Whining on Bike

drewskiFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a whine in my gear box, I think, that whines at speeds above 35mph. The whine goes higher in pitch the faster it rotates. I held the clutch in for a few seconds and the noise is still there.
The sound it makes is about the same as road noise the tires on a car make going over a grated bridge. The wheel in aligned properly, the axel nut is not too tight, the chain is straight, and the oil is at the correct level b/c I just changed it. Any ideas here or other people having the same issue?
:Sport:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
you say the chain is straight but do you have it too tight? it should have some slack in it.... and welcome to the forum!

drewskiFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The chain does have slack in it. I am lost as to what could cause the noise. My wife and I bought the bikes last year 06 and 04, hers Red mine Blue both FZ6's. I checked hers and there was no noise like the one mine is making.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
try to lift the rear tire w/the center stand, run the bike, does it still make the noise? and can you tell where it is coming from?

edit:what year, miles, mods, etc....

midnightfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
There has been quite a lot of talk on this issue. You are not the only one who has this noise. I certainly do. It is more apparent after adjusting your chain to the correct tension after being slightly slack. My dealer advised the chain being ever so slightly looser than the owners manual suggests. Unfortunately this makes the gearbox more clunky. I just put up with the noise. Earplugs help! It's one of the issues I would love to be rectified in the next model.
Edit: I had this on my previous 05 FZ6 and also my current 07 FZ6

Last edited:

drewskiFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
No Mods, 04, 7300mi - I put it on the center stand, ran it, and held in the clutch to find out where the noise was coming from a few days ago. It sounded like it was in the gearbox, or the back tire (rear wheel bearing) but then i had my friend listen while i stayed on the throttle and he said it was definately coming from the gearbox. The bike still shifts smooth both up and down, there is no jolt or shake, and everything else on the bike is great, but just that dang noise is driving me nuts not knowing what it is.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the FZ6 use square-cut gears? If so, that can cause the whine. Some bikes just have more than others. The Royal Star Venture has square-cut gears. Some of them whine like a banshee, others don't. My '99 Venture is a quiet one but I've heard some that will give you a headache after a few miles. Changing the clutch basket helps some but all it does is move the whine to a different rpm.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
If it runs and drives fine i would leave it alone. Not all bikes will be the same, some will make different noises than others, some will have clunky gearboxes. It all depends on what you choose to ignore. Until the thing started sputtering and jerking around like you were bull riding, i would not mess with it. Get some ear plugs like they suggested or get some slipons!...:thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the FZ6 use square-cut gears? If so, that can cause the whine. Some bikes just have more than others. The Royal Star Venture has square-cut gears. Some of them whine like a banshee, others don't. My '99 Venture is a quiet one but I've heard some that will give you a headache after a few miles. Changing the clutch basket helps some but all it does is move the whine to a different rpm.

Yes the FZ has straight/square cut gears.... that could be it... I guess im just used to it?

HowlFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Perfect timing! This post happened to pop up just as I picked up my bike after 8000 mile service. I think I am experiencing the same thing. I thought it was airbox noise (though not sure what would cause the airbox to howl)

On my ride home from the shop, I noticed a distinct howl coming from the bike and couldn't identify the cause. It starts at 58 mph and sticks around until roughly 65mph. It seems to be independent of gear selection, throttle position, and clutch engagement.

It's loud. Louder than the exhaust.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

As said, yes it does have square cut gears.

And to your point; over time as the gears wear together, they can get quieter! :thumbup:

IMO; with the clutch engaged (lever released), there should be Zero noise from the basket so this is not an issue.

Lastly, chain tension and lube make a huge difference in the noise. A clean well cared for chain helps! I had mine at the limit of the slack check on the center stand and it sags a fair amount but is less noisy:

07 Spec:
45.0–55.0 mm (1.77–2.17 in)