My first track day

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys, had my first track day at Carolina Motorsports Park, SC.
Around 19 people showed up and I learned that I suck in so many levels on track.
Luckily I didn't fall, but went out of the track around 4 times, (3 times being the same spot).
Started my day at 9 am, I was exhausted by 3pm, is where when I started going out of track.
I'm not confident on my bike that it'll take me through the corner. I'm too afraid to do a curve which is on my right-hand side.
I observed one more thing, the height of the bike and weight of my personality aren't matching (5.8, 151lbs):
Here is what I'm talking about, I sit near the tank, leaving a lot of space/less weight on the back, and when I do a curve or turn, I apply the rear brake (sometimes) and I see the bike drifts and swerves on its own, no grip.
Anyway, please enlighten me on this technique/issue/problem. Do I need to decrease the height of the bike?

And on the track, I had my brand new (250 miles, before going to the track actually) PR4 rear tire, didn't give me enough confidence. I know it is a street tire, for mileage and comfort, so I cannot argue.

Here are links for videos:
1. Other people who attended for the track-day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyB0OYdYJLA
2. Turn 13, where I went out in the same spot, 3 times in a row ( in the last few seconds I went out of the track).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYNYX_HHMyA
3. Turn 13, went out of the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO6SYgxfScI
4. One successful lap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AQLItPlk2M

Right side leaning confidence problem for turn 4

Pictures of my tire after a single day..!

Last edited:

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
takes some getting used to, Keeping it up in the revs that is, only place we get the pull.

I like to have the bike at 8k going into a turn i know i want to shoot out of.

seems like your chilling in 5th or 6th gear from the video. That's why you have no power.

Please watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWLIfChUwg really helped me, I just started riding a few months ago and I lose my friend on a 848 whose been riding for 3 years when we hit the mountains

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple things:
That tire has more than enough grip for your level of riding on the track. Track tire pressures should be lower than street tire pressures - drop the pressures to 30/30 for the track. This will help your grip and confidence in turns. The bike is more than up to the task as it is, you shouldn't need to lower it or anything. Remember to stay loose on the bars - no death grip, and you should be able to flap your elbows (chicken wings).

You shouldn't really ever have to use the rear brake on the track - Rely on the front brake. "Ease, then squeeze" is how my track day instructors teach. Ease (lightly) begin braking to settle the suspension, then squeeze to slow down. And honestly, I hardly use the brakes at all at track days. Focus less on going fast in the straights, and more on trying to be smooth and set yourself up well for the corners. I find myself primarily sticking in 3rd gear, less worrying about shifting and hard braking, and more on being smooth and proper body position. Speed (in terms of lower lap times) will naturally come as you become more smooth through the corners.

And your lines look way off. Did they have instructors and follow-the-leader sessions? Maybe I'm spoiled by my local track day organization, but if you ask, they're willing to work with you all day to help improve your lines, body position, and riding all together.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone will experience riding at different entry levels. The fact is that you went and did a track day. From this you have added very valuable skill and experience to your riding.

I think the most important part of your track day was the following!
56793d1433043675-my-first-track-day-img_6835-jpg

Last edited:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Good stuff! Just keep with it and maybe watch some of the Keith code stuff!

I just had my bike out at the track for the second time last weekend. I'm in the same boat, having a lot to learn, but it's so much fun!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
hey Matt, thanks for your support.
Yes, I changed tire pressure to 30/31.
I asked my instructor in the afternoon, but I couldn't keep up with him after half lap and he left me. One other instructor from advanced group, Wilson id do good. When I'm following him, I feel confident and could follow him for a complete lap. but you know, other people paid money too, so..!
Yes, I remember my lined are way off, its just I'm scared to get straight at the other corner. But yesterday's track day bought some of my lost confidence.

Couple things:
That tire has more than enough grip for your level of riding on the track. Track tire pressures should be lower than street tire pressures - drop the pressures to 30/30 for the track. This will help your grip and confidence in turns. The bike is more than up to the task as it is, you shouldn't need to lower it or anything. Remember to stay loose on the bars - no death grip, and you should be able to flap your elbows (chicken wings).

You shouldn't really ever have to use the rear brake on the track - Rely on the front brake. "Ease, then squeeze" is how my track day instructors teach. Ease (lightly) begin braking to settle the suspension, then squeeze to slow down. And honestly, I hardly use the brakes at all at track days. Focus less on going fast in the straights, and more on trying to be smooth and set yourself up well for the corners. I find myself primarily sticking in 3rd gear, less worrying about shifting and hard braking, and more on being smooth and proper body position. Speed (in terms of lower lap times) will naturally come as you become more smooth through the corners.

And your lines look way off. Did they have instructors and follow-the-leader sessions? Maybe I'm spoiled by my local track day organization, but if you ask, they're willing to work with you all day to help improve your lines, body position, and riding all together.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I hardly use the brakes at all at track days. Focus less on going fast in the straights, and more on trying to be smooth and set yourself up well for the corners. I find myself primarily sticking in 3rd gear, less worrying about shifting and hard braking, and more on being smooth and proper body position. Speed (in terms of lower lap times) will naturally come as you become more smooth through the corners.

This is good advice. When I did a couple track days with CSS, the first few sessions of the day are done with no brakes. There is enough going on without having to worry about braking points and trying to remember what gear to be in. 3rd or even 4th gear is plenty. The higher gears will help smooth out your throttle response so you can get a nice roll on once you've got the bike leaned over.

A good instructor should follow you and assess your pace, then pass and ask you to follow him at that pace. That way you're comfortable and can follow his direction without trying to ride above your ability.

