First unscheduled maintenance...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had this Friday off, hopped on the bike to practice in the local church parking lot again before it got too hot out. I'm still stalling the bike out occasionally, and I noticed the battery appeared to be getting weaker and weaker with each start, so I got on the road and puttered through the neighborhood. Drove about three miles, turned around in a parking lot, stalled it again, and it was deader than a doornail.
Didn't have my new cellphone with me, of course (note to self: ... ). It wasn't too warm yet so I walked back home, broke in my new boots if nothing else. Now I have to wait three hours or so for the tow truck, kinda changed my plans for the day.
Sounds like the battery is not getting a charge, hope its something simple. Guess I'll be finding out if the warrantee transfers now, too. :D

kimocal

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you try push starting it? My battery died one time from leaving the high beams on and fan running after it was off. Gave it a push start and rode the bike till the battery was good again.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't; didn't even think of it (I've actually push-started my old '77 VW van a couple of times, by myself!). Glad to hear the electronics don't interfere with push-starting (they do on all my newer vehicles) but again I think my problem was the battery wasn't charging while it was running, so I don't know if push-starting it would've done any good anyway.
The Yamaha dealership repair guys work Saturdays here, he said he'd give me a call tomorrow morning about what's up. I miss my little blue bike already! :eek:

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
With the FI I don't think a push start will work. The injectors have to have pressure to get the engine to fire off, that means the battery has to run the fuel pump. No battery, no fuel pump. No fuel pump, no gas. No gas, no fire. No fire, no run. No run, no go. Down side of modern technology.:banghead: