How do I explain a street bike to friends and loved ones?

benny66

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. I’m 17 years old and have spent most of my life racing motocross and riding dirt bikes, as ive grown up I have found no time to ride, train or race. I have excepted that and understand its all part of growing up, even if I could ride I cant take the chance of getting hurt coming up on college in august.

I need something to substitute the excitement of motocross, any one here who has raced can agree with me that that is a feeling that is almost impossible to replicate. Without it I have no way to release all of my frustrations and stresses related to life. So long story shortened a bit, I want a road bike, at this point I plan on buying a FZ6 at the end of the upcoming winter.

My girlfriend of 3 years and her family has voiced a strong opposition to me getting a bike. Her father is a automotive painter who has painted the bikes of many people who have died riding and had many friends who have died riding. Her mother is a caring person who is a tad bit over protective and my girlfriend herself has never done anything close to racing and doesn’t understand the rush that I no longer get.

i just reolized i probly posted this in the wrong section so any moderaters that want to move this feel free.

Now that I have explained my situation I finish with my question. What is the best way to explain to people who done understand me getting a bike, that I will be safe and that this is something I need? Thank you for taking the time to read this and any suggestions will help.:popcorn:

my father is ok with me getting a bike. his brother was injured in a bad motorcycle accident but my father has excepted the accident was my uncles fault not the drivers that hit him.

Last edited:

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I wish I had a answer for you. Sounds like her dad will not change his mind from what he has experienced. I ride and my mom, wife, inlaws are all against it. I just tell them people die taking a shower, or walking out the front door everyday. Yes motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. But I do believe you can make a motorcycle safer by riding within your parameters, not the bikes. The bike is always more capable then you will be. We all ride over our heads sometimes, some live to tell and some dont. If you do get a bike take the msf course AND PLEASE WEAR GEAR. And always remember that bike can put you in a wad in no time. Respect the bike.

W

wrightme43

I dont know. Some people I just smile and nod at. Others I dont worry about. If I were in your shoes, I would explain to your lady friend this is something I feel like I have to do. You might explain that life is very short. To short to not do what you have a passion for. The fact is that you or I may die everytime we get in a car, climb a ladder, walk up a flight of stairs, take a shower, blow dry your hair, work under a car, ski, boat, or swim. Life is very fleeting and must be savored and enjoyed. Anything less is akin to eating plain oatmeal everyday so your regular and dont have a heart attack.

This is only me, it may not be you. I am sure there are 17 year olds that are more mature than I am at 35. I was not ready to ride a street bike at 17. I drank to much, and I had to show off to much. You have racing experince and I am sure you have crashed enough to know not to act like a fool on the steet. That being said I would step back and make sure you can keep your ego in check on the street. I (at 35) let mine be a contributing factor in a crash that if there had been a oncoming car I would not be here to discuss this with you. I rode over my head, tired, dehydrated, hungry, and I made a error in line selection, speed, and turn in.
I am not knocking on you because of your age, please do not take anything I have said that way. I am only telling you about me, and what I think, and what I was like.

If you feel you have to ride, ride. Dont miss it on account of others feelings. Then again for me there is this as well. This is in reference to my crash. I have custody of my niece. She depends on me. My ego put her future at risk as well as my own. It still bothers me. I am insured, but she needs me, not cash. It has really slowed me down on the street.

BH17

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm only 18, and i was very lucky that my father rides a yamaha crusier, which helped my family understand me getting a motorcycle. Yet, its more of a sport bike, and they are scared just like everyone else. It did alot of help when i took the safety class and also when i got all of my gear to wear. 600cc, is the middle size for a sport bike, so its powerful, but then again there are faster ones. Also, you have alot of riding experience from your dirtbikes, so mention that, and how know the feel of riding one, and with people around you because you raced. I would say take every safety caution, and show them how safe you want to be. That would be you best bet! Good luck! - Brian

koolfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Things are going to happen when they happen. I believe things happen for a reason. The fact that you have riden a dirt bike and motorcross would, I think, help with them understand. I have riden a dirt bike once, and nothing after that. I took the Motorcycle Safety Course and was impressed with the wealth of information they spoke of there. In fact our instructor was a motorcycle cop. When he took the course, required to be an instructor, he learned alot more than he ever new through out the 22 years of riding, he was self taught.

