Icon ALLIANCE SSR

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone use the Icon Alliance SSR helmet? I stopped at my local Yamaha dealer the other day to look at helmets. I had intended on looking at the HJC CL-15 due to the good reviews I'd heard about it and price when a salesman pointed me to the Alliance for $.05 more ($140, newenough has it it for $113). Seems like a steal to me, just wondering if anyones ridden with it. The sailsman told me he thinks it's just as nice as well as quieter than their more expensive Airframe helmets
Icon Alliance SSR Solid Motorcycle Helmet :: New Enough, LTD
Ride Icon

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't tried this helmet but if looks like a very good value for $113. Snell approved and spare parts available. Does the liner come out so you can wash it? If it fits your head well I'd say go for it. Fit and comfort is the most important part of a helmet. If it fits well it will protect you get in the event you need to use it. Let's hope that day never comes.

JPH

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you tried the HJC helmets yet? They do not fit the same as the ICON becuse they use a different head shape for their template. For Example...I can wear an ICON but not the HJC because HJC are too loose in the cheek and jaw. Try on diff helmet brands at retailers to find what fits well. Then when you have narrowed it down you can check the online reviews for quality/weight/noise. But FIT is the #1 issue to start with. IMHO

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't tried this helmet but if looks like a very good value for $113. Snell approved and spare parts available. Does the liner come out so you can wash it? If it fits your head well I'd say go for it. Fit and comfort is the most important part of a helmet. If it fits well it will protect you get in the event you need to use it. Let's hope that day never comes.

I didn't actually check for that but the salesman did say they are removable and washable, which is a plus since the pad material is spose to whick away sweat and moisture so i'm sure they'd need a cleaning once in a while.

keep us in the loop if you get it, i am starting to get in the market for a new helmet...

Will do.

Have you tried the HJC helmets yet? They do not fit the same as the ICON becuse they use a different head shape for their template. For Example...I can wear an ICON but not the HJC because HJC are too loose in the cheek and jaw. Try on diff helmet brands at retailers to find what fits well. Then when you have narrowed it down you can check the online reviews for quality/weight/noise. But FIT is the #1 issue to start with. IMHO

I tried on both the Alliance and the CL-15 back to back. I agree that HJCs fit a bit looser in the cheek area. The Icon definitely seemed to fit a bit snugger, but not uncomfortable, like it would stay in place better in the event of a fall.

I think I may go for it. I've been wearing my snowmobile helmet so far and although it's nice and comfy (Yamaha Snowforce modular) it's just too damn warm now.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I picked up the helmet yesterday. I had a coupon for my dealer so I went a head and got it from them. It was hot and I was outside working yesterday and didn't feel like gearing up so I only took a short ride around the block with it. I'll report back tonight after I've got some riding in. So far it seems pretty nice, and a hell of a deal for a DOT and SNELL approved Icon.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after riding with the helmet for about a week now, I can say I highly recommend it! It fits great. Goes on a little tight but once on the fit is perfect. It's tight enough to stay stable on your head while still being very comfortable. It's quite quiet, very little wind noise. I get very little buffeting doing 80 on the highway with the helmet and my Puig racing screen. Also the vents keep you nice and cool and the faceshield has many positions so you can crack it open however much you like.

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after riding with the helmet for about a week now, I can say I highly recommend it! It fits great. Goes on a little tight but once on the fit is perfect. It's tight enough to stay stable on your head while still being very comfortable. It's quite quiet, very little wind noise. I get very little buffeting doing 80 on the highway with the helmet and my Puig racing screen. Also the vents keep you nice and cool and the faceshield has many positions so you can crack it open however much you like.

Yes, I can say that it is a decent helmet for the price (Black Speed Freak SSR). I used it for the last 2 months myself and it is OK. I can not say excellent cause it is on the heavy side of the helmets if you ask me. Now, thinking back, I should have maybe got a HJC carbon fiber for like $100 more but I still do not regret getting this one.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I can say that it is a decent helmet for the price (Black Speed Freak SSR). I used it for the last 2 months myself and it is OK. I can not say excellent cause it is on the heavy side of the helmets if you ask me. Now, thinking back, I should have maybe got a HJC carbon fiber for like $100 more but I still do not regret getting this one.
I'm still using mine and still like it. I don't really notice the weight since I wear a heavy snowmobile helmet in the winter. I guess I keep those neck muscles exercised all year long. I'm thinking of looking for a modular next summer. I really love the convenience of being able to flip up the front for a lot of things that otherwise require taking the helmet off (which requires removal of gloves and sunglasses first).

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still using mine and still like it. I don't really notice the weight since I wear a heavy snowmobile helmet in the winter. I guess I keep those neck muscles exercised all year long. I'm thinking of looking for a modular next summer. I really love the convenience of being able to flip up the front for a lot of things that otherwise require taking the helmet off (which requires removal of gloves and sunglasses first).

yep... I could just never trust modular helmets... they are safe, I know, but it is an extra week point all that mechanism... Me too I got those muscles worked out with this helmet it looks like as my friend just bought "another" ZOX and man that thing is lighter compared to the ICON. I took it for a ride and man o man... was I feeling a difference.

iRoNyX

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone use the Icon Alliance SSR helmet? I stopped at my local Yamaha dealer the other day to look at helmets. I had intended on looking at the HJC CL-15 due to the good reviews I'd heard about it and price when a salesman pointed me to the Alliance for $.05 more ($140, newenough has it it for $113). Seems like a steal to me, just wondering if anyones ridden with it. The sailsman told me he thinks it's just as nice as well as quieter than their more expensive Airframe helmets
Icon Alliance SSR Solid Motorcycle Helmet :: New Enough, LTD
Ride Icon

I have owned an Alliance SSR Battlecry for almost a year now... Incredible helmet... A bit heavier than others but I don't care and it's never been a concern. Shield rarely fogs up, interior is comfortable and easy to clean... Basically my helmet is NEVER an issue when riding, and never on my mind.

Only thing I'd complain about is how bloody hard it is to clean all of the bugs out of the vents and grooves... :spank: