Anti reflective Coating (naughty but nice in theory)

Who would use anti reflective coating

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys and gals,

I have seen loads of adverts in the press an on the internet depicting products that allegedly render the licence plate illegible by flash camera. Has any one used such a product or know of such a method (other than a liberal coating of cow S**t that actually works .:Sport:
If there were such a product that would work how many would use it?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know if this has made it "across the pond" yet, but we've got a neat tv show over here called mythbusters. They did an episode a few months back testing all of the different ways to beat speed cameras....the results were less than optimistic

MythBusters Episode 72: "Speed Cameras"
No Mate, I haven't seen the show. My thoughts were as much though. A Liberal smearing of bovine matter seems to be the best option.

Last edited:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
No Mate, I haven't seen the show.

That's too bad, it's really a great show. It's kind of like Top Gear except with explosives instead of cars. It's two middle aged guys who just go around trying to prove or disprove urban legends/myths usually by blowing something up.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Talking of Top Gear & speed cameras, a tip from the last series: The UK cameras have a small hole about dia. 10mm (3/8") in the back of them. Apparently, if you insert a builders foam gun into said hole & fill the thing up with foam, it eventually explodes as the foam continues to expand.

Alternatively, a layer of cling film over the camera lens allegedly prevents the camera from seeing your number plate or anyone else's.

It strikes me that this is a lot of hassle & lots of equipment to haul around to avoid getting a ticket. The obvious solution is to travel past the camera in excess of 176 mph, in which case the camera can't react fast enough to capture your image.

None of the above is recommended by the writer, any lawsuits will be strenuously defended blah blah blah

W

wrightme43

I think the hanging a tire around them, and setting it on fire is the best way ever.
Arent you guys due a revolution, and a dragging out in the street of, certian elected, and unelected officials.
It worked ok over here, its getting close to time again though. 200 years is just to long.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the hanging a tire around them, and setting it on fire is the best way ever.
Arent you guys due a revolution, and a dragging out in the street of, certian elected, and unelected officials.
It worked ok over here, its getting close to time again though. 200 years is just to long.
I’m Sorry mate we could not possibly burn a tyre here as it would be awfully un eco friendly. I might see if I can rustle up a revolution though LOL. I think the penalty for tampering with the euipment is probably more severe than you would get for murdering a bus load of nuns.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know if this has made it "across the pond" yet, but we've got a neat tv show over here called mythbusters. They did an episode a few months back testing all of the different ways to beat speed cameras....the results were less than optimistic

MythBusters Episode 72: "Speed Cameras"
Hi mate, I will keep my eyes peeled for the series. On the link you sent one of the guys "Kiwi Mike" reckons 3M reflective tape worked a treat? Has any one heard of this? I would presume that this tape would also distort the plate at night and increase the risk of being pulled over?

W

wrightme43

I’m Sorry mate we could not possibly burn a tyre here as it would be awfully un eco friendly. I might see if I can rustle up a revolution though LOL. I think the penalty for tampering with the euipment is probably more severe than you would get for murdering a bus load of nuns.

What if you dress up as a nun, and then destroy them? Would that help any?

Burning Gatso

Here is a nice instructional photo set on how to deal with them.

Here are some more great shots, I am particulary fond of the cheese.
Destroyed Speed cameras

Last edited by a moderator:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What if you dress up as a nun, and then destroy them? Would that help any?

Burning Gatso

Here is a nice instructional photo set on how to deal with them.

Here are some more great shots, I am particulary fond of the cheese.
Destroyed Speed cameras
The cheese does it for me to. Incidentally a legal person advised me rightly or wrongly that I should buy several lids and jackets. Insure myself on mates bikes and vice a versa then you could argue that you did not know who was actually riding that bike in that lid at that time ect. In the US you have the option of not incrimminating yoursel dont you? Here your guilty until proven otherwise.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
In the US you have the option of not incrimminating yoursel dont you? Here your guilty until proven otherwise.

Did you see the article in MCN a week or two ago. A couple of guys took two separate motorcylce speed camera convictions to the European Court of Civil Rights. The court ruled that they had no right to silence & the convictions were upheld. What! You can be serial killer, rapist whatever & your civil rights are protected. But pass a speed camera at 4mph over the limit on a bike & your rights are screwed!

I'll climb down off the soap box now, rant over :O)

W

wrightme43

Its getting like that here. Luckly there are so many of us that are armed that its going to take longer for the nanny state to take over. They are trying as hard as they can. Mr. Jefferson did get a just enough in to keep the government at bay for what 1920 years? We have had 87 or so of it getting more and more powerful, and more and more intrusive.
The terrible thing is that there is even a concept of juvinile delinquient. Either you are a juvinile and can be punished and trained by your parents, or you are a delinquient and can be punished by the state. 14-17 year olds raping and murdering? Its too late for a swat on the hand and a expunged record at 18. I want to write more but I will probley come back and erase this as well.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
The terrible thing is that there is even a concept of juvinile delinquient. Either you are a juvinile and can be punished and trained by your parents, or you are a delinquient and can be punished by the state.

Part of the problem we have here, is that our 'Politically Correct' society is now on to it's second generation. So, the parents of the juveniles have no concept of discipline or the consequences of anti-social behaviour, and as such they don't teach their kids decent values.

My apologies! This forum should be about bikes, good times & camraderie. They say in a Pub, you should never discuss Sex, Politics or Religion - don't leave much does it :iconbeer:

B

Bo67

We don't have any cameras where I live. Do they take a pic of the front, back or both?

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Talking of Top Gear & speed cameras, a tip from the last series: The UK cameras have a small hole about dia. 10mm (3/8") in the back of them. Apparently, if you insert a builders foam gun into said hole & fill the thing up with foam, it eventually explodes as the foam continues to expand.

Alternatively, a layer of cling film over the camera lens allegedly prevents the camera from seeing your number plate or anyone else's.

It strikes me that this is a lot of hassle & lots of equipment to haul around to avoid getting a ticket. The obvious solution is to travel past the camera in excess of 176 mph, in which case the camera can't react fast enough to capture your image.

None of the above is recommended by the writer, any lawsuits will be strenuously defended blah blah blah

The obvious solution is to travel past the camera in excess of 176 mph, in which case the camera can't react fast enough to capture your image. If were talking about the fz6, I think the top speed is only 150 ish mph, so no way to beat the camera.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They want to make them even more fun now. So the faster you get caught at the more points you get and the bigger fine that goes with it.

The reason behind speed cameras is of course flawed. The number of people dying on our roads is essentially the same as it was five years ago despite the massive increase in cameras.

Most accidents happen because people make mistakes, fail to look, miss-judge the gap etc.

IMHO If the money spent on cameras was spent teaching kids how to cross the roads/better crossings/traffic calming, then I think we'd see an fall in those most tragic of accidents.