Reconditioning Air-Filters

motoholic

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know if it's a good idea or even possible to recondition your air filter? Should I just blow it off with an air nozzle or what? Just looking for an economical way to keep my bike running well.

Thanks!

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
This is something that I have been wondering about myself here lately. I would do an old filter but I always throw it away because I hate clutter. I am going to give it a try next filter change and see what happens. They say not to do it, but I'm sure that's so you will continue to buy new ones.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
They say not to do this because you can cause damage to the filter itself that you may not notice with the naked eye. The pores on the filter are quite small and compressed air can stretch these out without you knowing it. Filters are not that expensive, so just get a new one each time. The monatary savings on re-using filters is not worth the risk of engine damage.:thumbup:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you want to reuse a filter then buy the K&N, after say 2-3 years it has payed for itself unless you live in a very dusty area then it may pay for itself faster, you buy that and the recharge kit. it is really easy to clean you spray on the cleaner let it sit 10mins then rinse in the sink then let it dry then spray on their red oil, basically the filter is gray when cleaned and red when oiled. very simple just a little time consuming as far as waiting for it to dry, you should never use compressed air on a paper filter! foam not a big deal but you still shouldnt

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I won't get in to the stock/K&N debate but I lightly brush and vacuum the upstream side of my stock filter every six months or so, removing the heavy crap and extending the life to some degree. When my filter gets to the point that I can't see sunlight through the element I replace it.

37000 miles, I'm on air filter #3.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Timely thread, I'm just about to clean my K&N filter for the first time (previous owner installed it). I'll need to look up the cost of a paper vs. the K&N, buying the K&N cleaner and oil set me back over $20!
I keep telling myself that the K&N breathes better, and performance is always worth it! :Sport:

Reaction score
Visit site
One fo the primary reasons for using the K&N filters is that you can reuse them after cleaning them. It doesn't take much longer than changing them and you have the $$$$$ in your tank instead!