the scorpion slip-ons. I havent ridden anything with different exhaust on it, so i couldnt compare. I do have a friend that works for Yamaha that says the best system out there for performance is the Scorpion system. I just want something that looks cool so im gonna order the laser exhaust system.

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/laser.cfm

Put in fz6 and all the years are the same. Then click on the camera to see a pic. Looks really cool with the 4 pipes coming out of the back. I talked on line with a guy that has it on his 05' and he said the performance is about the same as the scorpion. To me close enough works.:thumbup: So I should be ordering them in the next 2 months. On another thread i said i would be getting them sooner but my girlfriend wrecked her car and depending on the damage, i might have to use part of my exaust funds.:(

Anyway. i'm sure you will get a lot of feed back on this question. Just remember it is your pocket that the money comes out of, you can get whatever you want.

Have fun and be safe!

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
I plan on buying the two brothers exhaust.

by the way, unless your planning on spending around 600 for just the parts for a scorpion (i don't even wanna think about how much the laser would be) (no labor) don't even think about it.

You might try drilling it, though, I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow to get a bit for mine. Some have had some success with that, if all you are looking for is a different sound.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
unless your planning on spending around 600 for just the parts for a scorpion (i don't even wanna think about how much the laser would be) (no labor) don't even think about it.

I just bought my Scorpions for $391 ($430 after tax & shipping).
No need for labor cost, they go on pretty easy in about 2 hrs. (Maybe faster if you're not drinking beer at the same time :iconbeer:)

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what do you mean $600 just for parts? i have seen the scorpion slip-ons go for around $430 or so online, is there extra parts to buy that dont come with the system? I know that the two brothers exhaust is a very nice set up with everything needed, rear fender eliminator and all, but its still about $750 for aluminum and $950 for titanium or c.f. I want to get the two brothers system, but its pretty expensive, and if i could get just as good of a sound and quality out of the scorpion i would go with that. anyone installed either the two brothers or the scorpion on their bike? i plan on installing my own system, since i am capable and trust my work more than someone elses. how would you guys rate the instructions, diagrams, product fit and finish, etc? that type of stuff would be helpful as well as performance differences and changes in characteristics of the bike. and im not going to drill my exhaust, i know people who have and wish they wouldnt have.

thanks

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
gmickey2001, where did you order yours from? and did you run into any problems during installation, other than maybe running out of beer? haha. how would you rate the sound as in loudness, quality (does it sound like a cheap rice burner), etc? and what was included in your order? also, i have read about more exhaust coming out of one of the canisters than the other due to poor equalization at the y pipe, is this a problem for you as well, or do you not notice it? also, have you installed a power commander or any other modifications, some have said it can run a little lean without doing so, have you noticed anything different? i would think the fuel injection is going to give it the same ratio because it has an O2 sensor and its electronic, but maybe im wrong?

thanks

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
gmickey2001, where did you order yours from? and did you run into any problems during installation, other than maybe running out of beer? haha. how would you rate the sound as in loudness, quality (does it sound like a cheap rice burner), etc? and what was included in your order? also, i have read about more exhaust coming out of one of the canisters than the other due to poor equalization at the y pipe, is this a problem for you as well, or do you not notice it? also, have you installed a power commander or any other modifications, some have said it can run a little lean without doing so, have you noticed anything different? i would think the fuel injection is going to give it the same ratio because it has an O2 sensor and its electronic, but maybe im wrong?

thanks

Well, I found a web site (actually referenced on the SBN site) that is in Sacramento, CA that had the Scorpions for $391. But they had a really horrible return policy and a huge re-stocking fee. So I called Dennis Kirk and excercised their price matching guarantee. They verified the price online while I was on the phone, then matched the OTD price. This made me feel better because Dennis Kirk has a great return policy (just in case they arrived damaged). If you want the $391 web site for reference I can look it up for you.