Basically what i am saying is enjoy what you want to do. OF course bikes are more dangerous than cars, however you must do the things you enjoy. Hopefully they will understand, you have a past of 2 wheeled ridin which should be taken in account.

Good luck, Ride safe, Enjoy!:Sport:

minimad

Reaction score
Visit site
When people have a go at me for riding a bike saying its dangerous and all that, i give them one fact that soon shuts them up.

"Statistically you have more chance of getting killed walking down the street than you do riding a motorbike."

Just say to them, if you give up walking, ill give up riding my bike.

This usually shuts them up.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I'm not really sure what to say other than I wouldn't be too worried about my girlfriend's dad's opinion unless I really respected him. If she can't support your decision then this will be a problem for a long time. You have to decide if you want to fight that battle forever. Get the bike and be careful.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
as far as i can tell, they may not like it but after you have them bike they will get used to it, my parents hated that i got a bike when i did, but now it seems strange to them to see me driving a car, if it is sunny out and i am in the car for some reason, they assume that there is something wrong with my bike.

At your age people will have to understand that you are beginning to live your own life and that they really have no say over it anymore. Live it like you want to, you only get one!!!

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
i'll chip in here with a bit of insight.
First of all, you didn't mention anything about what YOUR parents say about getting a motorcycle. Your parents know you better than anyone else around you, and they can usually tell you how good or bad an idea it is. (When i got my first bike, my dad was pissed off, but as soon as he saw me riding, he was happy just because I WAS HAPPY) and he realized that i'm not doing crazy stunts (even though i blew past him at 100mph).

Second, the reason your girlfriend's parenst are against you getting a bike is not because they fear for YOUR life, it's because they fear for their daugther's life. To them a boyfriend with a motorcycle spells a lot of trouble. The parents of my previous girlfriend went crazy when they heard that i'm getting a motorcycle. They started freaking out, saying that their daughter is gonna die, that she can't get on the motorcycle with me, etc.

All I can say is this, the only people you need to explain why you're getting a motorcycle are your parents. You have nothing to report to ANYONE else. PERIOD.

As soon as you take your girlfriend on the bike (which should only be after you first year of riding) then you will have to explain yourself to her parents. But for now, do what you want.

Ride safe !!!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
A. You're 17 have more sex to release that frustration..:D

B. They have no issues with a nice safe sport like motorcross (sarcasm), but are against street bikes.... Hmmmm... little ironic don't you think?...

C. You're a man now... time to do what's right for you....;) What does your gut tell you?

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I need something to substitute the excitement of motocross, any one here who has raced can agree with me that that is a feeling that is almost impossible to replicate. Without it I have no way to release all of my frustrations and stresses related to life.

....that I will be safe and that this is something I need?

First of all, you need to look in the mirror and be honest with yourself...if you ride an FZ6 on the street in such a manner as to "substitute the excitement of racing motocross", how safe are you going to be? I have 16 and 19 year old kids. If either one of them wanted to ride I would let them, however, if either one of them tried to convince me it was safe, I would laugh at them. If they talked about the rewards of riding I would listen. Riding on the street is a dangerous endeavor. You no doubt have more riding ability in your pinky than I have riding on the street for 6 years. However, there is simply too much out of your control to make it "safe". When I was taking my MSF course, one of my instructors showed up a bit banged up. He was riding his ST1100 back from the West Coast (to the Boston area), and while taking a highway off-ramp at about 50mph hit a patch of oil and ended up in the guard rail. This is a guy who routinely rides coast-to-coast and teaches safety. He was wearing an Aerostich Roadcrafter one peice suit and full faced helmet that literally saved his life. Riding on the street to produce an adrenaline rush at 17 is a really dangerous endeavor. And I seldom see a 17 year old sport bike rider wearing anything that approaches the protection of a 'Stitch.

That all being said, growing up is about making your own decisions and accepting the consequences. For a lot of us, including myself, one reason we ride is because of the inherit danger, which awakens the senses and make us feel alive. You may never convince anyone in your family that street riding is safe or necesary. You live in a time and place that is way more overly protective than when our (your parents) generation was growing up. How soon we forget... If you decide to ride, the consequences of your decision may pull you apart from you family and friends, but more likely it will bring you closer together.

Just my humble opinion.

John

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah what John said. If you plan to get the bike for racing purposes at 17 thats a bit of a red flag. On the street there is often an urge to pass and floor it and carve hard into a turn because it's a lot of fun and all that power is always just a flick of the wrist away. If you want to race do it on the track, but doing that will make you want to do it on the street even more since your confidence is up... but that's not what you're asking here.

I would explain to them you will be taking MSF and wearing the right protective gear, that you are experienced, and bottom line that YOU WON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID WITH HER ON THE BACK!!! That's where most of their concern is coming from regardless of what they tell you...

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
What is the best way to explain to people who done understand me getting a bike, that I will be safe...:
You can't and probably shouldn't. Face it, driving a car is dangerous, driving a motorcycle is a considerable step up in risk.
One of the first things I was taught in the MSF course is motorcycle risk and taking responsibility. To me, this means even if I do everything correct, I could still be injured or worse. As an adult, whether I want to acknowledge this risk or not, it is soley my responsibility.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tend to explain it by separating the two primary risks involved with riding a motorcycle on the street: 1. Things you cannot control (other vehicles, peds, animals, sometimes conditions, etc) and 2. Things you can control (your own head, gear, bike maintenance, skill).

Regarding item 1, if you were to say to your gf that you were going to follow in Lance Armstrong's footsteps and get a road bicycle she would probably be happy for you. As several have pointed out already there are risks from uncontrollable elements all the time. And riding a road bicycle is way more dangerous regarding other vehicles/peds etc. Just walking in the city is pretty high up there too.

Regarding item 2, there are people I know that I would never advise to get a bike. NEVER. Not knowing you, of course we have no idea if you are one who has demonstrated restraint, respect, level-headedness, and good common sense. Coming to the board for a chat is a good sign though. Personally, I thought long and hard about my own character before making the purchase. I also made sure that a bike would not be purchased unless I was willing to shell out serious bucks for serious gear, and use it all the time, taking the MSF and practicing every time I hop on.

My .02. Good luck!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A. You're 17 have more sex to release that frustration..:D

B. They have no issues with a nice safe sport like motorcross (sarcasm), but are against street bikes.... Hmmmm... little ironic don't you think?...

C. You're a man now... time to do what's right for you....;) What does your gut tell you?

Good point on B Canadian, all the kids I know who race MX ALWAYS had a broken wrist, a broken collar bone, etc. I've always wanted to ride off road but as banged up as I get on my mountain bike I can't imagine what I would do to myself on a MX/Enduro bike.

I have this fantasy of racing across the desert in a big Husky at 100+ mph! Just like in the movie, "On any Sunday" in the Baja 1000 take.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was 17 I bought an old Yamaha TX500 street bike, I worn my helmet, gloves and a Levi's jean jacket with a big ass "Yamaha" patch in the back. I though I was Kenny Roberts.

My buddy and I, he has a TX500 too, were at the local Yamaha shop watch "On Any Sunday". We were riding home, I set up for a corner too fast, low sided and stuffed my TX500 under a 1970's Buick (think big F'ing rear bumper here). I cut myself up real good but I thought it was "cool". Young and dumb. When I got home my parents freaked out.

Point being, street bikes can hurt you, even it is it just a 600, the size of the engine doesn't matter, really.

You are going to do what you want, just be careful and remember that your family loves you and is concerned about you.

H

HavBlue

I doubt you'll convince them so why bother trying. People that don't ride rarely begin to understand why we ride in the first place. Best bet for me would be to ride and prove to them it is ok by riding smart and staying healthy (read as wear the right gear, promote safety first and keep from getting tickets or worse yet into an accident.) Actions often speak much louder than words.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding about 9 months, and continue to feel the risk is pretty darn high. I'm 37, with a wife and 4 and 6 year old. With that family situation, it's not all about me, but I also am starting to think that until you have that much depending on your safe riding, it's hard to have the perspective to be a safe rider. It's one thing to risk your own life by riding aggressively, another to risk your children's father's life.

I've also come to think of riding a motorcycle as a pleasurable way to get around, not an adrenaline rush. Before I got into motorcycling, I thought it might be exciting like skiing. The more I read on this board, log more miles, and study the topic, the more I've come to realize that (at least for my current modest skill level) the your safety margin is very very small when you are getting to the level of the ride being exciting.

These two comments are in response to your statement of this being a replacement for the rush of motocross. I don't think you should consider street riding a replacement for that. Get into something safe like bungy jumping! I actually find mountain biking and road biking much easier to get an adrenaline rush from without feeling like my life is at risk.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have only been riding for a year or so by now. I wanted to start out right and took a course on riding called Riders Edge offered by Harley Davidson. I joked that I was the odd one because I had a Yamaha but they didn't seem to care.

I wasn't afraid of the bike, but I was amazed at what I learned from the course, and my confidence level increased in my ability to react to different situations on the road. I grew up with mini bikes, and was never allowed to have a real dirt bike because they were "dangerous". I think the one thing that helped me convince my family this wasn't such a bad idea was the fact that I took the course. Now my brothers are talking about wanting a bike too (price of gas) and my Mom said something about they needed to take the course first.

Nothing can prepare you for the unexpected, but knowing what to do in certain situations can help you survive.

Another point that I come into with people who know the 'horror stories' is that there are one of two things present, one is the driver was impaired (drugs, alcohol). If you can't walk when you've had a few, how do you think that will help your balance on a bike? The other is they were doing something stupid, or trying to show off. I admit that I am happy to keep both wheels on the ground and don't feel the need to do anything more. I've seen to many videos on YouTube of people falling off trying to do stunts on the road. If you feel the need keep it some place contained. When you lose it on the road, you just endangered everyone around you as well.

If you can convince them that you will be 'smart' with your bike and maybe take a riding course (even if you feel your an expert off road) it may help your case.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok. I’m 17 years old and have spent most of my life racing motocross and riding dirt bikes, as ive grown up I have found no time to ride, train or race. I have excepted that and understand its all part of growing up, even if I could ride I cant take the chance of getting hurt coming up on college in august.

I need something to substitute the excitement of motocross, any one here who has raced can agree with me that that is a feeling that is almost impossible to replicate. Without it I have no way to release all of my frustrations and stresses related to life. So long story shortened a bit, I want a road bike, at this point I plan on buying a FZ6 at the end of the upcoming winter.

My girlfriend of 3 years and her family has voiced a strong opposition to me getting a bike. Her father is a automotive painter who has painted the bikes of many people who have died riding and had many friends who have died riding. Her mother is a caring person who is a tad bit over protective and my girlfriend herself has never done anything close to racing and doesn’t understand the rush that I no longer get.

i just reolized i probly posted this in the wrong section so any moderaters that want to move this feel free.

Now that I have explained my situation I finish with my question. What is the best way to explain to people who done understand me getting a bike, that I will be safe and that this is something I need? Thank you for taking the time to read this and any suggestions will help.:popcorn:

my father is ok with me getting a bike. his brother was injured in a bad motorcycle accident but my father has excepted the accident was my uncles fault not the drivers that hit him.
I feel for you mate,

First off advice is free and secondly you don't need to follow it.
Here is my opinion,
I think poorwboy is right about your girlfriends father. I am not sure how much road experience you have (clearly you are skilled in machine control). If it was me I would talk to the fella face to face and rationalise your decision. Key points to mention might be.
1. You will start on a smaller bike like the Ninja to get road safe.
2. You will take appropriate road training.
3. You will maintain your bike to ensure it is safe.
4. You will always wear protective gear.
5. if you girlfriend decides she wants to ride with you you will ride responsibly.

I had this problem when I was 17 and the bike I wanted to take my girlfriend on was only a 100cc lol.

You could also chat to HunterFZ6 as he has just had a good few months persuading his family about his decision to ride.
Good Luck

Nelly