changin' tires woo hoo (pics)

S

sportrider

finally going back to the Michellin Pilot Powers!!!! thanks to Steve for the bead breaker link!!!! life is good!!! I fabricated a bead breaker with a few mods. my garage is finished so I didn't want to anchor the breaker to the wall, so I made mine portable, it works like a charm.

W

wrightme43

Hell YEAH Danny that is a huge improvement. Great idea. Its going in the how to as a sticky.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
How did you support your bike while the wheels were off?

Nifty work by the way on the portable bead breaker. A guy at work mentioned that using a C-clamp will work, I"m assuming it has to be a pretty heavy duty clamp to generate enough pressure without stripping the threads, but it's an interesting idea.

Oh, and thanks for the pics. Photos make everything easier to understand.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site

Nifty work by the way on the portable bead breaker. A guy at work mentioned that using a C-clamp will work, I"m assuming it has to be a pretty heavy duty clamp to generate enough pressure without stripping the threads, but it's an interesting idea.

Theres a jack on the driver side of the bike.:thumbup:

S

sportrider

Got to be said, I'd pay the extra & get the supplier to fit the tyre. Yeah I know, you need to be confident it's been done right.

This made me smile ;O)

Oil Change instructions for Women:

And for God's sake Danny, lose the flip flops when you're in the workshop!
mounting and balancing the tires myself saved me $90.00, changing three sets yourself is like getting a fourth set free!!!

oh and speaking of the flip flops, thats a California thing you wouldn't understand. (lol)
:Sport:

S

sportrider

the bike is really supported by the center stand, I have a bike lift but with the exhaust system ran the way it is use the center stand and a floor jack, the floor jack is just balancing the bike. I put just enough pressure on the exhaust to lift the tire high enough to clear the fender.

I've tried the c-clamp method with no luck, I have a 10" c-clamp all it wanted to do was slip off the tire or dig into the rim. I used to use a scissor jack, placing the base of the jack on the sidewall and crank the jack up until the bead pops, but that is kinda hard also, the rear is easy but on the front the jack wants to slide off, that bead breaker is absolutely awesome it took almost no effort to break the beads.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
When your balanced you tires, did you have to add some weights or did you just set the balancing dot to the valve stem and say"That's good enough"? If you did add weights, what kind did you use( Stick-on, clamp on) and where did you get them? I'm going to be changing mine in about another 1000 miles so I like to know.

Thanks, Rog

S

sportrider

after spinning the tire a few times it was less then 1/4 ounce out.( when i tried a 1/4oz weight it became the heavy end) I poped the bead and rotated the tire on the rim. I spun it another 5 or 6 times and it never stopped in the same place twice. I got my weights at a car tire shop I just asked a tire guy if I could have a few strips of sticker weights and he gave them to me.

W

wrightme43

I do one tire at a time.
I use a ratchet strap to tie the centerstand to the front wheel, remove and change and balance the rear wheel then reinstall. Remove strap.
Then put bags of aquarium salt on the back seat till the front comes up and change it.

Oh and I can assure you I care a whole whole whole lot more about my bike than the guys at the dealer. They just want a paycheck, and to go home. I want to make absolutely certain my ride is tip top tits.

Last edited by a moderator:

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
after spinning the tire a few times it was less then 1/4 ounce out.( when i tried a 1/4oz weight it became the heavy end) I poped the bead and rotated the tire on the rim. I spun it another 5 or 6 times and it never stopped in the same place twice. I got my weights at a car tire shop I just asked a tire guy if I could have a few strips of sticker weights and he gave them to me.

Thanks Mr.Danny, sounds like a plan.:thumbup:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
mounting and balancing the tires myself saved me $90.00, changing three sets yourself is like getting a fourth set free!!!

oh and speaking of the flip flops, thats a California thing you wouldn't understand. (lol)

Yeah, it's the same sort of money here £20 / £25 a wheel. I just have mental images of me screwing up the rims & ending up with a bill for a grand for new wheels & then still having to pay someone 50 quid to fit the bleedin' tyres anyway!

I guess it's a confidence thing too. I'm an Engineer by trade, so I'm not incompetent in a workshop. I used to change tyres & tubes (Tubes! that tells you how long ago it was) on the little bikes I learnt to ride on. Typically they had small spoked wheels with steel rims & as I had been changing bicycle tyres for ever, it was just a natural progression.

I like the bead breaker though. It's a masterpiece of design, simple, functional & adaptable.

It is difficult to grasp the California mindset, sat here in the UK, pissing down with rain for the 3rd straight day, it's supposed to be bloody summer. Bah Humbug!

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah, it's the same sort of money here £20 / £25 a wheel. I just have mental images of me screwing up the rims & ending up with a bill for a grand for new wheels & then still having to pay someone 50 quid to fit the bleedin' tyres anyway!

I guess it's a confidence thing too. I'm an Engineer by trade, so I'm not incompetent in a workshop. I used to change tyres & tubes (Tubes! that tells you how long ago it was) on the little bikes I learnt to ride on. Typically they had small spoked wheels with steel rims & as I had been changing bicycle tyres for ever, it was just a natural progression.

I like the bead breaker though. It's a masterpiece of design, simple, functional & adaptable.

It is difficult to grasp the California mindset, sat here in the UK, pissing down with rain for the 3rd straight day, it's supposed to be bloody summer. Bah Humbug!

W

wrightme43

Real American Heros change thier own tires.

Update.
DYNABEADS SUCK THE DRIPPY SWEAT FROM THE UNDERSIDE OF ORANGATANG TESTES.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a really clever way to rim your tires!

I once worked with an old man to change his car tires and he used a giant sledgehammer to whack everything together. It was awesome. He took them off with a crowbar in the beginning.

He used a NEWTON meter to rotate the tires while balancing them. Talk about a savage scientist!

Did I ever tell you about the time when the Iridium Terrorist fixed his nail-poked R6 qualifier tires with super-glue?