The package came with everything and installation was pretty easy with the exception of getting the metal clamps over the pipe. The pipes sound fantastic. Idle has a very deep rumble, not like a cheap rice burner, but at high rpm they really scream! My wife said she was embarrassed because she could hear me leaving for work and coming home from inside the house - "What will the neighbors think?"

I do note a difference in exit pressure between the two pipes, but don't really know if this matters mechanically. I do not have a power commander, I do notice a bit of a difference in idle and engine noise but don't know if they were present but unheard before. De-celeration does produce some burps (kinda like small backfire) but nothing that concerns me. And as I mentioned on another thread, my bike runs much cooler now than it did with the stock exhaust.

The best part is -even if the cagers on the freeway don't see me, there is no doubt that they can hear me.

My rating of the Scorpion exhaust for price and reward :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: (I wanted to do five but the site limited me to four)

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
what do you mean $600 just for parts? i have seen the scorpion slip-ons go for around $430 or so online, is there extra parts to buy that dont come with the system? I know that the two brothers exhaust is a very nice set up with everything needed, rear fender eliminator and all, but its still about $750 for aluminum and $950 for titanium or c.f. I want to get the two brothers system, but its pretty expensive, and if i could get just as good of a sound and quality out of the scorpion i would go with that. anyone installed either the two brothers or the scorpion on their bike? i plan on installing my own system, since i am capable and trust my work more than someone elses. how would you guys rate the instructions, diagrams, product fit and finish, etc? that type of stuff would be helpful as well as performance differences and changes in characteristics of the bike. and im not going to drill my exhaust, i know people who have and wish they wouldnt have.

thanks

power commander. Must have.

and they sound much, much better. if you want I'll post the youtube videos for reference.

and if you don't want to do something, then don't do it. don't be snarky.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks very much for the posts! sorry, i didnt mean to be snarky, although i have never seen that word used before and am glad you used it, i kinda like it. my friends will probably get pissed at me now because im going to be telling them to stop being snarky, lol! seriously, i like it. :rockon: also, that cheap website would be great to have, thanks. anyone have any sort of close up pictures of what the scorpions look like on the bike, like maybe some underneath pics of what the y pipe and clamps look like?? i appreciate all of your responses.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks very much for the posts! sorry, i didnt mean to be snarky, although i have never seen that word used before and am glad you used it, i kinda like it. my friends will probably get pissed at me now because im going to be telling them to stop being snarky, lol! seriously, i like it. :rockon: also, that cheap website would be great to have, thanks. anyone have any sort of close up pictures of what the scorpions look like on the bike, like maybe some underneath pics of what the y pipe and clamps look like?? i appreciate all of your responses.

OK - I finally found the link again.

Motorcycle Exhaust, Motorcycle Tires and Motorcycle Accessories.

This is the site with the pipes for $391. Like I said, I don't like their return policy.

Anyway, you wanna see a close-up, look at my avatar!

I will try and snap some underneath pix tomorrow and post them. It's just a y-pipe, but the can that has better flow is attached to the smooth curve as opposed to the branch (if that makes sense?).

Oh yeah, and SNARK YOU!

What the hell is snarky??? :Flip:

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site

I think snarky is a british word, my mom uses it all the time. we should get one of the UK in here to help out.

I don't know, it just kind of fit. She describes it as a mix of "snarly" and "sarcastic" hence "snarky."

Of course, knowing my mom, she just made it up.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks gmickey2001, I will be looking forward to the pics. and I googled snarky and came up with this at Urban Dictonary:

1. snarky

A word that should be googled to find the definition as per direction from Dane Cook. It means short tempered or irritable.

"He was being very snarky with me. Yeah, snarky. Its a word, google it." -Dane Cook

HAHA. I thaught it was funny.
But anyways, back to the exhaust, anyone have any other system that they would like to review and post some pics?

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a ton. Looks great :rockon: Its always nice to see great pics of a product installed, usually the manufacturers dont do a very good job at showing people that sort of stuff...