Helmet painting

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Anyone ever tried painting a helmet? I have a black EXO 400 that I want to paint red, and am looking for advice. I pulled all the gaskets and plastics off the helmet and have it ready, but was wondering what advice you guys may have for painting it.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Anyone ever tried painting a helmet? I have a black EXO 400 that I want to paint red, and am looking for advice. I pulled all the gaskets and plastics off the helmet and have it ready, but was wondering what advice you guys may have for painting it.

Generally helmet companies do not recommend this, mostly because certain chemical exposure can weaken the integrity of the helmet. I'd talk to the company who made the helmet before painting it for any advice on what to use and what to avoid.

H

HavBlue

The helmet companies will not likely accept any liability beyond the original helmet and its design from the factory. That said, they do make paints that are plastic safe and folks like Troy Lee have been putting their designs on helmets for years. One such company is Smart Race Paint and if you go to their site you can see the work they do. Just be sure the paint you are using is specifically for plastics and fiberglass.

--------Welcome to Smart Race Paint. Helmet painting at it's best.---------

benny66

Reaction score
Visit site
make sure u paint it right. i race motocross and have seen hundreds of **** paint jobs that in idea were great but after a amature took a paint gun or spray bomb to the helmet it came out like ****. read up on it, sand-paint-wet sand-paint-wet sand-paint-clear-wet sand buff. is the general paint process my painter goes threw on personal jobs (hes my girlfriends father) if u go for a metalic red then make sure u wet sand and re-paint because any imperfection in a metalic will stick out like a sore thumb. if its a new helmet u can skip alot of the re painting but anything thats been used a few months should be done that way. trust me it will shine like no other helmate u have ever seen.

not the best picture of my helmet its been used about a year but it is still nice :).