hjc ac-12 Helmet, anyone got one? are they any good?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey people, am looking at buying a HJC AC-12 Carbon Helmet.

Have read a few reviews, etc, but has anyone here, got any experience with these helmets...have been a Shoei man for 20 years!

Here's a few photo's of said helmet.

W

wrightme43

I have the HJC AC-12 Yikes as my back up/passenger helmet. Its very round and noisy. I dont know how the Carbon version is.
My other Helmet is a Suomy Spec1Rextreme and its night and day. Prior was Shark RSR2 and it was night and day too.

The HJC has a shield lock that is annoying to me. You may love it. If your used to Shoei I would definitely try one of these on before buying. The one I have is not up to the standards (comfort, noise, venting, shield) as the higher end helmets.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My experience along with many Shoei owners is.... Once you've owned Shoei, you'll not be happy with others. Maybe a Dainese or Schuberth?

I just tried on the new Shoei RF-1000 and loved the fit for a round head. Most helmets in the US have been made for oval heads for some reason. I'm looking to buy the RF-1000 now.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I too was thinking about the AC-12 Carbon for the weight. The more I ride however, I would rather have a lower sound level.

I have the CL-15 Session and it is noisy on our bike. Get out in clean air and it's not so bad. I hate that I must wear a head sock because HJC helmets, for me, are either to large or too small. The fit is odd at best.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have owned three different AC-12s. I have used Shoei helmets in the past and I prefer the HJC product. I don't have a problem with wind noise on the street or the track (however, I always wear earplugs), I like the shield lock system and I really like the removable inserts that allow you to wash them with soap and water, dry and reinstall in the helmet. I have crash tested this helmet at high speed and it saved my skull from injury, hence I'm a loyal customer.

They are Snell and DOT approved and are very sensibly priced. If you want a great helmet for less than $130, get one. If you believe in the myth "The more you spend on a helmet the better it protects", look elsewhere.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well first of all, thanks to everyone for their input. I now have my HJC AC-12 Carbon Helmet, and i love it!

Nice fit, not too noisy, and am very impressed with the build quality, the liner, the vent mechanism's, etc.

Always been a Shoei man, but this helmet is right up there with any Shoei i have had.

Have been told that the ac-12 carbon is very much hand made, and is a loss leading product for HJC, who are using this helmet to try and get more credibility in the top end of the market...whatever they are doing, i love this helmet. :)

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have this exact helmet. I love it. Super light weight, good fit/finish, good quality construction. I have ridden a Shoei 1000 as well, which I think is quieter. Overall, I am super happy with AC-12 Carbon. For the $340 I paid, I would not hesitate to get another one if mine was damaged/lost. Everyone I ride with has Shoei 1000 and I wanted something a little different. Just like my FZ6.

Keits

Dela-Where?
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
You will notice that the finish on the carbon ac-12will blister for no apparent reason. I have one also and other than that I'm pretty happy with the helmet though admittedly I've never worn Arai or shoei....

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, very cool looking helmet!! I am a HJC fan now after purchasing a CL-SP Throttle, much quiter than my Nolan, and better build quality. Will have to keep the AC-12 carbon in mind!

bombadillo

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the ac-12 el diablo and its been a great helmet. I paid too much for it, but it is a really nice, well built helmet that has exceeded all my expectations. The only thing I wish that it could be is smaller, which would probably make for a worse unit in the case of an accident.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
a few people on my other forum have this AC-15 CF helmet and they love it, lightweight and not as expensive as some other CF helmets.

i would like one if i could afford one!