Took a spill off the FZ6 today

pyroclastic

Reaction score
Visit site
Had my first spill off the FZ6 today. :(

Was making a left hand turn into my housing subdivision and some guy thought it would be good to see how fast a motorcycle could stop and pulled out in front of me. I think I grabbed the front brake a bit harder than I should have, however the bike came to a stop, but my body didn't. Went off the right side of the bike into the road. Luckily my jacket and pants cushioned my fall. I jumped up afraid of being run over, and the driver ran over saying sorry and that he didn't see me. Guy was so freaked out that he didn't even help me pick the bike up (harder to do than I thought, glad I had some adrenaline to help out). I wasn't sure what was going to be damaged so I pushed it to the side of the road to inspect it. To my surprise the foot peg on the right side prevented any damage to the back of the cycle and only the front fairing had a 3 inch scratch going towards the head light. I didn't realize that the mirror could be pushed in to keep them from breaking, but the right mirror just folded up and only had some minor scratches on the back side. When I picked the bike up it was only about 3 feet from the car so I guess I got lucky this time round. I was really shocked that the bike was not damaged more than it was. Looks like Yamaha did some research when dropping the bike from little or no forward motion. I did have to tighten the screw that holds on the right front turn signal, but other than that the bike is fine (with a few scratches). I consider my self lucky, but if anyone drops their bike and it doesn't hit anything on the way down, it should fair quite well considering.

:(

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad that you are okay, and glad to see that you were wearing protective gear. I guess the scratched items can always get replaced, like mirrors, blinkers, fairing. I guess you don't have any sliders? Just wondering if they would have helped. I don't have any sliders. Glad that you were also able to pick the bike up too. According to your thread, it appears that you would have been able to pick up a 1000 pound bike, yes I would have been steaming too. Damn four wheelers! I live in Vegas where it's been 110 degrees just about everyday and I wear a mesh jacket with armour and gloves, boots everytime I ride. However, just a pair of jeans down below.

Vegasrider

S

sportrider

glad your not hurt, sounds like the bike survived also. you scored some points from wearing the right gear!!!:thumbup:

pyroclastic

Reaction score
Visit site
Jackets, boots and pants work

Yep, I will have to say that the padding in my jacket saved the day. I felt the pads on my shoulder and elbow when I hit the ground. I have nothing more than a fabric burn on my right arm just above the elbow. :)

I have a few friends that say wearing the right gear will possibly save you and today I have to agree and would have sustained some road rash if I had not been wearing a jacket and pants. Now I just have to convince the rest of my friends to join the club.

Thanks for the support and God willing I will keep on riding!

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your ok, Iswear almost everytime I ride somebody makes a left in front of me. I'm gonna start carrying marbles in my pockets.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Was making a left hand turn into my housing subdivision and some guy thought it would be good to see how fast a motorcycle could stop and pulled out in front of me. I think I grabbed the front brake a bit harder than I should have, however the bike came to a stop, but my body didn't. Went off the right side of the bike into the road. Luckily my jacket and pants cushioned my fall. I jumped up afraid of being run over, and the driver ran over saying sorry and that he didn't see me. Guy was so freaked out that he didn't even help me pick the bike up (harder to do than I thought, glad I had some adrenaline to help out). I wasn't sure what was going to be damaged so I pushed it to the side of the road to inspect it. To my surprise the foot peg on the right side prevented any damage to the back of the cycle and only the front fairing had a 3 inch scratch going towards the head light. I didn't realize that the mirror could be pushed in to keep them from breaking, but the right mirror just folded up and only had some minor scratches on the back side. When I picked the bike up it was only about 3 feet from the car so I guess I got lucky this time round. I was really shocked that the bike was not damaged more than it was. Looks like Yamaha did some research when dropping the bike from little or no forward motion. I did have to tighten the screw that holds on the right front turn signal, but other than that the bike is fine (with a few scratches). I consider my self lucky, but if anyone drops their bike and it doesn't hit anything on the way down, it should fair quite well considering.

Nice to hear your fine, Is the cager (car driver) going to pay for the damage?

Last edited:

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear your O.K. If your testimonial on wearing gear dosen't make people think at least twice before going for a ride, I don't think anything will. If I were you I'd get the bike checked out before doing too much more riding just to be sure nothing hidden crops up and causes problems later.

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site

Looks like Yamaha did some research when dropping the bike from little or no forward motion. .

I dunno about that. Two weeks out, I dropped my bike on some gravel at walking speed and broke the left front turn signal. As it turned out, the only way to get it fixed was to buy an entire new front fairing.

Long story short, my bike now has new flush LED mounts.

Glad to hear that you are ok, tho. Gear is all important.