The confidence you get from a track day will translate into better street riding, even when you're just commuting. I think this is one of the best unsung praises of track days. Everyone already knows they're fun. :)

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
seems like your chilling in 5th or 6th gear from the video. That's why you have no power.

Yes, that was the 2nd session of the day, I learned about my mistake and the instructor mentioned to use only 2 gears, so once I went to 3, I removed my foot off the gear shifter and kept it on footrest, that was my first step, then later on, I tried practicing the same on the right, not to touch the brake lever.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Have faith in that tire! I have the PR2'S, never had a traction issue at the track.

Am guess my problem is, I'm coming on to the tank and there is no weight on the back, and with a slightest tap on the brake, the rear locks and the bike looses traction and swerves a bit.

And my shoes, they are new to me, So, IDK how much pressure i'm putting on compared to my daily riding shoes..!

I'm planning on adding this led light on to the bike, attached to my brake light, I can see my hand on the brake, but I can't see my leg and unknowingly I'm applying rear, sometimes on the street too.
2 Blue 2" LED Waterproof Flexible Strip w Adhesive Back Car Motorcycle Truck | eBay like this in a diff color and stick it below the Speedometer. Can you someone help me with the actual wires, where I have to tap into. Thanks.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

WarriorDog

Reaction score
Visit site
This is good advice. When I did a couple track days with CSS, the first few sessions of the day are done with no brakes. There is enough going on without having to worry about braking points and trying to remember what gear to be in. 3rd or even 4th gear is plenty.

Like MattR and beatle says,, STAY OFF YOUR BRAKES. Use the throttle to set the speed you want to take the turn with. Be at the correct speed BEFORE you start the turn.
If you will notice - Almost EVERY crash picture will show a skid mark leaving the pavement in a straight line off to the gravel. The skid mark happens when the back brake locks up, then the bike wants to stand up and go in a straight line instead of taking the turn.

Stay off the brakes. Now saying that I realize that sometimes you will be way too hot coming in to a corner and need to brush off some speed and you will have to use your brakes - I got that. Don't depend on them for helping you take the corners. Your front tire turning will scrub off some speed when you push the bars too.

This Guy teaches No Brakes - Frank Kinsey. He does a lot of track days at Roebling Road near Savannah.

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Am guess my problem is, I'm coming on to the tank and there is no weight on the back, and with a slightest tap on the brake, the rear locks and the bike looses traction and swerves a bit.

And my shoes, they are new to me, So, IDK how much pressure i'm putting on compared to my daily riding shoes..!

I'm planning on adding this led light on to the bike, attached to my brake light, I can see my hand on the brake, but I can't see my leg and unknowingly I'm applying rear, sometimes on the street too.
2 Blue 2" LED Waterproof Flexible Strip w Adhesive Back Car Motorcycle Truck | eBay like this in a diff color and stick it below the Speedometer. Can you someone help me with the actual wires, where I have to tap into. Thanks.

This is a big thing I would recommend for track day riders. Now I've never done one myself, but I'm very interested and would love to (just haven't gotten around to it yet).

Wear your gear for a few rides BEFORE you head to the track. Gloves and boots can have a completely different feel if you put them on for the very first time when you are at the track. Also, you mentioned that you started moving your feet back, this is a good strategy. You definitely don't want to be accidentally applying either brake.

And just my $.02, you shouldn't need to install a brake light indicator to know if you're hitting the brakes. The brake pedal simply shouldn't be a resting place for your foot in the same way that you shouldn't cruise around with the front brake partially squeezed. If you have too much play in either lever that you feel you need to have them squeezed in order to brake in time, bleed your brakes, or buy new pads if they are worn. Both of my brake levers can be felt VERY early on in the pull, so if I rode around with any kind of squeeze, I would be on the ground in a short period of time.

Other than that, I'm glad you had a good time and it looks like the weather was really nice for the day! We need some of that weather in the Chicago area!

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Wear your gear for a few rides BEFORE you head to the track. Gloves and boots can have a completely different feel if you put them on for the very first time when you are at the track. Also, you mentioned that you started moving your feet back, this is a good strategy. You definitely don't want to be accidentally applying either brake.

And just my $.02, you shouldn't need to install a brake light indicator to know if you're hitting the brakes. The brake pedal simply shouldn't be a resting place for your foot in the same way that you shouldn't cruise around with the front brake partially squeezed.

More good advice here. When you get the bike leaned over enough (and you're getting close) you'll start to scrape the toes of your boot on the pavement if your peg is sitting in the arch of your foot.

As for the gear, I found my track boots incredibly clumsy when I first started riding. I felt so clumsy, in fact, that I thought I had blown my transmission up in the first session! With my left peg in the arch of my boot, I wasn't able to completely release the shifter. Fortunately I got to 3rd gear before this happened so I could finish the session. That said, once I started positioning my feet properly, I did not have this problem. I left the bike in 4th gear and did not touch my brakes, clutch, or shifter for the rest of the session. That let me focus on everything else I was learning and actually helped me relax despite the newfound speed I was carrying through corners.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to find that, I prefer the video and just watched it again last night as a refresher.

Ya, I watched the video and it is so funny in a way, as they are pointing out my mistakes from yesterday.
Anyway, I feel this video should be watched after a track day, so you the feel of it.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Your right foot should never be anywhere near the brake pedal on the track. And like I said, you should be using your from brake for 99% of track day riding.

Proper foot position will keep you from accidentally dragging your toes, and it allows your legs to support your body when moving around on the bike.

Proper foot position-
100_1851_Medium_.jpg

Wrong foot position
_ebb4973_-_version_2.jpg