Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the story:
The French version:
http://www.motomag.com/Juillet-2015-fin-de-l-oreillette.html#.VYPW-0YqBTc
The English version:
France changes hands-free law

I must admit on one hand I think it's a good thing, especially as I've had several experiences of people just not paying attention and unaware of things around them (especially sounds), mainly cyclists (I recently had to do an emergency stop and swerve to avoid a cyclist with headphones, who cut across the road). On the other hand I use a blue tooth in ear ear phone matched with my GPS system on the motorbike, so this will mean that I will need in helmet speakers, which will have to compete with my noisey helmet :eek:
What do you think of this ruling?

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think when folk have the muzak running so loud they have no clue that someone is just outside their "living room" then they need to know that the legislation requires they start paying attention .
I have plugs in whenever i ride cutting noise- same as drowning it out4 with music??

Maybe similar but it is the general awareness of environment---- this needs close attention

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a stupid rule, I don't often listen to music while riding, but on long motorway trips i find it helps keep my concentration. Once I get to the twisties I won't have music on as depending on the tune I might go faster than I want to :D

I also sometimes have the satnav playing through headphones. I gave up with speakers in the helmet. It was ok even with earplugs in, but a hassle to make sure it was charged up.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the Sena SMH10R on my helmet.
SMH10R-and-transparent-helmet.jpg

I get days of use from just one charge unless I'm using it for continuous hours of constant intercom talking. That's the only time I've ever run out of battery and I carry an extra battery because they are so small and easy to swap.
I do wear ear plugs to keep my hearing from the white noise of the wind in my helmet. Unless I get to hear the full spectrum of music the way it was meant to be I don't really enjoy it so I don't listen to music on my comm. I can see how the ear phones would be great for listening to music.
I just got done watching one of those Youtube compilation vids of crashes and I have to say there is no rule or law to save us from people who have lower brain functionality than chimps and to tell the truth no rule with a fine will protect us when there's nobody home........ :eek:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have Sena's on the helmets too....the music is usually off while riding in towns, but other than that...I'm not sure I could ride (or drive) with out music :eek:

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
I own a Schuberth C3 and sometimes, mostly on longer trips, I use my Sennheiser in ear headphones, they reduce almost all the wind and "parasite" noises inside the helmet but I can hear other sounds like motor, horns etc. If I hear music is with very low volume because I can hear it clearly and I also want to hear the sounds around me. I already try to use noise canceling hear plugs but I think they are dangerous because they block to much, almoust all the sounds, and the one I wear are the ones canceling less noise I could find.
quies_mousse.jpg

I'm divided about that. It's like everything else, a matter of common sense. The headphones can be distracting for what we are listening or for what we cant hear with them.
On the other hand I also know that a couple of hours on the road with the wind blowing on the helmet is very distracting and tiring, and when I stop and remove the helmet my ears are buzzing like when I leave the disco.
+1 on Hearphones (as I used them)

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used BT in helmet, in ear headphones, ear plugs...never took away from hearing outside but of course I don't blast my tunes or my nav system. Silly that France would ban it but I guess it was suppose to target certain people but instead it hits everyone.

Ares

AdrianB1

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't ride often in France (I stop on the German side of the border and turn back :D), but I still consider the rule to be shooting too wide. I am using the Sena with the earplug base plate, so I hear in the earbuds the navigation and intercom - this is more important than any music and I need these inside towns when I am abroad. The Sena standard speakers don't go too well with my helmet and glasses, that's why I use this unusual setup and that's why I am affected by the rule.