new oil leak

hamousher

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I am really hoping some knowledgeable person out there can help me. On the last two occasions when I have ridden my bike it has dumped a tiny amount of oil. There are two rubber pipes ending close to the co2 sensor on the exhaust, right side of bike. One is the fuel tank overflow or breather, but I can't trace the other and I think that is where the oil is from. On checking the pipe it seems dry but the oil patch is directly underneath the pipe. The oil seems very thin as in maybe not engine oil. It has only just started to do this so I am concerned that the problem may get worse. Anyone with Ideas on where the pipe goes and what could be the problem.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you peek under the tank(you don't have to lift it), you'll see two hoses(same diameter, one on each side. One as you said is the breather, the other is the tank over flow.

Make sure both lines come out the bottom of the tank and travel to that "loop" on the lower rights side. (as I re-call, the hose ends have a pink line on them). They need to travel smoothly with NO kinks. You can feel and see(kinda hard but do-able) the lines and that there's no kinks...

The below pic is from the inside of the tank, vent and overflow internal steel lines tht travel to the bottom of the tank(where the hoses hook up to..).

Double click to enlarge;

Last edited:

hamousher

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I have looked at the bottom of the tank and can now see those two pipes and yes they are the two that appear by the co2 sensor, although I can't see any color on them. I can't identify which pipe has discharged the Oil. But if they both go to the tank I guess what must have happened is that there must have been a residue of fuel of which some components had evaporated over a period and got stuck in the pipe ,then recently with the warm weather some of the fuel in the tank must have expanded and run down the overflow, which in turn mixed with the residue already in the pipe and then ran out at the bottom. With the result that it looked just like fine oil with no fuel smell. So no worry its not really an oil leak at all. I guess I need to make sure that the pipes are not trapped anywhere so this can't happen again.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the runs are straight you should be good.

Not necessary but if you wanted to shoot a spritz of compressed air thru the tubes would comfirm thier clear (I would shoot from the tank down).

Also, slightly separating the hoses (just overnight) and putting a piece of paper under each should help determine what is leaking (if it continues).

It may have just been a full tank expanding and dumping some excess fuel..

BTW, I just peeked at mine. There should be a WHITE line painted around the LOWER ends of the hoses, right about where it goes thru that "retainer" loop.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I have looked at the bottom of the tank and can now see those two pipes and yes they are the two that appear by the co2 sensor, although I can't see any color on them. I can't identify which pipe has discharged the Oil. But if they both go to the tank I guess what must have happened is that there must have been a residue of fuel of which some components had evaporated over a period and got stuck in the pipe ,then recently with the warm weather some of the fuel in the tank must have expanded and run down the overflow, which in turn mixed with the residue already in the pipe and then ran out at the bottom. With the result that it looked just like fine oil with no fuel smell. So no worry its not really an oil leak at all. I guess I need to make sure that the pipes are not trapped anywhere so this can't happen again.

^^ + for good explanation. I think you nailed it. It does condense into a slurry which is black/brown. However, it has a very strong fuel odor too!

When I bought mine both lines where kinked under the tank. This caused that issue in one line while the other the drain from the cap area, released small puddle of water smelling of fuel.

Lift the tank and confirm the the hoses are not kinked. However, them hanging below the eyelet next to O2 sensor is good sign they are close to the right routing.

*** BE VERY CAREFUL *** lifting the tank from the front as many have over stretched the wires for the fuel gauge and fuel pump. Its a two handed job and is best done with a 18" wooden stick as a tank prop.

I have a post some where on the topic!

hamousher

Reaction score
Visit site
I have now checked under the tank, but the first point to note was where the two rubber hoses end by the centre stand and after cleaning all the road muck etc. I have found two white rings. The one on the hose from the left side of tank was nowhere near the clip affair where the white ring on the right side was right on the clip. After the hose passed through the frame just under the tank there was a big dip in the pipe, so I pulled more of the hose through and behold the white ring is now inline with the other pipe.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have now checked under the tank, but the first point to note was where the two rubber hoses end by the centre stand and after cleaning all the road muck etc. I have found two white rings. The one on the hose from the left side of tank was nowhere near the clip affair where the white ring on the right side was right on the clip. After the hose passed through the frame just under the tank there was a big dip in the pipe, so I pulled more of the hose through and behold the white ring is now inline with the other pipe.

That's them!!

Count on every time you lift the tank, at least one will want to stay up and not in the "loop".

I just remembered, when I got my bike, the ends of those hoses were pretty nasty. Just road grime sticking to fuel moisture seeping/venting out the end.

Now you know, should you lift the tank, where the hoses should be if fully back in place! :thumbup: