VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OMG! I rode thru an area today that is prone to experiencing very high winds and gust, semi's aka Lorry's are commonly toppled over. Flashing yellow lights, warning all trucks to stop and they were all pulled over. Hmmm, nothing about motorcycles so I proceeded down to Carson City, about a 30 mile ride from Reno through the treacherous Washoe Valley. Couldn't turn around so I dropped down a gear and kept my speed around 80mph, faster you go, the better off you are. I said to myself, If I get a cop trying to pull me over for speeding, I'm not stopping as I would surely be toppled over if I slowed down. My arms are still sore from pressing down on the handlebars so much. Whenever a gust of wind came by I had to roll on the throttle, press and lean. I must have given everyone who was behind me a great show. I was heading over to Santa Clara Ca this afternoon/evening. I couldn't take the Interstate since the northern route was experiencing heavy snow through the pass, so I elected to go through Lake Tahoe. Relatively dry through the pass, but tons of snow on the sides of the highway. Long story short, I made it!

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
As soon as you said Carson City I thought you were going to say you were overtaken by a transport plane full of convicts towing a classic corvette!?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Windy riding is always an emotional experience. My most recent was going across to the bike show in Birmingham, and like you say it was gusting 70mph that day.

The way there was hard work, almost directly in to it. With my head on the tank, shoulders and arms screaming from three hours of clinging on for dear life.

The way back was good though, exhaust sounded like a monster and I only used half a tank of petrol. The only problem is its harder to feel for gusts and changes of wind direction when it's coming from the back, so it caught me out a couple of times.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I like it when semi-trucks look like sail boats and I'm leaning what feels like 45deg! But then you go by something, a structure like that blocks the wind and suddenly you're in danger of crossing over to the other lane. Another time I was heading to an obvious front in Colorado with wind picking up so strong I could barely maintain control so I stopped. Mistake. It took all my strength to hold the bike up! I had to wait it out, got drenched. The sun never looked so good!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here the Gorge and winds from the east I've found that purposefully weaving within your lane can make this tolerable. Try it some time.

Flip side is in the canyon with the pegs burried in the gust screws your line up changing your entries & exits... Its crazy how little it takes to mess you up - including when it stops/lessons and that changes your line too.

Town is known for having one sided trees and gusts of 70+ mph...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, hiway 62 headed to Yucca Valley! This is where those wind farms are in Southern California. Lots of heavy crosswinds on 62! Montezuma Valley Rd is another fun place where you can get heavy winds. We stopped one time at the lookout on MVR and we could not get off the bikes because the wind would just blow them over!

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
OMG! I rode thru an area today that is prone to experiencing very high winds and gust, semi's aka Lorry's are commonly toppled over. Flashing yellow lights, warning all trucks to stop and they were all pulled over. Hmmm, nothing about motorcycles so I proceeded down to Carson City, about a 30 mile ride from Reno through the treacherous Washoe Valley. Couldn't turn around so I dropped down a gear and kept my speed around 80mph, faster you go, the better off you are. I said to myself, If I get a cop trying to pull me over for speeding, I'm not stopping as I would surely be toppled over if I slowed down. My arms are still sore from pressing down on the handlebars so much. Whenever a gust of wind came by I had to roll on the throttle, press and lean. I must have given everyone who was behind me a great show. I was heading over to Santa Clara Ca this afternoon/evening. I couldn't take the Interstate since the northern route was experiencing heavy snow through the pass, so I elected to go through Lake Tahoe. Relatively dry through the pass, but tons of snow on the sides of the highway. Long story short, I made it!

Next time you ride Washoe Valley take the west shore road to avoid most of the wind. Get off 395 at Mt Rose Highway and go East. Turn right onto S. Virginia St (turns into Old Highway 395) You will parallel the freeway and end up rejoining the freeway at the south end of Washoe Valley. A little bit longer but a good way to avoid the wind in the open valley. Coming back, taking the east shore road. It's scenic, but again a little bit longer. Have a safe ride!

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I think about it, last time Rich and I rode Washoe Valley in the wind, I was following Rich and marveling at how he could ride down the road at 45 degree angle and still keep going. Later I realized I must have been doing the same thing. lol

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
My GoldWing may be a big Hippo but it handles strong cross winds with ease. A few years ago I crossed southern Wyoming with monster winds all day, at 909 pounds it will keep you planted. The hardest part is when stopped in town, then you feel like you are holding up a big sail.

Spring is around the corner and my KTM wants to get out. We are going to have to meet up and have fun with the back roads on this side of the hill.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Spring is around the corner and my KTM wants to get out. We are going to have to meet up and have fun with the back roads on this side of the hill.

I attended a Northern California Motogymkhana session held at Santa Clara this weekend sponsored by KTM. I received a pair of leather KTM gloves for winning the long distance rider who attended. LOL...everyone was on dual sports and small CC bikes, but there was one Kawi Ninja 650. Couple of Hypermotards there. I had the big Multi plus the panniers. Knocked a few cones with them. Some mentioned that I should have taken them off but I wanted them on so that I am use to riding the bike the way it's set up. Finally got rid of my chicken strips.

20160220_154158_zpsphtp2w17.jpg

Donner Pass Summit and Lake.

20160221_140648_zps9q67bolp.jpg

20160221_141241_zpsjldolfxn.jpg

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Good day to Ride Kenny. I spent some of the day scrubbing a 1,800 miles of fun off the Hippo and bushtec trailer after our ride down 395 to Tehachapi and Death Valley last weekend. Rode back up 95 on Monday, Nevada is looking nice in it's winter mode with the Mountains covered in snow.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually enjoy riding in strong windy conditions, it makes an otherwise boring commute more interesting :) . I've riden through several storms, the only time I've actually been worried is once when it was raining so hard that the road was covered in water (like a large puddle over the whole road), I must admit I was getting worried about leaning angles and grip :-0.
I can choose 2 main roads for my commute and I always choose the road with the least obstacles around it. As especially trees create a lot of debris in a storm.

BTW Kenny why the heck didn't you enter one of those photo's for the BOTM ?????? well there's Always next time :thumbup:

Last edited:

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Takes a lot less than 70 mph gusts to make things exciting in a hurry if you're lane splitting when it starts.

Glad OP made it over the mountains okay.