for my 4,000 oil change

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
This is gonna sound stupid. I got a oil filter, and I was looking at the choices for oil. I know I want 20/40 as its called for summer oil viscosity. However, when looking at the huge selection of oil, and I saw mobil 1, rotella, you name it. I didnt see any oil that said motorcycle. I know car oil will burn a clutch, but does oil need to specify cycle oil? Anyway I got the filter but left the store with no oil until I can get a good idea here, or next time im at the yamaha dealer i'll buy some yamalube, I know thats made for my bike. Thanks all.

W

wrightme43

The first number is viscosity at the freezing point of water. The second is at 100C or boiling water.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
As much as members hate to see the "search for" statement, there really is far too many posts on oil to reference in this post.

I myself use Rotella T Triple Protection 15-40W, many others use different oil. There are many great oils and as long as you change it as recommended you'll be fine.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I still dont get it. Car oil is made different and if its used in motorcycles it will ruin the clutch as the clutch is lubricated by the motor oil. Is that a fair statement? writeme I trust your judgement for sure, but using car oil in a bike, is that ok? Thats what i'm trying to determine, I will use the oil I wish to use, I just need to know that any ol good oil will work. Not fry my clutch. Thanks, I dont need to know which oil to use, just will any ol oil do with a oil lubricated clutch, or does it need to say motorcycle oil to work.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Car oil is made different and if its used in motorcycles it will ruin the clutch as the clutch is lubricated by the motor oil. Is that a fair statement?

In general..., yes it is a fair and true statement.

...does it need to say motorcycle oil to work.

NO! It does not need to have "Motorcycle" listed anywhere on the container to be usable oil. It must however, NOT contain any energy conserving additives. If you see this symbol then do not use it.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I still dont get it. Car oil is made different and if its used in motorcycles it will ruin the clutch as the clutch is lubricated by the motor oil. Is that a fair statement? writeme I trust your judgement for sure, but using car oil in a bike, is that ok? Thats what i'm trying to determine, I will use the oil I wish to use, I just need to know that any ol good oil will work. Not fry my clutch. Thanks, I dont need to know which oil to use, just will any ol oil do with a oil lubricated clutch, or does it need to say motorcycle oil to work.

Simple, Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic... Now that was easy, now wasn't it?:thumbup:

Silver05

Reaction score
Visit site
another way you can ensure your clutch is safe: Look for the JASO MA spec on the oil. That basically designates it as "wet-clutch approved"

You don't really need to use the clutch, though... ;)