First Time buying gear

new06fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
W

wrightme43

Sidi B-2 Motorcycle Race Boots :: New Enough, LTD

Alpinestars S-MX 4 Motorcycle Race Boots :: New Enough, LTD

Pants you need pants MINIMUM kevlar lined heavy wieght jeans. I crash tested Shifts Torque jean and it did alot better than I thought. I have knee armor for them now as well. Pants - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

These gloves are awesome. Very very very comfortable with lots of protection and great control. Highly reccomend gauntlet style gloves. Held Long Gloves - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

Helmet you need to get what fits your head. This is all I am going to say about Icon. They spend a whole lot of money on advertisement and placement. You dont see a lot of top riders sporting thier gear though. Well I guess I should say this as well. I bought boots, gloves, and pants from them. They were junk and went in the closet never to be worn again, and then I had to buy more gear.

Jacket in my opinion you are better served with more than one. A jacket that is convertable wont do either job as good as a dedicated item.

Perforated leather jackets are very nice in the summer heat.

Try a search as well. We have many threads asking the exact same questions you are.

Last edited by a moderator:

new06fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks I like those boots but I wanted something I can ride in and also use at work. Yeah I have to look into jeans aswell

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
the Shoei RF-1000 is a great helmet IMHO.

At ~$45 those A* gloves look like a steal.

You should be able to get a high qaulity perforated leather jacket with removable liners etc. for the price of that textile one. You'll be safer and more comfortable when moving.

Don't underestimate the importance of good BOOTS. Would it be possible to leave an extra set of shoes AT work for use when you're there? When there's a will, there's a way...don't skimp on lower leg/foot protection.

new06fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to look more into jackets it seems there are ones that are much safer then others after looking for more. I think my mind is made up on the helmet and gloves. For boots I was thinking about keeping normal shoes in a backpack and changing when I got to work but I am still unsure if I really want a Full boot or not

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tip: Go to local retailers first and try stuff on. Note what fits the best. Ask to actually sit on your model bike to be sure the form and fit are comfortable in the rider's position. Then, leave it all behind, visit the online venders and buy what you've tried.

Most here will agree that you will not get much better pricing and almost NEVER get better customer service than New Enough Motorcycle Apparel sells motorcycle jackets, pants and suits, boots, gloves, helmets, etc :: New Enough, LTD

Short gloves and boots are fine until the first accident. You'll regret you didn't spend more and get better protection.

Hope this helps!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
WARNING...GRAPHIC post

For boots I was thinking about keeping normal shoes in a backpack and changing when I got to work but I am still unsure if I really want a Full boot or not

yeah, I hear you man (expensive, look funny, not the BEST for a lot of walking)....but I learned the hard way.
Graphic pic (sorta)
2557694520_33f222f5cc_o.jpg

this one is GRAPHIC (cleaned wound with stitches)
2556871527_d6aa935a9e_o.jpg

The swelling weeks later...
2556925469_6c9643178e_o.jpg

I was wearing boots similar to the ones you're looking at; I was also wearing leather riding pants. Relatively lowspeed lowside...kickstand TO THE BONE! I could barely walk for weeks and could have died had I hit an artery. ~$5K in medical bills (covered by insurance).

Lucky I didn't break any bones like everyone else seems to do...screws in your leg would suck.

I won't give you a hard time about your gear choices...I just can't assume you know what you're up against (I didn't fully understand how easily you could get all messed up without gear).

Last edited:

new06fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks guys for all the help. As for shoping I was going to the store to see what size I need then order online. Unless they want to match price

Trommel

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a Joe Rocket Alter Ego as well, i had to get it ordered (Medium Tall) it fits like a glove, at the shop i fell in love with it... that was yesterday. This morning on my ride in to work, hopped on the highway and started to notice that it was a lot baggier than i remembered.... The zipper had come undone. When you have it in the mesh configuration, the zipper does not lock, and there is nothing at the neck to keep force from ripping it wide open on you.

If anyone knows how to fix this and i am just been dumb about wearing it, Please let me know. otherwise, i am going to return it to the store tomorrow. Shame too, it seems like a really nice jacket, but im not going to get something that has been designed and tested by 5 yr olds.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Trommel,
My friend had a problem with his Joe Rocket jacket similar to yours. He just called Joe Rocket, explained the problem, and they sent him a new zipper kit free of charge. However, after a couple of months later, the zipper got stuck again, and the zip line also derailed. Maybe a Joe Rocket thing? who knows...

Last edited:

new06fz6

Reaction score
Visit site

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
most fatal moto injuries tend to be chest injuries according to some research i had done when i started riding.

most jackets and aftermarket chest protectors are rubbish.

this is the BEST chest protector on the market right now. BELIEVE me i researched this for a month straight:

it is made by Knox and is available as part of a full upperbody suit, or with the backprotector, or alone.
17755.jpg

also, the back protector that comes in jackets are also rubbish. even most aftermarket ones are rubbish. it is your spine. i wouldnt want to slide or bounce into a curb at 100kph with something that flimsy.

good chest/back combo's are:

this ones not bad:
Alpinestars Bionic SP Vest - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

but this one's waaay better (ive seen em both and i bought this one) :

this is the back protector alone but its available in combos with other stuff.
Knox Stowaway BAck protector

knox_stowaway_350p.jpg

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the T pro Forcefield chest and back protector combo...SportRider gave them the highest rating in a recent test

Armor

Very comfortable...I even wear the combo when I ride dirt now!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the T pro Forcefield chest and back protector combo...SportRider gave them the highest rating in a recent test

Armor

Very comfortable...I even wear the combo when I ride dirt now!

those are good too, anythings better than the stuff u get in moto jackets, thats flimsy as heck