'Paired' Tires

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Why should sets of tires match? Surely this is a 'story' propagated by tire manufacturers to get us to buy more of their tires, (Sort of like tobacco companies telling everyone smoking was OK)

I just can't imagine that an un-matched pair could be that bad. I don't know anyone that runs matching pairs on a dirt bike. We always find the best front/rear combination for the terrain that gives the best grip/feel and go with that.

So go on - convince me.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Think wet road conditions. For example you have a Pirelli Strada on the back, their centre is flat, no threads. The Pirelli front is designed to clear most of the water on the road surface so the rear has a more "clear" path. If you have a Bridgstone front, it may clear less water because the BT rear will be able to clear its own path.

Tires are designed to work in various conditions as a pair. If you mix them, they may or may not work well together :D

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Think wet road conditions. For example you have a Pirelli Strada on the back, their centre is flat, no threads. The Pirelli front is designed to clear most of the water on the road surface so the rear has a more "clear" path. If you have a Bridgstone front, it may clear less water because the BT rear will be able to clear its own path.

Tires are designed to work in various conditions as a pair. If you mix them, they may or may not work well together :D

And to add to that, tyres have different profiles so if you have a rounded front and sharper profile back then handling will be affected. I have been told by a good friend who knows his tyres that sometimes it really doesn't matter but it all depends on tyre, bike, riding style...etc...

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
rubber compounds could be slightly different as well, a BT medium could be different than a michelin meduim...which would let one tire slip before the other.

and to add to the profile, i went for a ride with FZ6inNH a couple weeks ago and we had the 2 different stock tire sets on the bike and mine was visually wider.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
rubber compounds could be slightly different as well, a BT medium could be different than a michelin meduim...which would let one tire slip before the other.

and to add to the profile, i went for a ride with FZ6inNH a couple weeks ago and we had the 2 different stock tire sets on the bike and mine was visually wider.

Yeah, If memory serves me well, the BTs were a bit wider than the Dunlops and the Stradas....

flyer34

Reaction score
Visit site
I, for one, won't try to convince you. Honestly, unless you're seriously tracking/racing the bike, I don't think 'matched' pairs are going to make a world of difference on your work commute or quick trip to the supermarket. Common sense prevails.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I, for one, won't try to convince you. Honestly, unless you're seriously tracking/racing the bike, I don't think 'matched' pairs are going to make a world of difference on your work commute or quick trip to the supermarket. Common sense prevails.

-1. It can make a huge difference. Always run matched tires. One of my buddies ran mis matched on his bike even though I told him not to. After a week of riding and laying it down due to it he swears he will never run mis-matched again.

It can make the bike very unstable and even those corners that you are used to doing a certain speed everyday can become a problem.

Its just a bike rule of thumb. Always match. The small patch of tire that touches the asphalt is the only thing between you and the road. Wouldnt you want the best...

-bryan

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I know people who ran mismatched tires on their bikes, including different plys and brands.

It's like walking with two different shoes on your feet.

One tire could warm-up faster than the other one.

Tires come in different speed ratings.

I still know people who ran mismatched tires though. I personally don't think it's a good idea.