Garmin Zumo 550 GPS Install

Gbusch

Reaction score
Visit site
To ant mb and all of you waiting for pics.

I have installed a Garmin Zumo 550 on my 2007 FZ6. I also use it on my Honda Valkyrie Interstate, and with the car mount in my BMW 328I. On the FZ6, I used the mount that came with it. It is a standard RAM mount system avaliable at Cyclegadgets.com. It is simply the best GPS for motorcycles out there, although a little expensive. I powered the unit to the cradle, using a 2 pole SAE conector, and from the battery, a Battery Tender lead that I also use for charging. The Garmin is a great unit, but you should probably get used to it in the car first, and then use on the bike, bit fidgety when learning on the bike. I hear the MP3 player, Nav prompts and can take phone calls via a Cardo Scala bluetooth headset(made specifically for helmets, 2 speakers and mike in helmet). Phone calls are hands free if you have a voice activated phone paired to the Garmin and the bluetooth headset paired to the Garmin. It is really slick. You can also just run a wire headset directly to the Zumo. On the Valk, I have the whole system wired in to the audio system (via aux plug) on the bike and purchased a Kennedy Cellset MS2 that converts the intercom mike in my helmet to the mike for the cell phone. Good J and M speakers in the helmet give great sound, and stiil have intercom, CB radio, cell phone, nav prompts, AM/FM stereo, etc. I have not gotten lost yet. On the FZ6 I mounted it for my riding position so I can still see the LCD display, and my speed. Although the Garmin also gives you your speed. Has too many neat functions to mention here. Check it out on Garmins site. Also, if you get one, install the Mapsource software on your pc. You can plot trips anywhere, and download directly to the GPS. You can even fly your route via Google earth, real time. Hit the Where to button and you are on your way. And yes you really can use the Garmin with gloves on. The SD card is the best place to load MP3's so as not to take up too much room on the Garmin hardirve.

The attached pics, I will do in several posts: There are pics of my valk as well on the lift getting new tires, and the Zumo on the Valk.

Here is a list of the mods I have done on the FZ6 that you will see in the pics:

1. Battery Tender pigtail (2 pole SAE connector)
2. Motovation frame sliders, fork sliders and swing arm slider, also used as spools to raise the bike with a wheel lift.
3. Motosport refelective wheel tape (real refective, good safety item)
4. TCP Seat Cowl, purchased from Twisted Throttle.com
5. Chin Fairing - from Yamaha.
6. Cortech mini tank bag (great bag fore the money and expandable)
7. Marsee Tailbag (do not know if still available, purchased it a couple years ago)
8. Head light mod, through the headlight switch (you can't even tell.)
9. Scala Cardo FM Rider Bluetooth Headset
10. Magknight Carbon fiber magnetic tank protector

Comming soon: Bagster Tankprotector and matching clip on tank bag. Available at Rideaddict.com. They actually make color matching tank covers and bags for the FZ6. I do a few track days each year and the tank protector is a good precaution when you are sliding all over the tank.

Well Sorry, I wanted to post pics, but they are all too big, about 300 to 600Kb. Any one know how to make them smaller? I shot them on the lowest pixel setting that my camera has, or alternative way to post?? I have about 30 in all. Jpegs can only be 293kb?? Is there a site I can send to?? HELP!!!

I can only post 2 of the pics. Someone tell me how to post the rest??? Even the Zip file with all pictures is 13MB

Gbusch

Reaction score
Visit site
Garmin Zumo 550 GPS and other mods

See my previous post on this topic. Sorry everyone. The pics are in the photo gallery, under Gbusch FZ6 mods, labeled

FZ6forumpics_1-30

This was the only way I could figure to post...

Thanks

Gbusch

Reaction score
Visit site

Sorry again. The pics are under FZ6 mods in the Photo gallery

I am a beginner with these forums....

Gbusch

Reaction score
Visit site

You can also go to Photo Gallery, Member Galleries, and look under Gbusch.