Pulsating brake lights....legal?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
When I was in Alberta last week, I noticed quite a few riders with pulsating brake lights, mostly riders with US license plates....Just wondering what your opinion of them is. :) (the pulsating brake lights, not riders in Alberta with US license plates... :D )

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think that pulsating brake lights would get your attention better with just one vehicle in front of you, but then I think of being stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic in LA during rush hour, and everybody's brake lights are pulsating; that would give you a headache and an accident in short order...

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as being leagal, yes. Ford Motor Co. had pulsating "Third Brake Lights" on some of their models a few years back but they stoped putting them in for reasons unknown to me.

I don't really like to be behind anyone who has them. It's not bad if they blink a couple of times and then stay red but when they keep blinking after the person stops it drives me nuts. When I'm behind somebody who does have it I think to myself " This blinking break light's about the most annoying thing ever! Maybe I should rearend that guy to make that stupid light go out!"..........Maybe that's why Ford stoped putting them in their vehicles. LOL

Reaction score
Visit site
Afraid you will find as many opinions as you do motorcycles. Personally, I'm considering installing just a system on mine. Would prefer a system that's easy to install, flashes and then goes steady, and include the rear turn signals as running/stop lights. Just don't know quality sources or costs. I do know they're legal here in Texas....for now.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I just added some additional LP mini led clusters to my FE kit:

DSCF1772.JPG

Also added a 30LED brake light:

1156-r30.jpg

More info here: Boneman's "FAZED" web site - Mods: Rear LED Brake Light

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen people put on the kits where the brake light flashes like a police light. They pulsate fast and random for 3 seconds after you hit the brakes then after that they go out. If i could find a decent video camera i could upload a vid of the ones my dad has on his bike.

They really arent that annoying if you get the set-up that turns off after a few seconds. If they stayed on i can see where they would be annoying. Lucky for me i havent been stuck behind anyone with a constant blinking light.:)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not an option for us in the UK as the Nanny state deems them illegal.....Even on cycles.
Personally I like the idea of flashing then staying on. F1 cars don't seem to have a problem with them.

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
A mate of mine fitted a module (3 flashes then steady on) to his brakelights in his civic type r, simply as he had over £12 worth of stereo in the back end + two nitrous bottles, and didnt want any one "detonating" him :eek: so far he hasnt had any problems with the MOT, the garage he gets it done at actually helped him fit it properly ;)

Im not sure what my local tester is like now, but he's usually pretty good with stuff like that, he passed my bike with straight through pipes that I built (no e marks), The tests due on my volvo in the next few weeks so I'll quizz him and see what he says :BLAA:

darkstofknightz

Reaction score
Visit site
I have them on my bike, and a few people I ride with have them too. Imho they do seem to be more noticeable.......Just think of police leds, its the same concept. As for the people behind you being annoyed in traffic, I think at least for me they would be annoyed more by my un-silenced 2bros before brake lights :rockon: