4000 mile check-up

tag1963

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me ask you guys something. To save alittle money I decided to do my 600mile break-in maintenance myself. Now that I'm coming up on 4000 miles, should I take my bike in for it 4000 mile check-up? What would you guys do?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me ask you guys something. To save alittle money I decided to do my 600mile break-in maintenance myself. Now that I'm coming up on 4000 miles, should I take my bike in for it 4000 mile check-up? What would you guys do?

I am also at the 4k mark and just went through and tightened some bolts, keep doing it yourself and keep the manual handy, if you hit al;l the checkpoints then you should be golden

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the other end of the spectrum. I spent $162 to have somebody who (presumably) actually KNOWS something about motorcylce mechanics (unlike me) take a good close look at the bike. I could have changed the oil OK, but I was not confident enough in knowing what else to look for - even after reading the manual. When I got the bike back, the chain had clearly been re-tensioned, something I wouldn't have known was off or how to fix, and there were some inspection notes. I consider it part of my annual insurance.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did the 8,000 over the past week, everything went fine except for getting the spark plugs out, I haven't figured out how to get my hand in there yet. :(

OkieDavid

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did my 4k service myself yesterday then took it on a 220mi "road test" afterwards (got to make sure you didn't miss anything LOL). No problems, just follow the manual and keep all the wrenches/sockets handy....Even though it may not be included in the manual, check tightness on EVERYTHING you can see and get to.

B

Bo67

Hey Botch,

Funny enough, I just changed my plugs yesterday. The manual was a great source of info (remove the bottom bracket bolt and the bolt below the resevoir) but I was having some problems getting my hands in there too so I removed the radiator hoses as well. This let the radiator swing up farther and gave me some good room to work.
One thing that worked better for removing the plugs was to use the tool kit spark plug wrench along with a 14mm box end wrench. It gave me better leverage.

The biggest issue was getting plug #4 out. #'s 1,2 and 3 were easy but the only way i could get #4 out was not removing it from the side but pulling it straight out (above the radiator).

All in all it was about a 30 minute job and as I had already drained the coolant, I flushed the system with water then refilled it with fresh distilled water/anti-freeze mix.

-Bo

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the other end of the spectrum. I spent $162 to have somebody who (presumably) actually KNOWS something about motorcylce mechanics (unlike me) take a good close look at the bike. I could have changed the oil OK, but I was not confident enough in knowing what else to look for - even after reading the manual. When I got the bike back, the chain had clearly been re-tensioned, something I wouldn't have known was off or how to fix, and there were some inspection notes. I consider it part of my annual insurance.
I agree, i coughed up the ca$h for my 4000mile service. Just for the Peace of mind and the ease of it all, drop it off pick it up and its alll done and ready to ride...I know i'm a lazy a$$ :p

B

bluenova

If you think you might want to sell the bike one day, get the service done in a garage so they can stamp the service book.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 - This is the only reason I go to the dealer.

I have no problems selling bikes that have never seen a dealer... I do all the basic work myself... I only go to a dealer when something breaks or something that is beyond my mechanical skill, like a tire change. I could do that as well, if I had a machine to do it...

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site
just last week i took mine in for its 4000 mile service. when i called ahead to schedule it, i was told the service was "about 320 (us) dollars" i decided on the service because i know they adjust the throttle bodies, and that is something i cannot do on my own.

when i got the bike there, i decided to save a little money, and have a little fun, by telling them i didnt need an oil change. they were not too happy about that, losing revenue that way, and grilled me on the type of oil i used, filter spec, etc.

the total amount paid? 170 (us) clams!

Trommel

Reaction score
Visit site
just last week i took mine in for its 4000 mile service. when i called ahead to schedule it, i was told the service was "about 320 (us) dollars" i decided on the service because i know they adjust the throttle bodies, and that is something i cannot do on my own.

when i got the bike there, i decided to save a little money, and have a little fun, by telling them i didnt need an oil change. they were not too happy about that, losing revenue that way, and grilled me on the type of oil i used, filter spec, etc.

Do they normally charge $150 for an oil change!? i just changed mine myself recently and 3 quarts of amsoil and a k&n filter cost me about $50-60. That was even buying the materials at the dealer.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That's amazing! I'll have to remember that!! Thank you!

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I just hit 4000 miles. I don't want to spend more than $150 to take it to a dealer. I know next to nothing about mechanics but I have a friend who can help me change the oil and filter. What should I buy and what tools would I need?

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
The UK works in miles & miles/hour even tho they are metric for everything else. Go figure. Maybe it's different for the Euro models?

Yep UK bikes 6000 mile service which suits me, I plan on doing an oil change myself at 3000 then let dealer do standard service at 6000 (until warranty is up)