Pro Grip 724 Series

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Decided to change out the hard stock grips with something that I thought would be more comfortable and grippy. To remove the stock grips, I ended up slicing them open with a razor blade. Before doing doing this on the throttle side, I found it easier to just remove the throttle tube and remove the stock grips that way. To install the new grips, i just sprayed WD40 on the throttle tube and on the left handle bar side, and then I just pushed the new grips on. Doesn't require too much force, but it does take some time. Once they were on, I wiped away the excess WD40. I then rolled the grips back (kinda like rolling back a condom) about 1/4 of the way to apply some grip glue. I did this on the inner and outter portion of the grips.

After riding with them for about a week here are my thoughts about them...

Cons:
- Grips felt thinner than stock
- Grip material softer than stock, but not enough to be a big improvement
- Doubtful of longevity of grips because of the soft material

Pros:
- Grip material is more grippy than stock
- Some vibrations were dampened

Conclusion:
If I had to start all over again, I think I would have tried some of Pro Grip's other grips instead. Because the imrpovement in comfort was so minor and the reduction is grip diameter, I would not recommend the 724 series.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the post! I have been curious as to how effective those would be to reduce vibrations. My brother has some ProGrips (dunno which ones) but i was also wondering since they softer if that meant they would get used up alot quicker...I also had to slice my OEM grips in half to get them off when i installed my heated ones, lol

Gigot2000

L'Bon Dieu Amen
Reaction score
Visit site
Did it last weekend and just approving everything said. I would buy something else. Actually, I tought they would be bigger but they fell smaller (maybe 'cause of the gel fabric?).
+1 Definitely more grippy.
PS: Exacto and simple hand sanitizer (Purell) did the job.

Gigot2000

L'Bon Dieu Amen
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I need to get used to it. I'll come back on it in a week or so. But if you think OEM were too big, these could be nice for you.
Oh! And they look great too! :cheer:
For now, I would say OEM are better. Less grip, but bigger and that's what important to me.

Last edited:

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Next month I may try another pair of grips. The company that makes them is called Harris. They have the FZ6 logo on the grips and the material is made from "space age polymer." They cost twice as much as the pro grips, but I guess the "space age polymer" is higher quality than the material used on the Pro Grips. My friend has a CBR600 with these and they felt nice; grippy, not too soft and durable.

Here's a link if anyone is curious:
Harris Road Grips - FZ6 - Chaparral Motorsports

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah i had seen some Harris grips, they have a bunch of different designs. They also look abit thicker than the pro grips.

Gigot2000

L'Bon Dieu Amen
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at the Harris ones. Simply looked slippy but they're maybe not. Saw one of these installed on the "Other" forum... Maybe you should ask.
I'm getting used to the 724 now...
I guess, on long trip, this could be interesting. More grip meaning less force on the grip in the end, which I'm looking for.
Keep us informed :)