Ireland

Dev

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,
First post, just picked up my FZ6 on Saturday. Sorry to bitch on my first post but Ireland is NOT a member of the United Kingdom, either geographically or politically. Can someone please remove the Ireland part from the UK description or prepend "Northern" to the Ireland part, as this is still technically part of the UK. See you all in the european section :rockon:

W

wrightme43

LOL
I will try but I think Dennis might have to take care of that.
Welcome.

W

wrightme43

Nope that is not something I can fix. I will p.m. the tread to Dennis.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,
First post, just picked up my FZ6 on Saturday. Sorry to bitch on my first post but Ireland is NOT a member of the United Kingdom, either geographically or politically. Can someone please remove the Ireland part from the UK description or prepend "Northern" to the Ireland part, as this is still technically part of the UK. See you all in the european section :rockon:

Northern Ireland is not technically part of the UK...It IS part of the UK. :D
You guys should be thankful you have the North, otherwise Ireland would never have had a racing driver or rider to brag out. :p
Welcome to the forum, Dev! What colour is your FZ6? I got the really, really fast red one.:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,
Hi mate,
Welcome and enjoy your FZ6, I was looking for other posts from you in the European section as mentioned. My wife and her family come from the Republic. You have some great roads coming into Dublin now. I’m looking forward to riding over there in the summer. We will all be moving back early next year. Is it a real hassle to change my registration and driving licence over there? How much was your bike? I find cars in general appear to be much more expensive.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
My good lady wife's family come from the south too, Roscommon way. Her brother is visiting at the moment, he was telling me that he is looking to change his car. I know it always sounds more expensive in euros, but even when you convert it it still damned dear.

20 years ago there was money to be made shipping cars from Ireland to the UK, now it has gone full circle apparently with loads of cars being imported back to Ireland.

Dev

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the welcome.

OneTrack,
We are very careful about who we claim from the North.
There has always been more opportunites for the riders and drivers from up that way, so we'll claim whoever decides they want us ! ;)
I got a Red one too, clearly the fastest colour, Im coming from a Honda Hornet 250, so its a big difference in power and Im enjoying every minute :)

Anything with an engine is expensive in the south. We have VAT but we also have VRT. VRT is a tax on the open market value of the car/bike. This open market value already includes the manufacturers price and VAT, so its essentially a tax on a tax. If that sounds mad it is because it is ...
A lot of bikers choose to go up north or across the water and get a nice clean well maintained machine. You have a much bigger maket as well as less silly taxes so bikes are much cheaper. You have to pay the dreaded VRT when you import but its fairly reasonable for second hand bikes ... a couple of hundred euros on a 3 year old 600 say.

Perryn, I think you can keep your license for six months but then it will be dead easy to change it over. Insurance will one thing thats pricey for you though, relative to the UK anyway. It should be easy to change your reg also, assuming you have owned the bike for a while in the UK before bringing it in.

European forum is very quiet, may have to hang around here for a while instead :surrender:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the welcome.

OneTrack,
We are very careful about who we claim from the North.
There has always been more opportunites for the riders and drivers from up that way, so we'll claim whoever decides they want us ! ;)
I got a Red one too, clearly the fastest colour, Im coming from a Honda Hornet 250, so its a big difference in power and Im enjoying every minute :)

Anything with an engine is expensive in the south. We have VAT but we also have VRT. VRT is a tax on the open market value of the car/bike. This open market value already includes the manufacturers price and VAT, so its essentially a tax on a tax. If that sounds mad it is because it is ...
A lot of bikers choose to go up north or across the water and get a nice clean well maintained machine. You have a much bigger maket as well as less silly taxes so bikes are much cheaper. You have to pay the dreaded VRT when you import but its fairly reasonable for second hand bikes ... a couple of hundred euros on a 3 year old 600 say.

Perryn, I think you can keep your license for six months but then it will be dead easy to change it over. Insurance will one thing thats pricey for you though, relative to the UK anyway. It should be easy to change your reg also, assuming you have owned the bike for a while in the UK before bringing it in.

European forum is very quiet, may have to hang around here for a while instead :surrender:
I’m also thinking of visiting my rels in Dublin, Is the city a mare to ride in or is it OK? I have to admit that when I’ve been to Dublin before its always been as a pedestrian. I did have a large quantity of the black stuff on board (ballast, you understand) and the roads looked proper mad. It is true though Guinness is better over there. By the way I have the superior and stylish but slightly slower black and silver model.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My good lady wife's family come from the south too, Roscommon way. Her brother is visiting at the moment, he was telling me that he is looking to change his car. I know it always sounds more expensive in euros, but even when you convert it it still damned dear.

20 years ago there was money to be made shipping cars from Ireland to the UK, now it has gone full circle apparently with loads of cars being imported back to Ireland.
I was looking at used car prices and your right even with the conversion they are outrageous. The thing that strikes me though is that the body work on later models looks in better nick than they do over here. My father in law
(Co offaly) says that they don't grit the roads.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome Dev ... :)

I also have recently bought an FZ6 07 ... In Ultrafast blue though ;)

2nd_day_out_002.jpg

Only recently passed my test so taking it reallllllllly steady :)

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

I sure wish I knew what the heck you all are talking about. LOL

J/King just giving a hard time.

When I was in Scotland I came very close to getting beat up the first night I was there. I was in a pub, and old Scot guy offered to buy me a drink. I told him thanks I would like a Old Bushmills Irish whiskey. I didnt think about it at all.
The girl that was with me took off to go find my friends to keep me from getting my *** beat. I guess they saw I didnt mean any harm by it, I just dont like scotch, so by the time they all showed up we were sitting down laughing and getting more drunk.

I bought some scotch to smuggle home, but decided to sneak it off the boat in Norway, and drink it there. I still hated it, but I wanted something to drink. Almost went to jail in Bergen.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
When I was in Scotland I came very close to getting beat up the first night I was there. I was in a pub, and old Scot guy offered to buy me a drink. I told him thanks I would like a Old Bushmills Irish whiskey. I didnt think about it at all.
The girl that was with me took off to go find my friends to keep me from getting my *** beat. I guess they saw I didnt mean any harm by it, I just dont like scotch, so by the time they all showed up we were sitting down laughing and getting more drunk.

Ahh....Even though it was Scotland (which should be regarded as a country of savages:p), I suspect what the REAL issue was is that you were in a Protestant pub, where you would have been quite safe ordering Jamieson's Irish Whiskey. You see, Bushmills is Catholic Whisky, and Jamieson's is Protestant Whiskey.
Unless somebody else is buying, that is. :D

W

wrightme43

LOL
See that I would of never known.
Never would of occured to me.
As a matter of fact, I was raised a babtist protestant, and at the time I was married to a nice hot little catholic girl.

I always thought the Scottish didnt like the Irish, and vice versa. Never could figure out why, I have pretty much liked everybody I have ever met. Who knows. Pretty much every body is easy to get along with.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL
See that I would of never known.
Never would of occured to me.
As a matter of fact, I was raised a babtist protestant, and at the time I was married to a nice hot little catholic girl.

I always thought the Scottish didnt like the Irish, and vice versa. Never could figure out why, I have pretty much liked everybody I have ever met. Who knows. Pretty much every body is easy to get along with.
The path of religion runs deeper than most things; I suspect what really happened was. The whiskey you wanted was more expensive than the one being offered. The Scots are (unjustly) legendary for their tight fisted ways. The extra cost would have surely eaten into the budget of the next round. All of his mates came piling in. Simpley to boost the kitty, so you could have your tipple and the Scots could prove what accommodating host they truly are.
I reckon common sense should prevail. Read the stats from the admin post about guardrail injuries. 80% of us will die anyway. Who gives a flying what sit what belief system we all live by. Live for the day, have a laugh meet some good biking buddies on the way. I would even go as far as to accept (allegedly) The Red one as being the fastest. Amen. Now who's buying the whisky?

W

wrightme43

Some one was pulling your leg about the red one man. The blue ones are fastest.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Woo Hoo..some Irish people on here!! Not that there's anything wrong with the rest of you lot! :)

I'm just new here...seeking information and my mind is basking in blisful knowledge that will allow me to chose the correct bike colour!!

I live just outside Dublin...in another county I may add (I'm not a Dub!!!) and will be moving to northern Ireland where biking is so so so much cheaper!! Its cheaper to insure, tax, purchase a new bike etc...

I'll be definately buying the FZ6 in probably RED coz the blue is just too cold, the black is just too dark while the red is just RED hot and what colour is a jet engine's flame...RED...so ya see....its the hottest fastest sleaker colour!! :Flip: <----Tis a bit rude dont ya think!!

So anyways, If any of you are interested in coming to Ireland (north and south) we have some amazing roads over here and the view to go with it. The North has some of the best roads I have seen in quite some time while some of the roads in the republic are in desperate need of a repair...just look out for holes in the road out in the countryside. The roads leading to and from Dublin are great, expecially out in Wicklow (the county beside Dublin) and the mountain area is amazing. Some great twisties there.

I hope to frequent the site more often....I only found it tonight while looking for cowling and a full fairing for the FZ6 bike which I intend to buy! I just have to move to Northern Ireland first before I can make the purchase!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woo Hoo..some Irish people on here!! Not that there's anything wrong with the rest of you lot! :)

I'm just new here...seeking information and my mind is basking in blisful knowledge that will allow me to chose the correct bike colour!!

I live just outside Dublin...in another county I may add (I'm not a Dub!!!) and will be moving to northern Ireland where biking is so so so much cheaper!! Its cheaper to insure, tax, purchase a new bike etc...

I'll be definately buying the FZ6 in probably RED coz the blue is just too cold, the black is just too dark while the red is just RED hot and what colour is a jet engine's flame...RED...so ya see....its the hottest fastest sleaker colour!! :Flip: <----Tis a bit rude dont ya think!!

So anyways, If any of you are interested in coming to Ireland (north and south) we have some amazing roads over here and the view to go with it. The North has some of the best roads I have seen in quite some time while some of the roads in the republic are in desperate need of a repair...just look out for holes in the road out in the countryside. The roads leading to and from Dublin are great, expecially out in Wicklow (the county beside Dublin) and the mountain area is amazing. Some great twisties there.

I hope to frequent the site more often....I only found it tonight while looking for cowling and a full fairing for the FZ6 bike which I intend to buy! I just have to move to Northern Ireland first before I can make the purchase!!
Good luck, Follow me im right behind ye, I will hopefully be moving to the north in 2008. See ya at the Manx. Neil (Niall) ifye prefer.

Dev

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Scorphonic,
Im big fan of the Wickla roads myself, some real loonies up the gap on a Sunday
:thumbup: Biking is cheaper up north alright, you are gonna buy the bike up there too ?