boot review X2

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
so ive had a pair of joe rocket sonic boots for a couple months now
823_16233.jpg

i set out looking a pair of tall, conservative looking (read: little plastic) yet still protective boots. i also wanted something waterproof. i have pretty wide, flat feet and finding comfortable footwear is a bit of a hastle. my choices were somewhat limited given the selection at local shops and the fact that i wouldnt buy without trying them on first.
ive been generally pretty happy with them. the pair in my correct size were a little too narrow, so switched them for a size up and added some thicker insole to take up some volume inside.
they wernt 100% waterproof, but the leaks were pretty minimal. i liked the fact they had a buckle and felt very secure on my feet. they were soft enough to walk around the mall in but i woulnt want to walk all day in them.

i returned them last weekend as i found they thick leather uppers had began to split at the stiching near the ankle on both boots.

since i wasnt really impressed with either the comfort or quality, i tried on litterally every pair they had in the store that fit me including motocross boots. must have been about a dozen or so.

so now ive exchanged them for a pair of alpinestars smx-4's
222306_black.jpg

granted i have only a few hours on them now, they are night and day compared to the sonic's.
they were about 25% more money, but the quailty, design, fit and function is in another league. i didnt really consider them a few months ago as they do have a fair bit of flashy plastic including some chunky toe sliders that im not particualarly fond of. they are removable though.

fisrt off, they are the widest fitting boot ive tried, period - which makes them 10 times more comfy for my feet. second, theyre stiff and supportive in the right places, yet flexible where they need to be. i feel better protected, yet theyre easier to shift with.
they have small vents with steel mesh. im amazed at how functional they are given their size. the cool air is noticeable.
they close with a zipper and velcro. not my preferance but they seem very secure and adjustable. the zipper is quailty and even has a velcro pull tab so it cant come undone.
overall im very impressed. quality is superb. there seems to be quite a few details thought of for a boot in this price range.
the boot comes in both waterproof and non-waterproof versions. my only concern is that while the sign on the shelf said they were the waterproof model, im not positive has what i have. i did ride in a brief but heavy rainstorm on my way home, and while my feet did stay dry, i cant see them allowing the airflow they do and still be waterproof. time will tell.

joe rocket sonics: 6/10 - recomended but average
alpinestars smx-4: 9.5/10 - highly recomended, especially for wide feet.

both are made in china.
:Sport:

J

jsteinb95

You get what you pay for. Nice lookin boots. Maybe post in here again for an update after you break 'em in and have a few rides in 'em. :thumbup: