125 or 250cc Track Bike

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
If I wanted to get a 125 or 250cc bike for trackdays, where should I start? Should I look for something like an old CBR125 or something and mod that up or should I look for something more specific?

I am thinking about something like the Aprillia RS125 or something.

Last edited:

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd suggest the Kawasaki EX250. Plentiful. Cheap parts (see eBay) Runs very good for a 250. OEM suspension is adequate but can be improved (with moderate effort and/or some ca$h)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
4 or 2 stroke? I'd agree the Ninja 250 would be a great bike, cheap to buy, cheap to fix. You could even by a second one with a blown motor to have for spare parts.

If you go 2 stroke the Yamaha RZ series is GREAT! There are alot of them in Europe, cheap and with a few easy tune, very quick and great brakes. I think in Europe they made some smaller sizes too, I believe a 125 and a 250 in addition to the 350.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
4 or 2 stroke? I'd agree the Ninja 250 would be a great bike, cheap to buy, cheap to fix. You could even by a second one with a blown motor to have for spare parts.

If you go 2 stroke the Yamaha RZ series is GREAT! There are alot of them in Europe, cheap and with a few easy tune, very quick and great brakes. I think in Europe they made some smaller sizes too, I believe a 125 and a 250 in addition to the 350.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Just saw the link to the Aprillia, never mid on the RZ, get the Aprillia!

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I would jump up to a CR450R, WR450F(or YZ), etc...Them build it into a Super Single.
monogp_07.jpg

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Cool, thanks. I'm just thinking I might like road racing better than the enduro stuff and the wife would be happier about it as well. She's not keen on the enduro stuff but is fine with track racing.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, thanks. I'm just thinking I might like road racing better than the enduro stuff and the wife would be happier about it as well. She's not keen on the enduro stuff but is fine with track racing.

That's unusual, an reason she is okay with RR vs. Enduro? Most RR crashes are lowside and all you do is slide, no big deal, just a little sore on the hip afterwards.

Last edited:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Yeah, she likes the idea of run-off areas and one-piece leathers I think. Plus, most of the crashes she sees on TV the guys walk away from.