Had the FZ6 one day...

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...and someone hit it in the parking lot. I went down to Boerne lake to go spear fishing with my friends, and when I got back, I found out that some &%$* hit my bike on the right side of the tank (leaving a dent) while parking and knocked it off the kick stand causing it to slide down the hill I was parked on for a few feet. Now my magneto cover is scuffed up, and the silver fairing piece that holds the turn signal is torn from the light being pushed in. I asked around, and nobody claimed to have seen it. :rant:

I'm waiting for my fuel level to get low enough so I can try the dry ice trick to pop the dent out, and I'm thinking about pulling off the magneto cover, grinding it smooth and polishing it instead of replacing it. I'm going to repair the fairing piece with some fiberglass on the back side to give it strength for now and replace it next year to make sure I don't replace it twice since I'm still learning.

The moral of the story is that every bit of damage on my vehicles have been caused by hit & runs in parking lots, so the first one I catch will wish they were dead.

S

sportrider

wow, that sucks!!!! this is why so many of us park on sidewalks, bicycle parking, by the front of stores, etc. I hate to have to park in a place that is accessible to cars.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:
J

jsteinb95

That really sucks, man! This is happening way too often and it's been "hit and run."

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, that's also why I park on the concrete areas at stores. I'm afraid of hit and runs, although if there's ever a lot where that's not possible, I park in a spot and try to make is as visible as possible. If I'm ever in that situation and I find a spot that already has a bike in it, then I will park in that spot next to the bike, even if it's farther away then other spots. Two bikes are easier to see than one.

I never heard of the dry ice trick. Would that have any negative effects on your gas or engine?

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used the dry ice trick a couple of times on friend's cars. You just leave it out in the sun on a hot day and then press a chunk of dry ice into the dent (wearing leather gloves) which causes the metal to rapidly contract and hopefully pop the dent out. If the fuel level is above the level of the dent, it's going to dissipate the rapid temperature change and keep it from working.

Thanks for the ding king thread link. I'll just buy one of those if the dry ice doesn't work. :D

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used the dry ice trick a couple of times on friend's cars. You just leave it out in the sun on a hot day and then press a chunk of dry ice into the dent (wearing leather gloves) which causes the metal to rapidly contract and hopefully pop the dent out. If the fuel level is above the level of the dent, it's going to dissipate the rapid temperature change and keep it from working.

Thanks for the ding king thread link. I'll just buy one of those if the dry ice doesn't work. :D

I've done the same with a hair dryer and a can of Dust-off (compressed air). Heat the dent with the hair dryer until it's too hot to touch (empty tank) and then turn the can of air upside down. Rapidly spray the dent starting in the middle and use small circles to work out to the end. At this point, do not touch it at all and wait for the ice to disappear and the dent should pop out. Be patient.

And ,sorry to hear about the bike. People just suck sometimes.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to hear about the bike, as well as repairs you might want to get an alarm on it to draw attention if it were to tip or bump. at least you can have witnesses then...

Good luck with the repairs.