Cat elim pipe w/ stock muffler = crazy idea?

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Like others I love my FZ6 but wish it was just a little less quiet. I've been kicking around the idea of buying pipes to get more sounds but am concerned about spending the cash and ending up hating them. I scanned youtube for clips but the same exhaust sounds so different clip-to-clip that I can't figure out which sound is right so still not sure I want to commit the big bucks.

After all this, I started wondering - since I'm not looking for more horsepower and only a little extra sound would a cheap cat elim pipe without changing out the stock muffler make any difference? Anyone tried this or have thoughts?

Neil

Hooligan
Reaction score
Visit site
Louder, a little.

It will make it a little louder, but will also give a little more power as well.
I have just ordered the Arrow one, to go with my Acropovic Ti cans.
Not sure what it will do to the air/fuel mix.
I bought my FZ6 with the cans already fitted, and it has a few flat spots.
I have a Power Commander 3 sitting here beside me, which will be fitted tomorrow, provided it stops raining.

Neil. :thumbup:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just wish i could find a full titanium exhaust system. They make them for just about every bike out there. I guess ours isnt on the list....:mad:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just wish i could find a full titanium exhaust system. They make them for just about every bike out there. I guess ours isnt on the list....:mad:
I don't think it will be to long before one is produced. More and more people are seeing the light of the FZ6 revolution. Chin up mate

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Just realized this came back to life - thought it was dead. I ended up converting some old stuff into cash (thanks eBay) which minimized my concern about the cost of exhaust so I took a chance and ordered a set of Laser quads. They're on backorder for a couple of weeks but hope they sound good when they get here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
Would like some cans with a deep, throatier sound. Any suggestions? Also have noticed a lot of heat on the tail section. Anyone have any problems with cooked wiring? Anyone tried some form of heat shield/insulation?

gbbisi

Reaction score
Visit site
gut the damn thing, it runs better, better mid range pull. Also it did not make it any louder than what it was, people bull**** too much

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cut it out, it does change the sound slightly, it gives it slightly deeper sound, but does not change it dramatically. the laser exhaust site says they gain 3.3 hp by putting in a cat eliminator pipe.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a 1" drill bit and put it in the muffler. Push it in and drill threw the inside. Do both sides. I have done it and it sounds great.

S

sportrider

I want the Two Brothers but I'm too cheap to fork out all the cash.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep wondering how the bike would sound with the just the cat eliminator. Does anyone have this done, and if so can you take a video of it for us?

-bryan

DanG

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I tried it. Not a lot of difference really - sound is very slightly louder and power is not noticeably (seat-of-the-pants gauge) higher. I wouldn't recommend spending any money on it....

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I tried it. Not a lot of difference really - sound is very slightly louder and power is not noticeably (seat-of-the-pants gauge) higher. I wouldn't recommend spending any money on it....

Ok, thats what I needed to know. If anything I might see if I can find someone who can madrel mend a pipe to use. That is if I can get it for next to nothing...

-bryan

Moe

Reaction score
www.ruckerperformance.com
I gutted my muffler and made a cat eliminator pipe.It sounds just like a $$$ muffler.
I added turn downs to it also.Inside this thing is a busy place,the exit exhaust comes from the middle of the baffles.
It is now no more than a wide spot in my system...I love it.

Last edited:

DanG

Reaction score
Visit site
... If anything I might see if I can find someone who can madrel mend a pipe to use. That is if I can get it for next to nothing...

-bryan

FYI, the bend in the cat pipe is 45°. I bought a 45° bend and welded some 2" tube on one end and some 1-7/8" on the other. These sizes fit over the existing muffler and down-pipe ends.