Which Loctite?

W

wrightme43

Man that is a good question. I would use blue if you plan on taking it apart again with hand tools. If you use a air impact to remove them use red.

Red can also be broken with heat from a torch followed by a hammer blow.

I do not know for certain what the call out if for in the manual.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
... I do not know for certain what the call out if for in the manual.

Thats the problem with the service manual. It does not specifically say which Loctite. There are different strengths of loctite that could be used 242 and 271. I have not taken the discs off yet [story below] but if those discs do not come off reasonably then the bolts are either wrenched on by some disgruntled assembly factory worker or they used the high strength stuff :(.

Story Time :>

I really want to remove and replace my tires myself but I'm not finding many folks that recommend that. I have the money for the No-Mar but for once a year? I didn't really want to muck about with getting the Harbor Freight model up to speed and the Wikco is a bit much for what it is. Scratches, I'm told are inevitable with tire irons therefore -- Dealer.

Problem I see with the non-caring Dealer is warping my discs and I would rather not argue that with them. Therefore I will remove the discs - if I can.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the problem with the service manual. It does not specifically say which Loctite. There are different strengths of loctite that could be used 242 and 271. I have not taken the discs off yet [story below] but if those discs do not come off reasonably then the bolts are either wrenched on by some disgruntled assembly factory worker or they used the high strength stuff :(.

Story Time :>

I really want to remove and replace my tires myself but I'm not finding many folks that recommend that. I have the money for the No-Mar but for once a year? I didn't really want to muck about with getting the Harbor Freight model up to speed and the Wikco is a bit much for what it is. Scratches, I'm told are inevitable with tire irons therefore -- Dealer.

Problem I see with the non-caring Dealer is warping my discs and I would rather not argue that with them. Therefore I will remove the discs - if I can.

First of all, I use the 242 for brake rotor screws and torque to spec (13 ft/lb) They will NOT come loose! You are risking seizing the screws in the wheel if you use the Permanent Loctite for this application.

As far as the tire changing: I went the Harbor Freight route. As you noted, it requires a bit of modification to the hardware before you can consistently remove and reinstall tires without scratching the rim edges. I fabricated custom mounting plates, nylon wheel clamp inserts, a nylon sliding shoe for the tire iron and other items to make it work to my satisfaction. In additon, I made a wheel balance stand as well.

After all of this, I am able to swap a front or rear tire, including balancing, in about 30 min.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I use blue loctite for screws and bolts going into a hole and red loctite for nuts going onto fixed shafts.

For example, on the TM I use blue on the fairing screws and red on the nut that holds the clutch basket on.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have some more bad news for ya...... the dealer will scratch your wheels also. they will give you a little money off or something but will not replace/repair your wheel. I have seen it happen more than once and the one time it happened to me the guy said oh im glad it wasn't a marchesini wheel.......... I almost killed him.