Terry Adcox Seat - Terry's Custom Seats, with stock, Corbin, Shad comparison pictures

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
So this past winter I purchased a custom seat from Terry Adcox of terryscustomseats.com. He builds custom “bucket” seats from the stock seat pants. His seats have very positive reviews on other forums. He does both single bucket (rider only) and double bucket (rider and passenger).

To preface this, I’ve tried stock, two different Corbins, and a Shad Comfort seat. The main issue for me is that I tend to sit pretty close to the tank, unconsciously trying to make the riding position more upright. This results in me sitting in the narrow front portion of the seat, so the Shad and the Corbins didn’t make much difference (for me) compared to stock. With all of them, after an hour and a half or so, my butt was hurting.

When I contacted Terry (and his wife Debi), he said that he could build the “bucket” in my desired position. He requested a picture of the bike, as well as pictures of me and my passenger sitting on the bike, along with height/weight info for both. He also asked that I place a piece of tape on the stock seat where the back of my butt contacts the seats so he would know where to build the “bucket”. The back of the rider's bucket would be maybe 2 inches forward of the existing rider's backstop area.

He was really busy over the winter, they gave me an estimated build date, and told me they’d contact me when they were ready for my stock seat. A month or two later, I got an email letting me know they were ahead of schedule, so I mailed out my stock seat. You also get to choose your vinyl pattern/colors, stitch design, stitching color, etc. I ordered the basic “perforated look” vinyl in the “no stitch” pattern.

Here’s the pictures he requested.

27991090235_845107dc72_c.jpg

27888793742_26c345d0d3_c.jpg

27377749864_912e3955ac_c.jpg

27888812142_38cb485a51_c.jpg

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
After I got it, I did a couple short rides, but this past week I did a trip up to Maine on a Wednesday, came back on Saturday. Each day was about 250-275 miles, about 7-8 hours of riding each day. I also added taller risers right before this trip, to improve the upright seating position. My butt got a tiny bit sore, but not nearly as bad as the stock (or Corbin or Shad seats) for me. I only stopped for water/gas/pictures – I never had the “god I gotta take a break and get off this seat” feeling as I have had with the others. At the end of the day, I was glad to get off the bike, but I could’ve kept going. In the twisties, I actually liked the wider seat, if you’re “weighting the inside butt cheek” as my track day org teaches, it gives you a more “connected” feeling as there’s something to press against. If you’re going one step further and shifting your butt in the seat, there’s more support. If I had to nitpick a little, I wish the rider backstop was a little concave, to add to the “bucket” feel, it’s pretty much flat straight across. And on one of my shorter rides after I first got it, I thought I could feel the stitching seams right on my “sit bones”, but I didn’t notice them at all on my Maine trip.

It definitely doesn't look as sleek and streamlined like the stock one, but I'm not one to care for looks, only function. And I can't see it while riding anyways. I was going back and forth on whether to sell the bike and get something more comfortable, but I figured I'd try this as a last resort - a new custom seat would be cheaper than tax and registration on a new bike anyways.

Pics of the seat as delivered and on the bike

27711254750_eb474bbc52_c.jpg

27956592996_0360a09df2_c.jpg

27913283571_940f650fc6_c.jpg

27224230014_6521aa24ec_c.jpg

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the comparison, Matt. Unless I missed it, what was the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
His usual pricing for a one-piece rider/passenger combo "banana seat" like the FZ6:
A "double bucket" (rider and passengers both modified) the cost is $375+$25 shipping.
A "single bucket" with only the rider's area modified and the passengers portion recovered to match, would be $250+$25 shipping.

I know he has offered some group buys on other forums in the past, in the range of $25-$75 off, depending on the number of orders. So if there was significant interest, that may be an option to propose to him.

JA600L

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the seat, but doesn't the further front riding position cramp your legs up more? I sit the whole way back in my stock seat and I still feel like my legs are cramped. I have modified my handlebars extensively so that I am the whole way back in the seat.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't feel cramped, but I've got short legs (29-30" inseam) and I come from sportier bikes. When sitting back in the seat I feel too much of a stretch to the bars and the pegs. The first post shows my leg position. It works for me, finally.

Like I mentioned, he builds the seats out of the stock pan, and builds them to your specifications, raise it, lower it, forward, backward, etc.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Little update. We got a warm day a couple weeks ago and did my first 2-up ride, wasn't anything crazy, just about an hour ride to brunch and then back. Usually that's about how long it takes for my wife to start getting uncomfortable. Got home, parked the bike, asked her how her butt felt on the new seat, and she said "fine, no problem" - doesn't seem like much praise, but she wasn't kicking me to get off, so it was a definite improvement.